Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My loud rollers
Quote | Reply
Just picked up a set of CycleOps aluminum rollers and they are loud. The drums seem to be unbalanced as I can feel the whole back end of the bike vibrating. At the right speed the oscillation makes the whole apartment rattle, which is no good on the third floor. I am on a LOOK 555 with cheap Mavic wheels on conti GP 4000 IIs. Pumped them up to 120 psi and that helped some.but not enough to make them acceptable in the apartment. Any advice from the wise ones of ST?

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: My loud rollers [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a pad for under the rollers, something like you would see for flooring at a gym, it will deaden the sound and protect the floor. Or you could make one of the Free Motion setups that would probably soften the vibration as well as make your workout more challenging.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: My loud rollers [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried a yoga mat, help only slightly. I will track down something heavier. How much damping can you really get out of a mat?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The damping mat I have for my Bass Amp is incredible

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: My loud rollers [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it is....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also being an apartment dweller I'm considering the 'Elite Turbo Muin Fluid Direct Drive Trainer'. I know these are not rollers but it seems like the quietest and perhaps(?) the only product suitable.
Quote Reply
Re: My loud rollers [JimbobTheGreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The muin is kinda quiet but the fluid sounds like a clogged drain which is equally annoying. I think the kickr would be a better option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a puzzle floor from Sam's Club. Works rather well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have read other people having issues with those, it seems like some of the drums are out of round. Can you return them and get a better set like a Kreitler?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Minoura rollers and there are sealed bearings in the end caps. Each of mine at one point became loose and the trainer became very loud. I took the rollers apart, popped the bearing out and then siliconed it back in. Have not had any issues since. I'm not sure how the Cyclops are put together but this would be an easy thing to check and fix if it was causing the noise.
Quote Reply