Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report
Quote | Reply
tl;dr - wind tought a hard lesson to MOPer. And I hate wind.

Pre-Race
Got in on Thursday. Checked in. Dropped off bike at bike tech for a tuneup. All that went really quickly. I'm glad I showed up on Thursday for checkin. Line was crazy on Friday. Tried out Normatec leg compression at expo. Awesome. But crazy expensive. Got a practice swim in on Friday morning. Lots of people out there so that worked out nice. Also did a short run.

Logistics
This was first point to point race. Especially since I travelled by myself it was slightly more challenging. I will say bike and run gear were easy to get to. Adequate parking for dropping off bike so that part was easy. . Race morning I had to park at convention center to catch shuttle to T1. Unfortunately shuttles were only running from 4-5:30 which was much earlier than I needed to be there since swim for half started at 8:30. Not a big deal. Got to t1. got things setup then hung out in changing tent to stay warm until shuttle to swim start came.

Swim
I was in the next to last wave of swim so I had plenty of time to use the bathroom and do a few short warmup runs. In water start. Water temp was great. Beginning took me a minute to find an open spot but soon I mostly avoided getting beat up. A little choppy due to the wind so got smacked in the face by the chop a bunch and saltwater in mouth more than I would like. But current assist made for a nice quick-ish swim for this slow swimmer. Ladder climb out of the water went better than expected. Volunteers were great.

Time: 30:03 - I’m a slow swimmer so with wetsuit and current assist this was right on target.

T1
Long run. 1/4 mile from swim exit to t1. They had a warm rinse tent to run through. Put on arm warmers and gloves. Needed to pee so used bathroom. No idea how I needed to pee. Already peed a bunch pre-start. Long run for me out of transition with bike.

Time: 8:03 - long run from swim, plus arm warmers, plus stopping to pee = slow. Still. I’m not sure what I was doing in transition all this time.

Bike
No issues on bike mount. First section was lots of turns for a little while getting to the main roads and then Ummmm....wind. Horrible headwind for the first 40 miles. After the first 10 miles I adjusted my target power goal. By mile 25 any power goals were out the window. Even with that my first 25 miles weren’t bad. Between miles 25 and 40 is were the wind was taking it’s toll and I was really slowing down trying to save my legs. I was going strictly by RPE at that point. I kept trying to go slower and slower but legs were not feeling great. They were exhausted. I took a couple gels early on in the bike and had started drinking my Gatorade/carbo pro/water mix since my system seemed to be accepting of it and I knew with fighting the wind I would probably be expending more energy. None of it worked. My back and right hip and hamstring were very tight and wouldn't loosen up. So even though the tailwind started at the turnaround my legs were just not doing much. With the tailwind I was 3.5+ mph faster but I really feel like the difference should have been greater but I didn’t feel it would be good for the run to push it too much at that point.

Drafting. I didn’t see a large amount of drafting but there was some. A few groups of 2 or 3 who were obviously “organized” drafters and then the long slightly broken up pelotons of people who seem to be oblivious that when passed they need to fall back out of the drafting zone. Or they just don’t care. There are definitely cyclists out there just “riding” and seem oblivious to rules, those around them. More than a few blocking penalties could have been handed out. I also almost crashed because somebody somebody didn’t even glance before he came out left. Just briefly pointed left as he came out. I ended up on the rumble strips.

Also, saw some idiots shortly out T1 throwing there gel wrappers on the ground. It was clearly intentional. WTF?!?

Time: 3:05:24 - this was about 15 minutes slower than my previous two HIMs and about 20 minutes off my goal.

T2
I nice "cyclocross" 200m trot after dismount. Can't say that was fun. Handed off bike. Had trouble finding bag but got it. Got changed. Had to pee again. WTF?!?
Time: 7:21 - again slow. again had to pee. after the bike I’m sure I was happy to sit for a second changing shoes

Run
Started my slow trot out of T2 waiting for legs and back to loosen up. Lol had somehow forgotten to remove arm warmers and gloves. With all the time spent in transition still didn’t get things right. Kept running. Dropped them at first aid station. First mile or two were normal, or so I thought, working out the stiffness. But never really worked itself out and my legs just hurt more and more. Kept my fueling up since it was still accepting but that wasn't translating to energy. So pretty much suffered the entire run. By mile 7 I started walking the first minute of every mile and running the rest. Managed to run the final 1.5 miles including "sprinting" down the carpet

Post finish
Post race my system rarely wants food. Ate a few bites of pizza. Some pretzels. Pepsi. Water. Started getting the chills. Got a space blanket from medical and sat in sun. Started feeling a little better.

Overall: Somewhat disappointed in my time. It was 25-30 minutes slower than my previous HIM efforts. For me, the wind really sapped my energy. The bike course was mostly on highways so really nothing great to look at. Swim course was fine. Run course was good. Got to pet a beagle during the run.
I think I ended up 57 out of something like 131 in my age group.

For those that finished. Great job. I know I wasn't the only one in pain on the bike. But one can't control the weather conditions and we all raced in the same wind.
Last edited by: TriTamp: Oct 24, 16 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer Ironman 70.3 Race report [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Name of race?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Name of race?

lmao. still recovering from race I guess. Ironman NC 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Name of race?

Doesn't your power output always should remain the same, regardless the circumstances?

Why switching from power numbers to RPE?

18Argon
Peter

Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [18Argon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to ask the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
18Argon wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Name of race?

Doesn't your power output always should remain the same, regardless the circumstances?

Why switching from power numbers to RPE?

18Argon
Peter

In theory, it should assuming you've set a reasonable target power goal. Given that it was a flat course and nice and cool I was targeting about 82% of my ftp. With the wind (and other factor I haven't pinpointed yet), I quickly realized I wasn't going to be able to hold that for the entire race. I'm new to racing with power and had only previously raced with power at Olympic distance. That worked out fine. I think RPE always has to be considered along with power. At a certain point based on how crappy my legs felt I had to keep reducing power or else the run would be a 13.1 walk.

I will also say it's clear to me I have a lot more work to do on the bike. I don't feel like I improved as much as I would have liked over the past year. Based on my other races this year, I have definitely improved, just not as much as I would have liked. And I believe the wind couldn't be the only reason for what I'm considering a poor performance.
Last edited by: TriTamp: Oct 24, 16 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:

I have the same question. My power number was well off as were 3 training partners' numbers that also did the race. The wind shouldn't have made a difference but it seemed to at least in this n=4 sample size. Maybe we were just all mentally weak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
My back and right hip and hamstring were very tight and wouldn't loosen up.

My right groin started tightening around mile 15 and never let up. First time it's ever happened on a ride. I think trying to keep a disc upright in that wind caused major issues. Luckily mine went away once off the bike.

Congrats on a solid finish. Throw your time out the window and move on to the next.
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hills make a difference why wouldn't wind? If it's a little hill/rolling hill, power would remain relatively constant, but if it's a big hill, you have to add a bit more power ... or roll backward :)

Same reasoning for wind, no? If it's a strong headwind, you have a choice between riding in place or rolling forward with more power.

Patrick E wrote:
TriathlonJoe wrote:

I have the same question. My power number was well off as were 3 training partners' numbers that also did the race. The wind shouldn't have made a difference but it seemed to at least in this n=4 sample size. Maybe we were just all mentally weak.

Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
TriathlonJoe wrote:

Haha I don't think anybody that finished yesterday was mentally weak. Physical weakness , for me, certainly was an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
My back and right hip and hamstring were very tight and wouldn't loosen up.

My right groin started tightening around mile 15 and never let up. First time it's ever happened on a ride. I think trying to keep a disc upright in that wind caused major issues. Luckily mine went away once off the bike.

Congrats on a solid finish. Throw your time out the window and move on to the next.

Thanks. Sure, I'm disappointed but every race is different and I just have some more work to do. Congrats to you too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race TriTramp. Enjoyed your write up. Some days you just have to roll with what the weather throws at you.

You are lucky the rumble strip didn't end your day. If that was along the interstate, I have seen an accident there every year 2012-15 that I raced due to the rumble strip and/or cones.

Regarding the need to drop back on your targeted power, I don't have a PM, so I have no experience here. I wondered about the mental aspect of riding that long into the wind just wearing you down. And then how about the effort/energy needed to keep the bike upright/straight into head/cross winds? I would imagine there is more engagement of core/upper body muscles on a windy day. Is there a certain amount of energy here that one is using that dictates a lower target power?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IL2tri wrote:
.....I wondered about the mental aspect of riding that long into the wind just wearing you down. ........quote]

The only thing that kept me going was that I knew there was a turnaround coming and then I would get the benefit of the tailwind.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IL2tri wrote:
Nice race TriTramp. Enjoyed your write up. Some days you just have to roll with what the weather throws at you.

You are lucky the rumble strip didn't end your day. If that was along the interstate, I have seen an accident there every year 2012-15 that I raced due to the rumble strip and/or cones.

Regarding the need to drop back on your targeted power, I don't have a PM, so I have no experience here. I wondered about the mental aspect of riding that long into the wind just wearing you down. And then how about the effort/energy needed to keep the bike upright/straight into head/cross winds? I would imagine there is more engagement of core/upper body muscles on a windy day. Is there a certain amount of energy here that one is using that dictates a lower target power?

Thanks. Can't control the weather and every race has it's challenges.

Yep. It was along the interstate and I was on my aero bars at the time so I feel lucky about that.

The mental aspect was definitely a factor. It's a challenge for sure. I'm very new to using a power meter so I don't have all the answers. I just used a Joe Friel's guidelines for "guesstimating" my target power for the HIM as well as previous training rides. Yeah I'm not sure how much energy use from engagement of core/upper body muscles would dictate lower target power but I think that really goes into RPE. Before my power meter I've always raced based on RPE so on race day I knew during the bike that they were far too spent to maintain the power at the time so I just kept trying to lower it. And eventually I just ignored it and tried to go by feel.

There definitely was more engagement from my upper body and I am sure core. I was certainly more sore in my shoulder/neck/upper back area than I normally am. I'm sure that had to do with keeping the bike steady.
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
IL2tri wrote:
.....I wondered about the mental aspect of riding that long into the wind just wearing you down. ........quote]

The only thing that kept me going was that I knew there was a turnaround coming and then I would get the benefit of the tailwind.

yep. that was definitely a relief. I'm sure everybody felt the same way at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the difference between wind and no wind was 3.5 mph (which I think I read in the OP), you are going to be on the course longer than expected. Therefore holding your target power longer. So maybe there's a legit reason to back off power slightly. Plus significant wind kills me mentally, so I can see that causing your RPE to not match what you are used to at a particular power and you deciding to back off.
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
If the difference between wind and no wind was 3.5 mph (which I think I read in the OP), you are going to be on the course longer than expected. Therefore holding your target power longer. So maybe there's a legit reason to back off power slightly. Plus significant wind kills me mentally, so I can see that causing your RPE to not match what you are used to at a particular power and you deciding to back off.

yep. Lots of factors come into play. at least some and/or most of the last 16 miles were with a tailwind. I used trainerroad this year for training and ftp tests (multiple through their training plans) and also compared those to other outdoor training rides and races so, at least from my amateur view, it seemed accurate. Regardless, I have work to do to improve on the bike. I'll be working with a triathlon coach starting in a couple weeks and going through to next season so I'm sure she will be able shed some light on things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This old guy produced an increased normalized power of 6 watts for the 2016 edition when compared to the 2015 event. However, my overall biking time was nine minutes and 1.4mph slower! Yes, I significantly slowed on the high bridge crossing due to the wind blasts. My IF was 0.83 for the 2016 edition and 0.81 for the 2015 edition. Sore hamstrings are my only complaint 48 hours afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: My MOPer PPD Ironman NC 70.3 Race report [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
This old guy produced an increased normalized power of 6 watts for the 2016 edition when compared to the 2015 event. However, my overall biking time was nine minutes and 1.4mph slower! Yes, I significantly slowed on the high bridge crossing due to the wind blasts. My IF was 0.83 for the 2016 edition and 0.81 for the 2015 edition. Sore hamstrings are my only complaint 48 hours afterwards.

Great job! You feel better than I do I believe. Actually today I'm better. Just slightly sore quads. Those wind blasts were rough.
Quote Reply