Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos
Quote | Reply
1) I've read several accounts of some terrible pavement conditions on the bike. It appears that this section may be on a narrow, steep descent where the congestion of athletes is common. How bad and unsafe is it?

2) How family friendly is Muskoka? We've been to Tremblant, which will be hard to beat, but what sort of fun is available for kids ages 3 and 5?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:
1) I've read several accounts of some terrible pavement conditions on the bike. It appears that this section may be on a narrow, steep descent where the congestion of athletes is common. How bad and unsafe is it?

2) How family friendly is Muskoka? We've been to Tremblant, which will be hard to beat, but what sort of fun is available for kids ages 3 and 5?

Can't say much about kiddos as I am past that stage. Although it you stay at Deerhurst (pricey) there should be plenty to do. Pool and specific activities for kids. They are now having transition in town as opposed to out at Deerhurst. Actually should be good for kids and wife as there are touristy shops and stuff (ice cream!) in town. Bike course looks roughly similar on the map. I have done the half twice and last time I did was the full in 2015. I wouldn't call the pavement terrible but there are a few sections on downhills where there were depressions in the pavement (think partially filled potholes with asphalt in the bottom). I wouldn't bomb the downhills in the aero position. I think one hill has a curve at bottom that can be a bit tricky. There are very few long sustained ups and downs but lots of shorter punchy ones. Road condition can vary from year to year because of frost heaving and how well they keep on top of it. I am middle of the pack during the bike and have not seen any accidents. I take the downhills cautiously all the time and have not felt unsafe.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: May 3, 17 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the full in 2015, and coming from the Detroit Area, I found the roads in great shape. There are a few descents where there were some potholes, but they were marked really well. As the other poster indicated, just keep your bike on a line to avoid them.

I have 3 kids and there is not much in Huntsville. Additionally, Huntsville is not really near anything either. I left my wife and kids at home. Not just for the expense, but they would have been bored out of their minds. Perhaps Dev can chime in since he lives up that way, but I personally didn't find it very family friendly.

There may be things to do in the surrounding area (50 mile radius), but not much in Huntsville but shops, restaurants, and bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [Deacon Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Toronto, but have done the half and full. Most of the road 95% are good, but don't compare to Tremblant which is a treat. That said there are some sketchy areas Dwight seems to come to memory, and there really isn't much for kids in the area, it's a pretty tiny town.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: May 4, 17 5:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:

Dwight Beach Road is pretty terrible and there were wrecks on it last year. It comes early enough in the course that there will be significant congestion. Once you've survived that the rest of the course is quite safe.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you stay in any of the many lakeside resorts in the area, and the weather is ok, the kids won't come out of the water all day.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [markea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markea wrote:
If you stay in any of the many lakeside resorts in the area, and the weather is ok, the kids won't come out of the water all day.

Quoting for truth.

I haven't been since IM Muskoka but my 2 cents:

I stayed off the resort, and bought into resort access for wife and 2 kids. They had a bunch of stuff on the waterfront at Deerhurst and my kids were in the water all day. Literally. They were 7 and 9 at the time. There were inflatable things to climb on etc, and they loved it.

The worst stretch of road was really bad IMHO. But I don't know if they have repaired it or not. It was a downhill as I recall, but the bad section was pretty short. The 2nd lap I took it easy through there and didn't have any issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:

1) Very safe, I don't understand how people say the roads are in 'terrible condition'. Only one 'steep' downhill on the course, and if you know how to bike it could only be difficult if you have to pass people who brake down it.

2) Lots to do with the family - Plenty of beaches, hiking trails (Arrowhead/Algonquin), Parks, and events that are put on during the weekend for kids (we had a kids running race downtown the day before the race last year, and hosted a Fast & Female event)

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Huntsville is not a resort town like Tremblant ski village. It is more of a cottage town but still a fair amount of things for families to do, especially if you have water access. With the change in the start away from Deerhurst resort it will hopefully be easier to get around and you avoid
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there everyone,

Sorry for the delay in posting to this forum thread. There is a lot for families to do at the 70.3, especially on the July 8th and 9th weekend.

On the 8th alone, the morning starts off with our Sunrise Swim for Hospice, which is a charity swim right on the swim course for the 70.3. The best thing is that you get to swim out at the same time as the swim will be starting the next day, see the first turn, look for sighting landmarks, see what the sunrise will look like ... oh ya, then swim back for coffee on our coffee dock and fresh baked goodies for breakfast.

Following that, we have our annual Rotary Club Dockfest going on in the downtown core, which includes a parade, bathtub races, live music, stuff for the kids to do in our downtown park (which has a big playground in it). Then in the afternoon, there is going to be an IronKids run in the downtown core. If that isn't enough to tire the kids out, then you have some energetic kids!

For the race day, the swim is has great vantage points for everyone as the last 750m of the swim goes down the Muskoka River, so you can watch the athletes the whole way. On the bike, admittedly, it is hard to watch any triathlon on the bike, but you could jump in the car and drive out to Dwight where there is a great beach to watch the bike from and have a place for the kids to play. Or head down to Baysville, where you can watch the cyclists for the last part of the ride and enjoy some liquid sunshine at the Lake of Bays Brewing Company (for big kids).

With the run course, bring the street chalk and signs out to decorate up the downtown streets... Just behind Main Street where the run course goes, there is a big park in River Mill Park. If you get really bored and don't want to watch any more of the race, you can hit the movie theatre, but it might not go over well with the person you are watching ("Hey, where is my family?...Watching Finding Dory?"). Plus, we have 5 ice cream shops, a candy store, and a number of great restaurants within the downtown core, so no shortage of food options for the family.

We have just redesigned our website, which has a whole section for exactly what you are looking for called "VISITORS". Our triathlon club put together this section through the eyes of "If I was visiting a different town for a race with my family, what would I want to know...". So, head on over and take a peek at http://www.trimuskoka.com. Let us know your thoughts.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. The links are on the top right corner of our website.

See you in a couple of weeks!

Jon Morton
President, Triathlon Muskoka (TriMuskoka)
http://www.trimuskoka.com
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [trimuskoka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just signed up for the 2017 version... I came up last year, not knowing what to expect and I got my ass handed to me on the bike! I immediately decided that I was going to come back to redeem myself! Then the course changed, and lodging is quite difficult (still trying to figure this out), but the area is absolutely beautiful so I decided to come back...

I found the town to be quite nice, there is a few good places to eat and drink, a couple nice coffee cafes. A really cool outfitter store! I don't have kids but remember thinking that a family with kids would really enjoy the area!

Rich, I watched the swim course video, thanks for putting that out! There was something mentioned about strategy in the river! How do I get this information?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there,
Well the key is to know where the current is flowing the fastest. Since the river is S shaped, the current tends to be faster on the outside part of the curves of each of the bends. So heading into the mouth of the river, stick to the left and follow the short stone wall along the bank (smile as that is a good spot for spectators to be watching!). There is a downed tree (can't move that due to fisheries regulations, but there is usually a kayaker there) that you will come across, but then the stone wall will end and there is a cedar tree that is leaning a bit over the water.

At the cedar tree, cut across the river (yes you will go into the main part of the stream) and then head towards the docks on the other side of the shore (your right hand side...). You will know you are in the right spot when you come across a sandbar and some weeds probably.... Sand deposits and weeds grow in areas of low current.... Swim along here to a depth that allows your hand to just stay above the sandy bottom. Follow this curve along until you get to a 9kph speed sign at which point you will see the last turn buoy. Swim over to the swim exit and get out!

Swim as far up as you can before standing up...

There will be people there helping you up the stairs and also wetsuit strippers! My wife is leading this area...

Jon Morton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done the 70.3 three times, Spin the Lakes twice and the former long course race which started at the Summit Centre.
The good news about this year is that you don't need to do the out and back on North Portage Road. The other news is that Brittania Rd which you will take in the first 10k might be harder. I thought it was anyway. I suggest you have a look before the race.
Dwight Beach Rd still has a stretch of poor pavement as of two weeks ago. For those at the latter part of the 70.3 pack last year, ( ie. old women like me) it was a minefield of launched water bottles. I suggest you sit up and check your speed. There will be many miles of
excellent roads ahead to make the time up.
It is a spectacularly beautiful course. Very difficult. Very very well run.
I hope you have an awesome day.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I went through after and there must've been 15 bottles all over the area. Luckily I was aware of this area from previous training rides. They should leave a volunteer there as the bottles really are like mines. Amazing race, very well run, looking forward to the new course.

niagirl wrote:
I have done the 70.3 three times, Spin the Lakes twice and the former long course race which started at the Summit Centre.
The good news about this year is that you don't need to do the out and back on North Portage Road. The other news is that Brittania Rd which you will take in the first 10k might be harder. I thought it was anyway. I suggest you have a look before the race.
Dwight Beach Rd still has a stretch of poor pavement as of two weeks ago. For those at the latter part of the 70.3 pack last year, ( ie. old women like me) it was a minefield of launched water bottles. I suggest you sit up and check your speed. There will be many miles of
excellent roads ahead to make the time up.
It is a spectacularly beautiful course. Very difficult. Very very well run.
I hope you have an awesome day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad the bike course is still 94 KM because I really look forward to those last 4 km :). Great race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:

I've done Muskoka 70.3 4 times and the full IM in 2015 too. I just took a bunch of my friends to pre-ride the new course yesterday. Like every year, Dwight Beach Road is still the worst section out of the whole bike course. Every other section has been repaved over the years except the Dwight Beach Road. So, just be careful once you climbed up the South Portage Road (last section of that climb has no shades) and make a right into the Dwight Beach Road (22KM from the start at Canada Summit Centre). Don't get too excited because it's a downhill! It's NARROW, WINDING, and BROKEN!!! This year it has even more broken parts and pot holes than ever! Good thing is it's only the first KM of it that's scary. Once you pass that first kilometer, you can get back into your aero position and speed to the Dwight Beach and enjoy the view and have a nice race picture taken there. Oh, on race day, they usually would try to patch up the pot holes a bit and then use orange paint to circle out the broken parts that can't be fixed to warm you a bit. So, if you don't go too too fast, you'd be okay to navigate through it. Oh, also watch out the bottles lying around popped off other guys' bottle cages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, bummed to hear the course was changed and the host sight swapped out as well. Can you provide any details as to why? Deer Hurst seemed like an ideal venue! I'm guessing...but am hoping the answer isn't "low registration numbers on a really hard course, so we made it easier". To my knowledge Muskoka was one of the longest standing 1/2's in the country.

Per the numbers (bike/run elevation gain), it looks like Syracuse 70.3 just surpassed Muskoka for those of us looking to race on the most difficult courses. (save for St. George of course!)

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Syracuse's degree of difficulty has also increased because of deflategate...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know much about Syracuse but I find the difficulty of Muskoka is a lot of those hills are short punchy uphills same for downhills. I think having downtown as the race site could be great.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the bike course is identical in that you circle Lake of Bays. IMO the new bike route isn't any easier, might be harder in the first 15 k. So if you are hoping for degree of difficulty on the bike, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niagirl wrote:
Most of the bike course is identical in that you circle Lake of Bays. IMO the new bike route isn't any easier, might be harder in the first 15 k. So if you are hoping for degree of difficulty on the bike, I don't think you will be disappointed.

i compared the last year's bike profile with this year and there is approx 400 meters less climbing. don't quite understand where the losses occur
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I saw that too. Rich Trenholm know his course best and no doubt can answer. My impression of difficulty was just that. The numbers might be otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure but taking out the 4k in and out from Deerhurst on the old course vs the new course route on Brunel probably accounts for most if it. Rest assured it will still be a tough course, the old Muskoka LC used some of the same roads. BTW, if you are racing or in the area, check out the Hospice Swim on July 8, same start time/location as the race. A non-competitive swim, ends up at a coffee dock which is kind of cool plus snacks back on shore, all for a $30 donation. Trimuskoka.com for details, I am not affiliated, just a fan of the swim the day before the race.
Last edited by: runmini: Jun 23, 17 18:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is quite a reduction in climbing primarily given the fact that you don't have those nasty hills to do again on the way back from the turn at South Portage onto North Portage.

Britain Road, albeit a pretty hilly stretch that our tri club uses for hill training (you know it is challenging when Muskoka residents go there for hill training), has a couple of good climbs, but you only do twice. The spot at Brunel/South Portage where you would have gone down to do the stretch back to Deerhurst is now pretty much a net downhill with a few small roller climbs.

This will rest up the legs so the run should be faster...

Jon Morton
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka - Roads & Kiddos [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Get out of aero, follow the line of clear pavement, don't pass, and have a piece of tape on your water bottle on the back so it won't get ejected. Sorry guys, we try every year to get this repaired, but the Lake of Bays politicians don't see it as a priority for some reason...

tie3 wrote:
Petrarch wrote:

I've done Muskoka 70.3 4 times and the full IM in 2015 too. I just took a bunch of my friends to pre-ride the new course yesterday. Like every year, Dwight Beach Road is still the worst section out of the whole bike course. Every other section has been repaved over the years except the Dwight Beach Road. So, just be careful once you climbed up the South Portage Road (last section of that climb has no shades) and make a right into the Dwight Beach Road (22KM from the start at Canada Summit Centre). Don't get too excited because it's a downhill! It's NARROW, WINDING, and BROKEN!!! This year it has even more broken parts and pot holes than ever! Good thing is it's only the first KM of it that's scary. Once you pass that first kilometer, you can get back into your aero position and speed to the Dwight Beach and enjoy the view and have a nice race picture taken there. Oh, on race day, they usually would try to patch up the pot holes a bit and then use orange paint to circle out the broken parts that can't be fixed to warm you a bit. So, if you don't go too too fast, you'd be okay to navigate through it. Oh, also watch out the bottles lying around popped off other guys' bottle cages.

Jon Morton
Quote Reply

Prev Next