Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much."
Quote | Reply
...It's cheaper than a boat.
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [Hussman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol or a car
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any sport now costs a lot. My family is happy to see where our money is going, at least it's not spent on drugs and booze so you never got anything to show for it.
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [Hussman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hussman wrote:

Big time a lot cheaper than a boat, or snow skiing.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...it's cheaper than a mistress.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its a healthy addiction
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Lol or a car

Not my car

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i once owned a fairly 'cheap' jetski, in so much as it wasnt the latest and greatest. And F me, bikes are cheaper by a long way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been saying this for years (and so has my wife)...compare it to fishing, hunting, golf, etc. and they can all be pretty comparable.

You can do them cheaper, but they're all expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy who races motorcycles.

I don't know how they have money left over to put food on the table.

Andy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a small 20 runabout and just keeping gas in it was an exercise in futility and reckless spending. Our family friend has a Malibu ski boat and I think he has to rob banks to keep the tank full
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After my dad took up golf a few years ago, my mom would complain that he was gone all the time and spending too much money on clubs. I would always defend him with 1. He's not out whoring; 2. It's still cheaper than a mid-life crisis Ferrari; and 3. At least he's getting some exercise. Funny now how I have to use these same excuses to my husband, but I usually stick with "It's healthier than a drug habit."

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, my bike is worth more than my truck.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came to triathlon from sailboat racing. I could buy a new bike every year for what I spent just on slip fees.
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're snow skiing all wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I priced out a moderately trick engine build (old-school 5.0 Ford V8) and I got to over $5000 Canadian in parts, before looking at machining costs and assuming I'd be doing all the wrenching. Bikes are cheap.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be married to the crazy horse lady. Off the top of my head:
45k for F350 truck
20K for horse trailer
1k per month for hay and feed for 10 horses
20k for tractor
200k for 20 acres, 300k for barns, house, fencing, etc.

The big difference is we could generate a nice cash flow boarding horses and teaching lessons. My bike can't do that.
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way to leave the horse business as a millionaire is to start as a billionaire...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hussman wrote:

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not even that bad I spent like 3k on my tt bike for a new frame, disc rear deep front, power, and it straight up looks pimpin like a ferrari except it doesn't make me fat and destroy the environment worth every penny. I bet people are like o fuck that ride is off da chain!! and get inspired n shit so I feel like I'm doing humanity a favor to keep it from further embarrassing itself from people dehumanizing themselves by living sedentary lifestyles. Like come on an ironman is the most inspirational shit to hit this earth like straight up
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Dec 21, 14 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [bradleykd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bradleykd wrote:
The only way to leave the horse business as a millionaire is to start as a billionaire...

growing up, and working in, this industry... yes. love this quote.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding skiing, on a per hour basis skiing is much more expensive, but as I haven't bought new skis in 10 years (I'm due for a pair), my bike has cost me more. Unless I count lodging.

Horses, now that's a money pit.

Funny stuff all.
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPeterson wrote:
I have a buddy who races motorcycles.

I don't know how they have money left over to put food on the table.

Andy

Yup, all I did were a few track days but also toured a lot. Here's just one example. For racing, you need ultra sticky tires front and back so you'll pay $300 a piece for cheap ones. They last ONE race! My Goldwing, a set of tires were around $600 then add in mounting then figure they were good for somewhere between 12,000 and 18,000 Km at the outside. That's a season of riding at best. Not to mention the $30K+ cost of the Goldwing (and then another $10K in extras) and then the gear - helmets, with intercom, multiple jackets, heated vests and gloves, boots, Hotel / Motel rooms.

Or, you could look at the $10K+ I have in Radio Controlled Planes and Helicopters. Which I haven't used for a good 5 years so it is all outdated and worth nothing. And that's not a large investment compared to the guys who fly the big models.

So now, in addition to doing Triathlons, I'm into Model Trains, N scale. Not much time but a decent DCC engine with sound runs $300. If you want good prototype steam, they are $500+. And as I've found out, people don't have 1 or 2 engines, the rule of N+1 REALLY applies here. And then while a boxcar or similar rolling stock can be had for $25 or so, the better ones are $45 and people run hundreds of them. Now, you want to build a setup, you need lumber, you need tools. What you really need though is space and time!

Anyway, compared to a lot of other sports & activities, "Triathoning" is not all that expensive and once set up, depending upon your location and proclivity to buy a new bike or treadmill every year or two, its not too bad. Best of all, it is great for you health, much more so than most of the other things that people get involved with.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife (there probably is a lesson here for not having her sit next to me and be able to read these threads) wants to know how triathlon costs compare to stamp collecting or gardening or reading books from the library........

[As you may have guessed, we are not a dual-triathlete marriage......]

Quote Reply
Re: My best reply so far to the "Your bike parts cost too much." [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
Been saying this for years (and so has my wife)...compare it to fishing, hunting, golf, etc. and they can all be pretty comparable.

You can do them cheaper, but they're all expensive.

It's all good, until you do all of the above. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next