Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Multi serve alternative to Perpetuem
Quote | Reply
Can anyone please let me know of some alternatives to Perpetuem, that provide a carb/energy source and can be made up into a multi serve bottle? Most alternatives I’ve found seem to be designed to be mixed at a certain concentration, where as Perpetuem specifically notes the amount of recommended scoops dependent on the length of the activity. Can I just make some of the alternatives stronger than recommended or will that make them difficult to digest?
Quote Reply
Re: Multi serve alternative to Perpetuem [manamana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its mostly a matter of being able to mix them and then palletability. I have used perpetuem in the past but now use NOW maltodextrin and you get a lot in a bottle but you need to use hot water to mix it. Perpetuem also has other nutrients in it but the main calorie source is maltodextrin which has hardly any flavor. Other drink mixes get tasting weird at other concentrations.

Why do you want an alternative?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried making a paste from Perpetuem? I usually get about 3 1/2 scoops per flask and it tastes pretty good (cafe latte) and of course you can make it stronger or weaker as desired. Sometimes I'll top off the flask if needed with a chocolate or espresso gel and that makes it even tastier. Of course you chase it with water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use Perp....not anymore. I've had great success with Carbo Pro. I've mixed it up to a concentration of 750 calories per bottle. It does take some hot water to get it all to dissolve, but it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi serve alternative to Perpetuem [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
Its mostly a matter of being able to mix them and then palletability. I have used perpetuem in the past but now use NOW maltodextrin and you get a lot in a bottle but you need to use hot water to mix it. Perpetuem also has other nutrients in it but the main calorie source is maltodextrin which has hardly any flavor. Other drink mixes get tasting weird at other concentrations.

Why do you want an alternative?

I’ve used Perpetuem for a while now, but I’ve never really felt that it’s agreed with me and I’m not a massive fan of the taste either, so I thought I’d experiment with some other options. I was thinking about gels but ideally I like a one bottle option if possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switched to Scratch Nutrition. They have fruity taste so I never had a problem with it. Carbs and calories wise, it is similar maybe even better since I found myself absorbing the carbs better.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi serve alternative to Perpetuem [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. Is it the Sport Hydration Drink Mix that you use? I see the recommended servings are 1 1/2 scoops a bottle, but do you put more than this in and still find it manageable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very sensitive GI system and have had good luck with Carbo Pro. I don't love the flavor in high concentrations, so will sometimes mix in a small amount of Skratch or SIS for taste, and that's worked well for me even when mixing the bottles the night before a long ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used CarboRocket for IMAZ this year. I ordered a 33 oz bottle from Amazon to put four hours worth of nutrition in the bottle. Each serving required 3 scoops, for a total of 12 scoops of CarboRocket's Half Evil in the bottle. So I had 333 calories per hour. I also added their RocketLytes to the bottle but emptied out the contents of the capsule into the bottle. As I rolled through the aid station and was getting low on fluid, I would grab a water bottle and empty it into my BTA. Then I would reach around and grab my concentrate bottle and squeeze about a quarter of the contents into my BTA. This approach worked very well as I did not have to fumble with gels or any solid foods. I was also able to skip special needs as I had all my nutrition on my bike.
Quote Reply