Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices?
Quote | Reply
Over the past few years I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 210 to record all my running AND cycling data; however, the strap just broke. The only issue I've had is the battery life. Since I'm in the market for something new, should I get something along the lines of a forerunner 210 for running and an edge 500 for cycling? Or should I look into a multisport watch such as the 910xt or fenix2?
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices? [bornaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy an Edge 500 (one gen back) and a very cool Forerunner 220 (latest gen but a step down from the 620) for about the price of the multi-sport Garmin 910XT. The Forerunner 220 is definitely a smaller footprint. The pair won't capture your swim data but it isn't clear if that is an issue for you.

I prefer using a dedicated running watch and only bring out my 910 for races, tri-bike rides, and open water swims.

YMMV

Jed

"If you want to ride by the Force, you had better make sure that you are a real Jedi." - FastYellow (6/13/2011)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:
... should I get something along the lines of a forerunner 210 for running and an edge 500 for cycling? Or should I look into a multisport watch such as the 910xt or fenix2?

So I used to feel very strongly that a watch (I'm using the 310XT) was all I needed. Then I graduated to training with power and during intervals it become difficult to stare at a watch (yes I do wrap it on the bars). Although, like you, I did have a band break while wrapping it on the bars. I like to keep it tight so the watch doesn't spin.

I have contemplated going to the Garmin 500/510 for cycling now. But I wouldn't use it during a race, only for training.

That being said, I would like to have the 910XT over the 310 (and the 210 for that matter) because of the added swimming functionality. There's also some additional power fields that can be utilized with the 910.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was torn on this decision a couple of months ago too. I ended up getting a Garmin Edge 800 for the bike and and 620 for running. I really like having a dedicated bike computer and figured the 620 will be enough watch (with all it's features) to last me quite a few years. Since I added a power meter, it's been really nice to have 10 fields running on one screen and still be able to see them without much strain. The lack of swimming metrics are a non-issue to me. I swim slow and I know it, all I really need is a stopwatch for that which the 620 on my wrist provides.

If you want your race and training metrics all in one device, get a multisport. But for me, I'm glad I have a watch that's a watch I can wear anytime (not huge) and don't have to rig it up to the bike to get my metrics. If I had a multisport watch, I would probably still end up buying a dedicated bike computer anyway.

To each his own, but that's the way I see it. However, I did end up spending more than I would have if I'd just bought a mulisport watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:
Over the past few years I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 210 to record all my running AND cycling data; however, the strap just broke. The only issue I've had is the battery life. Since I'm in the market for something new, should I get something along the lines of a forerunner 210 for running and an edge 500 for cycling? Or should I look into a multisport watch such as the 910xt or fenix2?

Unless the size is really a factor for you, go for the 310 over the 210. It has a much better battery and with a bigger screen it works well on the bike...for $20 more. Later on, you can decide whether to add in 500/510.

I have a 910/500 combo now, and love the setup. For a race, I'd probably use both.
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices? [stinkerpeter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have small wrists, so I'd prefer not to use a 310xt. You say you would get a 500 and not use it for races? Is that because you're afraid it might get stolen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you that having the 910xt is nice to have to be able to use for all sports. It's especially nice to have all your race information in one place (in fact that is probably the biggest plus to the 910xt). That said, I've also got the 620 that I use while running as it gives some running metrics that the 910 doesn't have. I've also got a 510 that hasn't gotten much use just because I'm more comfortable, coming from a run background, with having that information on my wrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:
...You say you would get a 500 and not use it for races? Is that because you're afraid it might get stolen?

When I race, I leave my 310xt strapped to my bars. I hit start once I leave transition. Early in the ride I'll transfer it to my wrist and leave it there for the remainder of the day. I'm not too worried about someone running off with it before the race.

Doing intervals I'm trying to stay within 20W (give or take) and that requires a lot of focus for me. So, I need something that I can practically stare at. Whereas racing I'm going to be checking the watch, but proportionally less than during training. That and I don't want to fuss with multiple devices for the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bought 910 from the start after a few months I bought the 510 for training. Its really different when you have a big screen on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breathing some life back in to this topic since I am in this exact same situation. I dropped my 310 the other day and the screen spider-web'd. I still use it occasionally, but now I'm forced with the "920 or Edge500+Forerunner220" debate. I could also get another 310, but size and additional metrics on the 920 have me looking that direction.

For those racing with multiple devices, which do you use and how? The 500 would have ample battery life for the biking portion of a 140.6, but the 220 only has 10 hours of life, so it's not like I could turn it on prior to the swim and utilize it the entire race (in order to track my total race time).

Any other alternatives? 920 + wahoo bike case with my iPhone (for larger screen while riding)? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices? [TriZag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using a 910xt since it came out and have really liked the swimming functions as well. I'm very happy overall, if you want to got that route, wait for the 920xt to get to the stores as the 910 should be discounted soon.
Last edited by: coolny29: Nov 5, 14 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure with yours but.......when I was using the 305 for IM I used speed cadence sensor for the bike and turned on gps for the run.......increased battery life for well past time needed
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Does the 305 offer power metrics as well? With what I have seen from the 910/920/500, the power metrics on those is unparalleled to other devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I.do.not think.you want the 305. Just,since it had that capability thought the others would to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit fan of 1 device to rule them all.
Still got my 305, my next one will be the 920XT. I waited because 910XT GPS signal is way too slow to start-up, like the 305.
Best bang for the buck for me. Depends what your use-case is, but for triathlon it's perfect, you can keep that device forever it's not changing so fast like Apple stuff ;)

Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices? [trijedi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trijedi wrote:
You can buy an Edge 500 (one gen back) and a very cool Forerunner 220 (latest gen but a step down from the 620) for about the price of the multi-sport Garmin 910XT. The Forerunner 220 is definitely a smaller footprint. The pair won't capture your swim data but it isn't clear if that is an issue for you.

I prefer using a dedicated running watch and only bring out my 910 for races, tri-bike rides, and open water swims.

YMMV

I do the 500 / 220 combo. I have thin wrists and the 910 just feels like I'm wearing a laptop. I love the 220, it's become my every day watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices? [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have had the 910 for 3 years. I have had no problem aquiring a signal........unless you think waiting 20 seconds is a problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20sec isn't a problem is its always 20sec.
With the 305, it can take 20sec or 5minutes, I like to optimize my training time and I don't want to pay for a new device if this problem isn't fixed.
I always thought they haven't fixed the gps acquiring delay with the 910XT, I may be wrong though!

Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriZag wrote:

For those racing with multiple devices, which do you use and how? The 500 would have ample battery life for the biking portion of a 140.6, but the 220 only has 10 hours of life, so it's not like I could turn it on prior to the swim and utilize it the entire race (in order to track my total race time).

I have the 620/510 combo. I turn the 620 on before the swim and track the swim time. You don't even need to wear a watch if the race have a clock at the swim exit. That's all I really want to know for the swim. GPS and all other metrics are useless for me.

Once I am out of the water, I turn it off and start the bike. the 510 is on now and right in front of me with all the metrics I need for the bike. Once I am off the bike, I turn back the 620 on and off to run the marathon. I will find the official overall time once I am done.

I still have my 310 and haven't used it once this year. This method seem to work. The reason I went with this combo is I noticed myself hating to use my 310 because of it ugly color and huge size. the 910 is uglier. Never used it outside of racing tri. So decided to just go with what I do in training and use a bike computer for the bike, and running watch for the run.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One watch to rule them all, bro. I'm going to continue to use my 310xt until it croaks, then upgrade to the 910/920.

I don't really need 10 screens...it'd be a distraction to me.

for the bike, i use 3 and 30 second power, distance, and hr.

For the run, i set time, distance, pace, HR.

Stays on my wrist for training or racing.

Simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 310XT with the quick release as a bike computer and running watch. It provides all the features I could ever want. It is pretty large, but I quickly got used to it and its a non-issue (for me)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:

For what its worth I use both a 910xt for run and swim, and a 500 for the bike. I don't like having to strap the watch to the handlebars, and I like having 8 available data fields in view. The 910xt only shows 4.

During a race I have both devices running, with the 910xt in "multisport mode". After the race, I throw away the bike data file the 910 generated, but keep all the others, and use the file from the 500 for my bike. (I only do this because I never set up the bike profile on the 910 so it doesn't get power data, but the 500 does).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a tri-fector in a Garmin Swim+220+510 to cover all my bases. As others mentioned here I use the 220 to time my swims in open water. I don't train without a group in open water so I just get the distance from another athlete with a 910 or Ambit etc. In a race I get the results via the timing mat and it's a set distance. While I'd like to see how far I deviate from the course on the swim most of the time the GPS data for swimming isn't highly accurate due to the signal loss again and again anyways.

With all that being said I just added a 920XT to my amazon shopping cart and clicked checkout. I think the additional features (VO2Max, Running Dynamics, potentially cycling dynamics in the future) are worth consolidating into a single device. That being said there is nothing wrong with the 2-3 device strategy. It helped me a few times when my 220 was low on battery and I could just grab the 510 and hit the road and get in a session regardless of my moronic mistake to not charge my 220.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this idea a lot, but I'm not sure I could justify the entire expense. Definitely something to think about. Thank you.

Much appreciated on all responses.
Quote Reply
Re: Multisport Watch or Miltiple Devices? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those that choose to stick to the 3 device strategy, do you know if a new Garmin Swim will be released any time soon?
Quote Reply

Prev Next