Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to SF - what do I need to know.
Quote | Reply
So we will be moving to SF this summer. Looking to live in the Richmond or Lone Mountain area, considered renting in the Presidio. I want to be close, walking or riding distance, to where I work, which is by the University of San Francisco.

What do I need to know about where to run, bike, swim. Part of the reason for living in the Richmond is access to the parks, Golden Gate or Presidio. Weekend rides I presume will be across the bridge to Marin. There is a pool at USF I see, and of course I am intrigued with swimming down at the Aquatic Park. I live in Hawaii now, so that will certainly be a change.

How is training going to be in the winter months...will I be on the trainer more?
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! I am a bay area resident. If you are not a member of a triathlon team, you should consider applying to EMJ. We are a great group of guys, who also happen to be fast triathletes. Check us out here:https://docs.google.com/...p;usp=mail_form_link

For the winter months, a pair of toe covers, a jacket and lightweight gloves will probably be enough. Temps rarely get below 40 during the day. It sometimes rains in the winter, but it hasn't in a while....

Lots of riders go up into the north bay from SF- plenty of open roads, etc. You will find a vibrant triathlon/cycling community in the city.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You basically have it.

Run: GG Park, Presidio, which link together. You can also do Presidio to Marina to Embarcadero but not preferred given the amount of foot traffic
Bike: across GG Bridge to Marin, endless variety there. It is difficult to get down the Peninsula to all the good riding without stowing the bike in the car and driving about an hour each way. You can also ride across the Bay, but again, traffic, and no easy way to take bike on public transit.
Swim: Aquatic Park for OWS. Many pools around town too.

Weather: never need to use the trainer if you don't want to. To be frank, there are a lot of weenies here. I NEVER wear anything other than t-shirt and shorts for running, and never wear anything other than cycling shorts and jersey for cycling. 365 days per year. Never gets below 50 really.
Last edited by: solitude: Oct 24, 14 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to know that your cost of living just went up a lot.
Seriously though good luck and I hope the move serves you well.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
Hey! I am a bay area resident. If you are not a member of a triathlon team, you should consider applying to EMJ. We are a great group of guys, who also happen to be fast triathletes. Check us out here:https://docs.google.com/...p;usp=mail_form_link

For the winter months, a pair of toe covers, a jacket and lightweight gloves will probably be enough. Temps rarely get below 40 during the day. It sometimes rains in the winter, but it hasn't in a while....

Lots of riders go up into the north bay from SF- plenty of open roads, etc. You will find a vibrant triathlon/cycling community in the city.

as someone coming from similar weather to Hawaii (though my relatives from Kona tell me it is hotter (is that an English word?) here) i'm in jeans and a sweatshirt at 80F. I don't know if I'd survive 40F.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring a lot of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved from Boston this past summer and live in the Marina. The pools are pretty hit and miss, but UCSF has a nice pool. Some things to know:

1. Your discretionary budget to spend on bike stuff will shrink ... but if you have anything left, go to Roaring Mouse Cycles
2. You can sell your trainer
3. Crossing GGB sucks in the summer, too many tourists
4. Once you cross the GGB there is some amazing riding
5. Groups rides every Saturday and Sunday from the GGB
6. Hope you like climbing
7. Flat rides are on Hwy 1 or Paradise loops in Tiburon
8. NEVER run a red light, impede a pedestrian in a crosswalk, or use the turn lane to pass a car in Sausalito (you WILL get a ticket)
9. Everyone seems to ride a Specialized
10. Every douche seems to ride in Rapha pink stuff
11. Your ride doesn't count unless it was on Strava (... and it wasn't good unless you got at least 10 Kudos)
12. Tail lights are your best friends on a foggy day ... if you're in Richmond, this is basically every day

Good luck finding a place!

@GrizzlyBaird | Strava | Website
My Supporters: QT2 Systems | The Olympic Club | First Endurance | Rudy Project | BlueSeventy | NormaTec
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Bring a lot of money.

x1

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x-alot of 1s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfnrun wrote:
So we will be moving to SF this summer.

From Hawaii?

Bad idea.... if you don;t get significant $$$$/month or significant educational benefits in return for pain and suffering....
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [GrizzlyBaird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice. For the most part at least. Informative for even us bay area residents.

Oh yeah...the thing about Sausalito is true.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the money. Bay Area cleaned out my bank account
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team EMJ (as recommended by an above poster) is kind of the uber go fast team amateur men's team in the bay area, but if you're not quite at that level (as would be the case with me) a couple other options are the Golden Gate Triathlon Club and the SF Tri Club. I'm a member of the first one - it's a little bigger - and can definitely recommend it. I just did the TAG to Santa Cruz training program (basically for newer athletes getting ready for the Santa Cruz Olympic Triathlon) and it was a blast. In the spring GGTC will have a TAG to Wildflower for the wildflower olympic. There's also the HIT program for 70.3 distance, as well as one for the full iron distance. The specific training programs are an additional "uptick," but if you just want to go to the "normal" member-led weekly workouts and such it's something like $80 a year. Not too shabby. Check out http://www.ggtc.org/ if interested.

As for your specific questions, weather's just fine over the winter so you can get out biking and running as desired. The water will be chillier, so you may be less inclined to swim in AP, but it's still an option. I'd recommend finding a pool or joining a master's swim team to really get in some good pool time. There are a bunch of options around, but USF with its Olympic sized pool is pretty nice if you can make the hours. Run wherever, and as you already know, if you're not biking on the trainer you'll probably want to go up to the North Bay. Basically, I'd recommend not running through the Tenderloin and being extra cautious when riding your bike near muni tracks (just had a friend break her shoulder as a result of going down due to getting her tires caught in the groove) but beyond that and being normally cautious/aggressive with cars and busy streets, things are pretty decent around here.
Last edited by: jwear: Oct 25, 14 3:39
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

He's moving from Hawaii. SF is cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

Maybe for rent and food. But once you factor in taxes, travel times, and all the other things that I'm forgetting right now, I think it went up. But I don't know too well. I stay in FL just because I have sun, open roads, and no income taxes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pool at USF is decent and they have a little workout room adjacent.

For quick rides, you can easily form a few loops around the Presidio and not be bombarded by traffic if you choose the right roads.

Lastly on a different note, since you are near USF, I'd recommend you check out Brian's market right on California a few blocks west of divisidero. Best fish counter in the city imho.

Enjoy it

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you need to know that you are one lucky SOB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

SF is now more than NYC for rent, prices have gone crazy here. A modest 1BR in SoMa is $2500+

Madness: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/...-on-market-for-1-8m/

To the OP, UCSF parking is a huge issue. If you aren't guaranteed a parking spot, look at biking to work or MUNI. My wife worked there and had to park 15min. away....and move her car at lunch (4hr. parking)!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. SF housing is approaching tulip-mania proportions. No idea how anyone can live there. Suppose they all work for Apple or google and they are all making $200K.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now, straight out of college, Google will pay a software engineer $90k base and $50k to sign....plus stock RSUs. Not bad for a 22y.o. Facebook pays more.

It's crazy, the apartment complex across from Twitter rent 1BR for $4k/month.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
second all the above
very expensive. 2br go for 3500-4000 easy.
Make sure you have parking as parking in the City is impossible to come across.
live somewhere with easy access to the GGB since you'll be doing the bulk of your riding in Marin.
There is no flat area here to train. Paradise loop is the closest being flat, but is really rolling with lots of turns. Hwy 1 is pancake flat...but getting to and from Hwy1 will include over 1000m in climbing.
That being said, the riding in Marin is incredible, and GG park is a great spot to run. They're fixing the 400m track at Kezar and should be ready early next year.
People here overdress. The best was the guy I saw today wearing bib tights over his long sleeve top.

doug
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to SF - what do I need to know. [dougo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate all the help. Move comes with a job, and housing. Looking at buying in the Richmond, Lone Mountain, or Anza Vista. Does the Richmond get that much more fog than, say, Lone Mountain? Seems like you get more house for your $ in the Richmond, and I would like access to GG Park and the Presidio for training. How is Golden Gate Park for biking and running? Is it safe for early morning runs, or to be out after dark? How about bike loops in the Presidio, or do you need to head across the bridge. Thinking about mid week runs/rides?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richmond will be somewhat foggier, not a ton. Must factor in your commute though. There is no lightrail on the Richmond side of the park so it can take a long time via crowded buses to get to USF from outer Richmond. Parking is tough. Also not many restaurants, shops, etc. in outer Richmond.

GG Park for running early AM is fine. I run there 5am most days and there are always a few other people out. Gets quite busy at least on the east side by 6:30am. Stick to the roadway, wear headlamp. There are enough bums who sleep in the park that I avoid trails until sunrise. GG Park for biking is good for intervals (polo fields) but otherwise gets old. You can head down Great Highway but it is difficult to get down to the Peninsula without using Skyline which I think has too much traffic. However, between Presidio and GG Park biking you can get in a decent 30 mile mid-week ride. A lot of people for that prefer just going across the bridge and doing the headlands; bike traffic is light on weekdays early am.

agree with others re: cost of living. IMO, SF is an awesome place to live but wayyyy overpriced for what you get. Hoping to move soon.
Last edited by: solitude: Oct 26, 14 0:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of Lone Mountain/USF as the Eastern Richmond district because they are really close. SF is 7x7 mi and, in actuality, a pretty small city. And just figure that the closer you are to the Pacific the foggier and cooler it will be year -round.

Random suggestions:

Matt Dixon coaches at the SFJCC (EMJ people swim here , too) and leads classes at Shift-SF. Lotsa' purplepatch connections, great training, great training partners.

USF has the best pool in SF and a renowned Masters program.

Running in GGP and the Presidio are fab . Both are very close to your intended housing site(s) and both are safe for early a.m.'s and p.m.'s as there are so many runners and cyclists about . There is a great track at Kezar (the Eastern edge of GGP).

As a native, I can confirm others' suggestions 1) Parking sucks. The City is becoming more bicycle friendly in terms of infrastructure but the public (which includes drivers AND cyclists) still don't seem to understand stop signs and lights. So, be careful.

2) $$$$$$$$$

Welcome !
Quote Reply