Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My first crash
Quote | Reply
today was my weekly outdoor long ride, very hot and humid. I was sweating buckets and at one point noticed how slippery my arm pads were, and wondered what I could do to fix that... 30 or so miles later I hit a significant bump that I didn't see coming, my arms slid right out and down I went. Some nasty road rash and a few bruises. The helmet saved my head, I hit the ground hard on my head, the helmet cracked. I was able to put myself and bike back together and limp 25 miles home.

This was my first ever crash, I'm not really shaken up by it, just really want to not slip out of the bars and crash again. How do you keep from slipping out? I'm thinking I need to raise the angle of the bars some, maybe that'll keep some weight back...
Quote Reply
Re: My first crash [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check back in, tomorrow. Trust me, you'll feel worse.

I hope you're fine.
Quote Reply
Re: My first crash [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Check back in, tomorrow. Trust me, you'll feel worse.

I hope you're fine.

Ditto, you'll be sore soon.
Your first crash won't be your last crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, props to wanting to get back on the bike. I know a lot of people who would be reluctant to do so after crashing.

Can you angle the pad upwards so that your forearms are slightly angled up? This is usually more of a comfortable (and more aero person to person). If you don't have that option, I know that there are aftermarket wedge-like things you can buy to angle the pads (but not the bars) up.

Another option is using pads that better hug your forearms. (Pringles shaped)

It may also be smart to look at where your pads are in relation to your stem (fore and aft) The closer they are to your stem, the twitchier your bike it going to handle while you're in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got you beat (nothing to be proud of though)

Monday hit a rock with the rear. going 50kph in my 53/12. Road rash? check, stitches, check (5 below the elbow), broken rib? check, bruised ego? check?

Changing the snake bit tube in 95 degrees with blood everywhere - to ride the 25k home = not the best day I've had.

Could'da been worse - could have been run over by a car. I guess it can always get worse.

As they say about riding: It's not if you're going down, it's only a matter of when.

feel better soon.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: My first crash [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'm not able to angle them up, but I will look into getting those shims... I looked at the pads when I got home, and the forward side of the pad is worn more than the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a short term fix, you could try using a pad that's thicker in the front than back. This will angle your arms up a bit more. I don't think they sell them but you could probably find a way to make it work with electrical tape and cotton balls or something.

If you're looking for the shims, I saw someone post something about them in one of the Giant Trinity threads on here. (Since you can't angle those pads) My buddy had his LBS shim his Trinity pads and it works great for him. I'm looking to do the same for mine.

Best of luck to you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By coincidence, I nearly crashed this morning as well from the exact same issue. Usually, when i know it's going to be a sweaty ride, I wear arm sleeves or a tight long sleeve shirt that allows for more grip than just my skin. I simply didn't think about that at the crack of dawn. But with a bit of cover, I really don't feel the slip.

I suppose whilst training, one could add a bit of grip tape? That's a totally uneducated guess...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
today was my weekly outdoor long ride, very hot and humid. I was sweating buckets and at one point noticed how slippery my arm pads were, and wondered what I could do to fix that... 30 or so miles later I hit a significant bump that I didn't see coming, my arms slid right out and down I went. Some nasty road rash and a few bruises. The helmet saved my head, I hit the ground hard on my head, the helmet cracked. I was able to put myself and bike back together and limp 25 miles home.

This was my first ever crash, I'm not really shaken up by it, just really want to not slip out of the bars and crash again. How do you keep from slipping out? I'm thinking I need to raise the angle of the bars some, maybe that'll keep some weight back...

Sorry to hear about your crash but at least you didn't break anything (hopefully). Which way did you slip on your pads? Forward? Sideways? What bars/pads are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: My first crash [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hit the bump straight on and slid forward. I've been thinking that it is possible that I hit the bump so hard that the entire cockpit rotated downward from the stem, maybe.... I had to loosen the stem clamp to get the cockpit to rotate back up into the right position. It would have taken a lot of force to move them though, it could've rotated when it hit the ground. I think I went down on my right leg, bounced my head, and rolled a couple times, the point of my left shoulder is pretty raw. I'm on the stock P2 set up, t2 wing and t4+ bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are three main options, adding anti slip tape (it's a grippy surface, you'll see many world tour cyclists use this on the nose of their saddles for TTs) to the pads, or sections where you grip the bars; adding bar tape to the aero extensions (something like lizard skinz that stays grippy when wet, if you are grabbing there, your forearms should be less likely to slip off the pads); or take some fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand the foam pads, this should add some texture and make them much grippier...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently had my first crash too...glad you're ok...relatively!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been down twice. Once was slow in a turn, one was at about 23-25 mph. It took a while to get back in the saddle for both. The slow one did more damage (hit head, road rash, bruises, etc.). Kind of shook me up. The fast one was scary because I was in a pace line and don't even know what I hit. No pot holes or anything. Must have been a rock that just shot out to the side. Luckily I was able to bail into the grass on the side of the road and no major issues. I wish I would have gotten back on earlier both times. The longer I stayed off, the more my mind would psych me out about getting out there again. A little time in the saddle made me more comfortable than anything.

As far as slipping in the aero bars. I've had that issue, although I've never gone down due to it. Only if I'm trying to drink in the aero position and I'm wet from a swim or it's just that humid. All the weight on one arm and I'll get slippery. I've backed off of doing that for that reason. Actually looking to go from a regular bottle BTA to a hydration system just for that issue.
Quote Reply
Re: My first crash [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good thinking on the BTA. I was actually thinking about if it'd be worse if I had bit it in a turn. I went down on a clean road, no stones, but in a turn all that gravel and dirt would be hell. I have to get a new helmet before I get back out, but I am going to get out as soon as I get it. I'm racing IMWI in 6ish weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: My first crash [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   I was thinking along the same lines as you are. Maybe hand position on the extensions could be an issue? Even sanded pads get slippery once they break in. (I know from experience!) I ALMOST gone ass over tit while in aero when careening with a pothole many a time... I have ski bend extensions and while my elbows slip forward, my hands catch at the extensions. I own a pair of straight bars I wanted to switch over too, but have held off because of this same situation. I ride a relatively aggressive position, so straight bars would be more streamlined, but those clunky old ski bends catch my hands when I slip...
Also, more bar tape or even grip tape on the extensions???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since this was your first, how are you treating the road rash? Do you need any tips or advice?
Quote Reply
Re: My first crash [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dial soap, peroxide, and AD ointment... I'm open to better alternatives if you have any
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea. Stay away from the peroxide, that is the old school way of treating it. Your best bet is to keep the wounds wet and use a neosporin type ointment. You can get a product called tegaderm that is similar to plastic wrap to cover the wounds. I end up using Neosporin, saran wrap, and then hold it in place with coban and change them about every 24 hours.

A scab is bad, if the wound scabs it will take longer to heal and you will end up with a bigger scar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexer03 wrote:
Yea. Stay away from the peroxide, that is the old school way of treating it. Your best bet is to keep the wounds wet and use a neosporin type ointment. You can get a product called tegaderm that is similar to plastic wrap to cover the wounds. I end up using Neosporin, saran wrap, and then hold it in place with coban and change them about every 24 hours.

A scab is bad, if the wound scabs it will take longer to heal and you will end up with a bigger scar.

I've thrown dermaplast on mine with great results, but I don't know if this is a good thing, or a bad thing! I don't care much about scars, but that dermoplast spray seemed to help me alot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you wear gloves? It helps not just with the grip but preventing road rash on the palms if you go down. That's not helping with the armpads of course. Not sure if there's anything you can do with that, other than different shape? Maybe experiment with different 3rd party pad covers, or sticking grip tape to them?

Speaking of grip tape, can anyone recommend adhesive grip tape to use on the saddle nose?
Quote Reply
Re: My first crash [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm treating mine based on how they treat wounds at wound clinic in hospitals and based on the advice of infectious disease doctors and nurses that I know. I say treating because I'm currently doing this after a crash last weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will see if I can find this tegaderm. I used peroxide once as soon as I got home, I don't see a reason to keep using it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexer03 andi I had the same first reaction . I agree with his recommendations with two additional considerations:

1. unless you scrub the road rash until it is raw and there is no trace of any colour other than pink and your natural skin pigment, scrub more.

2. road rash over bruising is very dangerous. even if you scrub thoroughly, treat with Polysporin and cover with Tegaderm, the rash can still get infeted and the underlying bruising will keep blood pooling at the infection site. take a sharpie and draw an outline of your bruises. if the bruises grow, get to a doctor ASAP for some antibiotics.

good luck with the healing,
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one more point: when the wound is fully closed, keep it out of the sun for the next year or so. The new skin will be very fragile and have very little pigment. no one wants melanoma.

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely consider tilting your pads ~10 degrees and checking the torque on the bolts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next