Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes
Quote | Reply
Comments welcome :)

This is a pair of Louis Garneau Milan shoes I picked up on sale at Performance Bike for $75. I normally wear a 44 wide but sized up to 45 which fit surprisingly well. I just used a nice pair of very sharp scissors to cut out the tongue and the back and then I used Xpand Laces to finish them off. They slip on/off very easily but are also very secure while riding. They also "look" aero as they are considerably lower profile than my tri shoes. The fact that there's not a lot to "pull" against reinforces what I believe (and there's decent research to suggest) to be proper pedaling mechanics.

Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello GreenPlease and All,

Look fast to enter and exit .... perhaps you could leave them permanently attached to the pedals.

Also looks like we should reconsider how we enter our footware .... instead of top down ......... maybe a heel opening and closure with kick entry is the way to go.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, new legit niche product line just in wait to have hordes of triathletes drop $$$$ on, and with pro Thomas Gerlach set up to promote it!

I'm not even joking - I would seriously consider a heel-entry type shoe for sprint and oly (possibly longer?!) triathlons - I'm not bad at getting in my shoes on the bike right now, but every second counts in a sprint, and I'd bet I save more time in a sprint from a fast transition than using aero wheels. (I'm not horrendous at bike transitions too - I'm usually top 5% if I go sockless, but it does take some time to crawl into the shoes once I'm on the bike course.)

Thomas Gerlach - you've found that product line that can jump start your next career in tri-business!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rear entry tri shoes already exist?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think medical professionals wear these around hospitals...
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffips wrote:
Rear entry tri shoes already exist?

I really love these shoes and wear them for all of my races, but to be more effective, I think the BOA needs to be reworked. I hate spending ~5sec coiling up the extra wire to tighten the shoes. Instead, I would rather a BOA where you pull the wire and a spring inside coils up the extra after it's tight. As it is now, I feel like tri shoes with one big velcro strap are much faster to secure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my first thought as i waited for the post to load was "how do you make shoes out of supersonic tires?"
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with the lack of a heel, did you notice a power drop? I think I use the shoe's fit around the lower foot to generate power (especially when my foot is moving up) and not having the back of the shoe would, IMO, cause power loss. no? i'm thinking during a climb.

now, for a flat race, this might be great.
Last edited by: d00d: Aug 26, 16 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of my races are pretty flat. I'm 99.9% sure I haven't experienced a drop in power with these shoes. Would I use them for a race like Boulder Peak? Probably not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look ace.

On the turbo I actually pedal in shoes with no top, like sandals, so there is no pull up at all.
As you say, that's how it's supposed to be!
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
They look ace.

On the turbo I actually pedal in shoes with no top, like sandals, so there is no pull up at all.
As you say, that's how it's supposed to be!

Have you just cut out the front "toe enclosure" of the show, but still keep the straps (toes free, arch held in place), or did you just get ride of everything and just have a foot on top of a sole with some "sides" remaining to keep your feet from sliding off?
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The second one.,
It wasn't supposed to be like that, but it was a stop gap solution and I was still able to put out full power.

Essentially it was the bottom carbon bath tub section of a bont shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
The second one.,
It wasn't supposed to be like that, but it was a stop gap solution and I was still able to put out full power.

Essentially it was the bottom carbon bath tub section of a bont shoe.

Why not keep the straps with the bathtub and keep the toe box open. I am looking into something like this as I have some nerve issues and seeing if something like that could be positive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love seeing what people have come up with as far as lace-ups. The LG LA84 is another lace up shoe that some people have been hacking up for their own implementation of the elastic lace-ups - it is running $65 - $95 on Amazon.

Lots of pros are riding the SLX now including Cody Beals who has own unique take on the shoes. Lots of age-groupers as well, some of which who have emailed, PMed me pics. Love the innovation and ideas people are coming up with.

As for the Supersonic, I would love to see some real life recycling of bike tires. There has to be a business in there.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool implementation. IMHO, pulling up is overrated unless doing a serious climb, even then it's limited, for this AG'er any. It's more of an unloading then actual contributor to power.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam Hansen (TdF pro rider) has some custom shoes with a very low heel. Doesn't seem to hurt his climbing or sprinting.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, very nice. I've been inspired by Thomas to buy some laceups and give this ago and this is further confirmation.

What do they look like on your feet? (Pics, please.)

Have they ever pulled up and out?

Do you have to convert to a mash-down cycling style for these, or can you retain some circularity?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try to get some photos with them on my feet tomorrow. I'm a natural masher so I can't really say. This Sunday will be my first race with them (relatively flat).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work I like the innovation. Do you leave the laces on these set and just slide the foot in from behind? Or do they require tinkering at the bfront once in?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run a buckle closure around the back. Snap closed you are in. Or Velcro pull strap for weight/simplicity.

The Specialized shoes - I don't like them wires. I think it was one of the reasons Whitfield crashed in 2012 (mucking in the shoes).

If the reason for shoes-on-pedals in the first place is to avoid trying to run in cleats, then I have that problem solved for the past 3 years, race tested. The non-cleat low stack, minimal weight velcro pedal has been working flawlessly.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Run a buckle closure around the back. Snap closed you are in. Or Velcro pull strap for weight/simplicity.

The Specialized shoes - I don't like them wires. I think it was one of the reasons Whitfield crashed in 2012 (mucking in the shoes).

If the reason for shoes-on-pedals in the first place is to avoid trying to run in cleats, then I have that problem solved for the past 3 years, race tested. The non-cleat low stack, minimal weight velcro pedal has been working flawlessly.

What is this set up. You have velcro on your bike shoes and then velcro on a BMX platform pedal? This makes some good sense especially if you are only to pound down on the pedals. Pictures please.
Quote Reply
Re: My Thomas Gerlach Inspired Short-Course Cycling Shoes [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was you? Post up some pictures!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

It was a combination of that, while riding over a "speed bump" that was covering TV wires. His inattention, not the shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Efraim has you beat by many many years. Give him the credit he deserves!

Quote Reply

Prev Next