Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My Used Endless pool cost video.
Quote | Reply
Well I been asked many questions about the cost of my endless pool over the years that I bought used. So I made a little video going over the cost. I also discuss moisture since this is in my basement. Let me know if you guys have any more questions.

Quote Reply
Re: My Used Endless pool cost video. [Keith-OH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome set up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A video? Ugh. I can't watch a video at work. Now I have to wait until I get home.

We are planning our "dream home" to build in 18 months or so. Seriously considering an indoor EP. Thanks for posting this...looking forward to watching later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice video and awesome set up. Thanks for sharing.

What do you do for work? You seem pretty handy doing all this yourself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice vid, very informative, thanks for posting!

Question: What made you decide to install pool, as opposed to utilizing public/club/gym aquatic facilities? For many folks, just buying a treadmill can be a tedious process. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For anyone who doesn't want to watch the video, his total costs were ~$10400, but ~$2500 of that was a custom modification to his house to recess the pool into the ground. It also includes things like mirrors and stonework that he did. So, if you don't want to modify your house, you're looking at around $8000. Also it tooks him roughly 8 months of work, but he didn't go into exactly what that meant. I suspect he did a lot of the install himself instead of hiring someone to do it for him.

Thanks for making the video! I've wondered about the cost of doing this for a long time!
Last edited by: hammonjj: Jan 26, 18 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: My Used Endless pool cost video. [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dado- I am a factory worker but always enjoy working on stuff and challenging myself.

Brushman- It is about being efficient with my time. I keep myself very busy with work and working out.

Hammonjj- It took me so long to do since I had no clue what I was doing. With how I have it pushed up against the wall every measurement had to be perfect or there would of been a gap. Every detail took a lot of research before I started since this was all new to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the cost to have a brand new pool installed?
Quote Reply
Re: My Used Endless pool cost video. [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around 25k for the pool. Add another 5k for set up and another 5k if any custom work needs done.
Quote Reply
Re: My Used Endless pool cost video. [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brand new around 25k USD. My wife and I looked at a new one and then had a used endless pool fall in to our lap. I think between transportation, setup, pump replacement, installation, etc. we are in to it for 15k USD. I will say this though; it is just another tool. I have a swim background and this has been nice for a convenience factor for me. I don't have to drive anywhere and I can hit my sets. I'm pretty peaked out as a swimmer, so I haven't gotten any better, but I love my endless pool. When I'm living out west it allows me to get my swim work in without leaving the mountain. My wife is a slower IM swimmer (~1:20). She was the primary factor for getting this and low and behold she still swims the same pace because endless pool or real pool, she doesn't put in the work. I have another friend who bought a new endless pool who is in the same boat as my wife. They bought it thinking having it in the basement would magically make them fast, but they don't ever swim and put in the work!

Anyway, cool video OP. Have you seen any results from this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very informative video, thanks for sharing. Especially the financial and moisture considerations were very interesting.

Questions not about building it but about swimming in it:
Swimming in an endless pool is different from normal swimming because the speed is always the same, so you must always accelerate or decelerate to hold this speed.
-Having said this, do you notice this clearly and what percentage of your swimming time do you actually spend in the endless pool? (I guess you still swim in normal pools or lakes).
-I can imagine that because of the constant speed an endless pool is great to see straight away the speedeffects of small changes in technique, what is your experience about that?
Quote Reply
Re: My Used Endless pool cost video. [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turdurgler: As for results, I have not put in the work to improve at this point. I Just took the last 1 1/2 years to work on building my cycling/watts. So just recently I have been consistently swimming and running again but still at low volume.

Longtrousers: You are correct about how different swimming is in an EP. After my first swim in my pool I was like WTF did I just spend all this time and money on. At first I found it very hard to swim in. I like to explain it to people it is more like swimming up a river. For not having a swimming background at all it would kick my butt and I had to do short time sets. I like to use a gym pool one time per week for a longer swim. The change in stroke technique is very noticeable after only a few strokes. I will go from staying in the middle of the pool to the very front of the pool very quickly with improved forum. For technique work it has to be the best option. I can sit on the bike trainer for hours. I can run on the treadmill until my legs make me stop. But I cant swim in my EP for long swims. It is just so boring to me and it kicks my butt. But if I had a better swim focus I am sure I would get some great improvements from it. I have done a swim video in it but it was after like my 2nd swim in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: My Used Endless pool cost video. [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not and endless pool user but I've been doing the swim at home thing for a few years now with the Vasa erg.

You are def right that these are just tools and won't magically make you faster. On my erg, I have to work pretty hard to keep on improving, and itngets very hard - just like you have to bust tail in the water.

One unexpected thing I really like about my erg is that I can watch Netflix while using it. I do the occasional 2hr long session to a movie and it works great. (I put a 32 inch TV on the floor). Otherwise, the boredom factor is a challenge, as I imagine it would be with the endless pool.
Quote Reply
Re: My Used Endless pool cost video. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to lightheir comment about training with a Vasa SwimErg, here is another thread with comments by Jon that will be useful for those determining the cost/benefit ratio of options for getting quality swim training at home.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=6596450#p6596450
Quote Reply