Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Utica, NY Area: Training/ Racing Ideas
Quote | Reply
I'm moving to central NY and could use some good training and racing in the area. I'll be working at Hamilton College and living in the town of Hamilton.

Would love to know about good places, particularly for MTB'ing or trail running, as well as any good options for open water swimming.

I grew up in Capital District, and I've spent alot of time in the ADK's (High Peaks and Lake George Area), and went to school at Cortland State, so have some familiarity, but would also like to know about options for hiking/ mtb/ open water swimming in the Southern/ Western Adirondacks.

Race suggestions (tri's and cycling in particular) would be appreciated.
Thanks!

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Utica, NY Area: Training/ Racing Ideas [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out http://atcendurance.com/. Delta Lake is a great race, but it was last weekend. Cazenovia is next month. I did Caz a long time ago and it was fun. My son and I may race it again this year. Lots of good races to the west of you in the finger lakes. Fly-by-Night duathlon is awesome in May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Boilermaker is of course one of the best races right there in Utica. Not a tri of course, but still a heck of a lot of fun with free beer at the finish line. This year was the first year I've missed it in the last four years simply because I chose to do the Musselman half-ironman tri in Geneva, N.Y. on the same day. The Cayuga Lake Triathlon is a popular one in my area (http://www.ithacatriathlonclub.org/cltrace/). About an hour and a half drive from Utica, it is a great Oly. distance race. Syracuse half-ironman is just down the road from Utica.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a couple good mtb loops right at Hamilton College, one behind the soccer/field hockey fields and the other behind the student housing. We also have a ton of trails at the New Hartford town park on Rt 12 about 7 minutes from the college.

This may sound stupid but are you sure you are going to be living in Hamilton because that is about 30 minutes south of Hamilton College (which is located in Clinton NY). Colgate College located in Hamilton NY (confusing, I know) also has mtb trails right on campus if in fact that is where you are going to be living.

Oodles of road riding with a few clubs, ours is MBVC (http://www.mvbc.us), CNYC/Cooperstown, Onondaga Cycling.

As far as the Adirondacks...Old Forge is about an hour from me here in Whitesboro, there is hiking, some mtb, kayaking. The same guy that puts on the Delta Lake Tri does the Old Forge Tri.

There is more, a lot more, I think you are really going to like it here...welcome

rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi John,

This is Mike from ATC Endurance. I love the Utica area as a multipart athlete! Lots of great roads, whether rural or state highways to train. Lots of great local road races (and I do run local triathlon series...next event is August 16 in Old Forge). One area that may be difficult is swimming. If you are working for the college, that makes getting to a pool easy, and if you are living in Hamilton, Colgate is very accessible. I also run a morning swim program at New Hartford HS if you are looking for lap lanes.

Welcome and enjoy your time here!

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Utica, NY Area: Training/ Racing Ideas [ATCEndurance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike, and all, for the info. I think I'll be up at the Old Forge Tri, and I'd like to get involved in some of the MVBC events when I can. I'll be working at Hamilton College, and living in Hamilton (yes, I know, 20mi south!) so hopefully be able to make a couple of the club rides before the summer is out.

I see that Kirkwood had a 'cross race last fall. Any idea if that'll be happening again this year? I don't do many 'cross events, but would hate to miss out on one right in town.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of Musselman in Geneva.

Also, if you're looking for a good resource, Cayuga Medical Center has a sports performance center in Ithaca: http://www.cayugamed.org/SMhome.cfm

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your not opposed to a little driving, the Syracuse course is a great course, but there are plenty of places to train, I used to work for Oneida County and lived there for a couple years and also lived in Syracuse for a couple years. When I was living in Syracuse it was nice to be like 5 miles from the transition area, so pretty much anytime I trained I rode the 70.3 course to get my time down on that course, plenty of climbing, flats and downhills.
Quote Reply