Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by dindu
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [dindu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't know if you can. max pressure in the gas station pumps may not be high enough.

Why do you want to do this on those tyres?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [dindu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe would not want to count on it though, IMHO you should carry a hand pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no pump? No spare tubular either?

I would test at a few different gas stations around town to make sure it will work. You have two potential problems, other than just valve adapter, to deal with. One is that some gas station compressors can be very high pressure and volume. So, you can quickly blow a bike tire. (My dad this this once.) The other is that some gas stations have very low pressures set at their regulators, so it could tap out at 60 PSI.

You may want to trial some inflations at a few gas stations to ensure that you can: 1) do it without blowing a tire (just short bursts of air), and 2) that you can get sufficient pressure. If you are successful a few times near home, then you would probably be fine on the road during the ride. But, if you have a high local fail rate, then assume it would be worse on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you carry a few Co2 cartridges to top off in the morning? Better question though is 200psi? That seems really high for road tires. I ride a 27mm zipp tangente tubular at 125-130.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Co2 will bleed through the latex tube rather quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Co2 will bleed through the latex tube rather quickly.

Agreed, but unless he wants to carry a hand pump he doesn't have much for options.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd bring a pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 3-4 day unsupported ride over 4-500 miles with latex tubes and no pump seems like a pretty risky venture. Highly recommend taking spare tubes and pump on this trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
after full 200psi pump-up

Pics or it didn't happen.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He should be bringing a spare tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing that could make this more ridiculous is if OP is also riding a disc. 200psi? Tubulars + unsupported? I totally thought we were getting catfished for a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dindu wrote:
no pump with me

while you're at it, why are you using two wheels. Just use a unicycle. It would be really dumb to just take a pump - think about how much it will weigh you down... so many other downsides to taking one along:

1. space utilization
2. your arms might cramp while using a pump, leaving you destitute on the side of the road at the mercy of rabid coyotes
3. if you fall, the pump may fly out of your jersey pocket, break in mid air and them impale your eyeball.
4. so many other reasons, but these 3 are a good start

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

just do it in one day.
Last edited by: buzz: May 1, 17 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you forgot the pink text.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I don't go on a 10 minute ride without my patch kit, let alone this. I am surprised they even had to ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the OP:

dindu wrote:

planning a 3-4 day unsupported bike ride (about 400-500mi) on my P5 and latex tubular tires, that start losing air next day after full 200psi pump-up. no pump with me, but plenty of gas stations

question: how can I use car air pump at gas station to pump up my tires using my valve adapter piece?
Last edited by: buzz: May 1, 17 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not to mention that latex leaks air (even without CO2). 120psi the night before may become 80 the next morning. Pretty soon one would have it decay to 20 psi after 3-4 days...
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-stage unsupported bike trip on latex tubulars, no pump [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't lose pressure that fast.
Quote Reply