Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My bike with Zipp wheels
Quote | Reply
Thought I would have my bike updated with all the parts I ordered 2 months ago for race season.
Well, here it is 2 months later and things have not turned out like I was hoping.
First, here is my bike, but it is still missing parts (the LBS ordered some wrong stuff), and so far
my brakes do not work correctly so what good is the bike. Second, I now have a bike that
has costed about 10K, and I can not even run right now so I can not race. Oh well, going
to be some long swim bike walk races. Sure was not expecting a 3 hour plus time at Wildflower.
Guess last place in my AG is better than nothing. :o(

Have fun. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those tire look like shit :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me first, seats too high, cranks should be parallel to floor.

Actually, it looks great.
This process must have taken its toll, you used to seem like an optomist, but lately..........
You are still the motor the drives the machine. Good luck in your race!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So do the Tangente, or whatever they are called, aero tires make up for the non aero round tube frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, if you are still missing stuff that the LBS ordered wrong and the brakes don't work, why were you freaking out about the tires?

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [mhemberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep Smile

I will say that my first 10 mile ride on the wheels and tires in the hills around my house felt great! I was going faster than I have in the past,
but this is probably because I am stronger on the bike now. I did not feel any issues with cornering going fast on turns. So, the wheels and tires
have met my cool factor, maybe nothing more. Sure emptied the pocket book. The boss has now told me I have NO more toy money. :o(

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not freaking out about the tires. I was VERY disappointed with Zipp. When you call a company for days, like I was told to do,
and be told they are going to ship something, and then find out when I called no one had done anything and I would not have the wheels
for my first big race, (when I thought I could run), maybe you do not get upset, but yep I did. Now, I did not find out parts
were missing or the brakes did not work until I got home. So, this was why I wanted the bike for a few weeks before WF. Now
the stress is still one to try and get the bike to work correctly. I do NOT like dealing with issues like this at the last minute when it is not my fault.

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [VitesseLegere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a bike that fits me like a glove. This makes up for non aero round tubes any day, IMO.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheels (and tires) look great! So, what happened between the TBF Ice Breaker and now that you cannot run? You seemed to be running pretty well for a 50 year old at the Ice Breaker. ;-) Are you not even going to WF? Or do you mean that you will swim and bike hard and then do the best you can on the run?

BTW, are you going to be out at the SIT tomorrow?

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

How often to you have to repack the wheel bearings in that car/boat?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHat's the matter with the brakes?
Are they Zero G?

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [TriCeratops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, I do not know what I did to myself. (Thanks for the comments on my past running, yea, I was not doing too bad for a 50 year old guy).

All I know is on a tuesday night 2 weeks ago I did my normal stretching, one of which are the legs lifts stuff. You always feel those in your abs.
I then on weds felt a little funny, but pretty normal. I then went for my 7 mile run Weds evening and felt a little sore in the gut. That night I tossed
and turned in bed. The next morning it felt like I pulled my groin, and I could not walk right, or run. So, it is now 2 weeks later and I still can not
run without pain in my gut. Seems like it may be one of two things. I either pulled a muscle in my stomach, or I got a hernia. Was going to
try to go to the doc yesterday, but had to pick up my bike. So, if it does not get much much better, will be calling on tuesday. Thanks for asking.

So, since I have paid for 4 races in the next 4 weeks, what do I do? If I only did this sport to race and try to "win", then I just stay home.
If I am doing this sport to stay in shape, be social, and go places with my wife and kids, then I go and just do what ever happnes. I read enough posts on ST
from folks who can not do anything, that I at times feel bad even complaining that I can not run.

So, was hoping to keep trying to beat younger folks, but I guess that is no longer in the cards for a while.

So yep, will go to SIT tomorrow. I seem to be able to swim and bike okay, so might as well use my training and see how I do compared to others.
Want to run a 15 minute mile pace with me? Smile I assume you will be there? Kick butt!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not had to do any real type maintenance on the car yet. I have to admit I do not take it out of the garage much. But, with my kids getting married in the next few months,
guess I will set up all the toys this summer, and see if I can get my new son in laws to be to learn to water ski behind the ski boat.

So, today I start putting the boat lift cover back on so I can get the ski boat on the lake. Got to start getting my trampoline thing setup. Got to see how many folks
I can get to do flips on it this summer. I know when I did a triple flip a few years ago, that was a rush!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new brakes I put on a ZG. Again, since I did not do them, I have no idea what is happening. Was real stupid of me to not
ride the bike at the LBS before I brought it home. Its a 90 minute drive down the hill to the LBS, so not something I do quickly.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The following, per Jim Martin & John Cobb:

At 200 watts, a full aero frame will save you 2 minutes per 40K. I recently sold such a frame (P3-SL) for well under $1000.

By contrast, your $5000 wheels will only save you 70 seconds per 40K over the very worst 32-spoke training wheels. And those tires -- THOSE TIRES -- only about 6 seconds. And that's discounting the possibility of using one of the half dozen or so tires that roll faster, but may have higher drag.
Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, the wheels where the dumbest money per second I have ever spent!!! The best have been my longer crank arms.

My last big was a hed aerolab with hed aerobars, zipp 404's etc. So, in theory, this may have been faster than my existing bike,
but it did just not fit correctly. And, if I tried to go down hills fast, it was start to wobble, so I never could.

So, when I went to look for a new bike, my only criteria was fit and stable down hills. Chad turned me onto Ves with the DE frame.
So, with this bike, it fits like a glove, and I ride the aero position for a long time, and I can fly down hills without a worry.
So, between the two bikes, I am much faster on my fitted, non aero frame.

I assumed I would lose time with the Zipp tires. Smile

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10K for that? Did your LBS overcharge you for something or everything?

Pasadena Tri Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
read carefully: when you are "dealing with issues 'like this' at the last minute", it is always your fault unless a meteor came from the heavens and smashed your previous bike in an instant.

i.e., 'lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on anyone else's part' ...

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [vtrader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's amazing to think of what else could have been bought for that same amount of money. What's that old saying about a fool and his money?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice wheels, but what is that thing your bike is leaning against?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing against Yaqui, it's a pretty bike and all, but decking it out w/ those aero wheels is what my Dad always referred to as "gilding a turd".

Like Jens said, you spent a ridiculous amount of $ to "buy" very little speed, when you could have gotten sooooo sooooo much more bang for those bucks.

You really need to change yer sig line now. It should be:

Spending MORE with LESS brains.

<< I now have a bike that has costed about 10K >>

And kindergarten grammar skills to go with it. "Costed"? My daughter is not even 4 yet, and she speaks better than that.

Why not splurge for the $60 or whatever the LBS will charge for a full tune-up?
I bet they can make those 'lousy' brakes work.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The best have been my longer crank arms."
----------------------

If I were you, I would be seriously looking at the possibility of those long crankarms being related to the run injury you described above. Your Psoas does not appreciate being forced to contract even further when it is already in a shortened state.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing in looking at the bike. It looks like an awfully awkward and difficult range of movement to get the cranks back up from the bottom position.... Lots of strain on the hamstrings, psoas, hip flexors, and lower abs to get from way down there, through so far back, and then up so high.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I am much faster on my fitted, non aero frame."

I think they are asking why you didn't spend a couple hundred extra bucks for one of the higher-end Yaqui frames with the aero downtube.
Last edited by: Zoe's Dad: Apr 28, 07 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: My bike with Zipp wheels [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the layman, any more data on this comment? I sure do not want to do anything to hurt myself, but I seem to have my seat adjusted
to the same angles as if I was using the 180 cranks. So, being tall, logically it seems like it would be okay.
(logically, why do folks 5"8 not ride 150 cranks?)

So, I continue to try and get data. They clearly have helped my speed, but if they do damage, ...

Thanks

Dave

Quote Reply

Prev Next