Prev Next
Re: My Full Carbon Clinchers overheating (pics) [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good one!
Quote Reply
Re: My Full Carbon Clinchers overheating (pics) [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ti T'war wrote:
I've seen that crash a couple thousand times and i still say that tire rolled off after he started to skid...

I agree...then again, a heat-weakened glue bond isn't going to be able to survive as great of a sideways loading like that either...

There was a reason that Miguel "Big Mig" Indurain preferred to run clinchers in the mountains ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My Full Carbon Clinchers overheating (pics) [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Tex wrote:
But, me personally, I'd still use a more generic carbon tubular over a more generic clincher...

That's reasonable...in a "lesser of 2 evils" sense...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ti T'war wrote:
I've seen that crash a couple thousand times and i still say that tire rolled off after he started to skid. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the majority of the peloton was on Tubulars at that time and they seemed to make it down the Mtn (Including Lance).

Absolutely...he "high sided", putting a whole cr@p load of lateral stress on the tire. The crash was not caused by tire roll, but it was exacerbated by it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the tire rolled before the skid but that it rolled during/after the skid possibly due to the glue being softened. Who knows if a clincher or a cold tubular would have held, but it still sticks in my mind when I hear someone overheated their tire and then rolled it off the rim
Quote Reply
Re: My Full Carbon Clinchers overheating (pics) [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they actually meant it that way: as in “Sacrificial Breaking Surface”…

(I'm color blind - I hope this is pink)

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply

Prev Next