Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips?
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I posted a few weeks ago that work may be calling me to Vegas... yeah that didn't happen. I'm taking a job in Charleston, SC now.

So... any tips? Best Roads to ride on? Best group rides? Run clubs? Swim clubs? Best local races?
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [gantaliano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pearlz for happy hour. (I've only visited so don't know much about rides etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a good answer to the question "y'ain't from around here, are ya?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Summervile, where do plan on living?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gantaliano wrote:
Ok, so I posted a few weeks ago that work may be calling me to Vegas... yeah that didn't happen. I'm taking a job in Charleston, SC now.

So... any tips? Best Roads to ride on? Best group rides? Run clubs? Swim clubs? Best local races?

One thing you have to realize about the South is how 'bible thumping' it is. You basically can't do anything on a Sunday until circa noon or 1PM because you are 'encouraged' to go to church. That said, except if the forecast was pretty much 100% chance of rain, I would do my long rides on Sundays as the only people on the road are people going to and from church. Not saying this is good or bad, just what it is in the South.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There us a great Summerville tri club from what I hear
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [Jordan45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:
Have a good answer to the question "y'ain't from around here, are ya?"

Heh... good to know. I'll work on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:

Not sure yet. Might be North Charleston or Hanahan...? Summerville isn't off the table either, but I'd like to be a little closer to downtown than that. Any recommendations?
Last edited by: gantaliano: Oct 24, 14 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMike wrote:
One thing you have to realize about the South is how 'bible thumping' it is. You basically can't do anything on a Sunday until circa noon or 1PM because you are 'encouraged' to go to church. That said, except if the forecast was pretty much 100% chance of rain, I would do my long rides on Sundays as the only people on the road are people going to and from church. Not saying this is good or bad, just what it is in the South.

Does that mean they have fewer races on Sunday? I prefer races on Saturday. =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, most races are on Saturday if I recall correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [jgn1013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jgn1013 wrote:
There us a great Summerville tri club from what I hear

I'm in tri club, it's a good group of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gantaliano wrote:
Rover24 wrote:

Not sure yet. Might be North Charleston or Hanahan...? Summerville isn't off the table either, but I'd like to be a little closer to downtown than that. Any recommendations?

If your working or living close to downtown you can use MLK pool, I swim at east shore in N.Charleston during the winter since it's the only indoor near home(15min drive).
Cycling is best the further you get out of town, Ravenal and Ridgeville as well as the Outer areas of Summerville are good areas if you want open roads.
Running, well, it's flat. If you want hills you can run the bridge.
There's a small 70.3 in Mt.pleasant in the spring and a sprint series that runs through the summer in James island.
I hope you enjoy training in heat and humidity. It's gets really bad during summer, but you can cycle outdoors year round!

Feel free to PM me if you need any info.
Last edited by: Rover24: Oct 24, 14 17:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
If your working or living close to downtown you can use MLK pool, I swim at east shore in N.Charleston during the winter since it's the only indoor near home(15min drive).
Cycling is best the further you get out of town, Ravenal and Ridgeville as well as the Outer areas of Summerville are good areas if you want open roads.
Running, well, it's flat. If you want hills you can run the bridge.
There's a small 70.3 in Mt.pleasant in the spring and a sprint series that runs through the summer in James island.
I hope you enjoy training in heat and humidity. It's gets really bad during summer, but you can cycle outdoors year round!

Thanks for that. Yeah... heat and humidity aren't my favorite. But it is what it is. I'll get used to it.

I heard rumors that there is an indoor 50m indoor pool in Charleston. Where is that at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLK is a 50m that has a dome during the winter. It's off Upper Meeting Street.
There's also Danny Jones, it's 50m enclosed, in Park Circle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Trysports in Mt P and mlk pool downtown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Circe's for lunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are very fortunate. I've lived here 11 years and can't say enough good things about it. Weather a bit warm but rode 100 yesterday and it was 76 degrees. Water sports galore and a fishermans paradise. Lots of training opportunities for long or short course. Many festivals, arts , music venues and activities to keep anyone interested. The food is world class and that's from a guy who grew up in New Orleans.
As far as tri training, there's many nice public and private pools mentioned already, tons of running options though trail running is limited , but biking is a challenge if you are serious and safety is a priority. For biking, where you live will make a huge impact. I live in Mt. Pleasant ( work in Summerville)and ride primarily country roads in Francis Marion Forrest. There's group rides if that's your thing but you can also ride solo relatively safely. Hill training is a challenge but the Blue Ridge Parkway is 4 hours away which makes for great weekend bike trips.If you want to ride out of your house, then you have some planning to do. If you don't mind driving 20 minutes to a safe location then you have many more options. If I were single and moving to Charleston, I'd want to live downtown. It's unique and interesting compared to anywhere suburbia USA. If you like you can call me. Pm your phone number and I can give you the lay of the land.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the dome currently on mlk for the winter season?
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I was told week of thanksgiving which sounded late to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [tridogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx for the info, i agree, seems a bit late.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMike wrote:
gantaliano wrote:

You obviously have not lived in Charleston anytime in the las 20 years. Charleston is no different than any other city and the church mentality is no stronger there than it is in San Diego or DC.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
JMike wrote:
gantaliano wrote:

You obviously have not lived in Charleston anytime in the las 20 years. Charleston is no different than any other city and the church mentality is no stronger there than it is in San Diego or DC.

Haha, I laughed at that. It's not like we have to wait for Jed and his other brother Jed to open up the country store before we can go shopping. I do however agree with the rain during summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mccrady's for dinner
gin joint for drinks/everything else

forget tri life. once you go to those places you'll never leave.

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
computrainer classes at trysports pain cave
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Charleston, SC. Tips? [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, I live in SC and this is nonsense. Lots of races on Sunday. Some local shops not open on Sunday, but I buy my groceries every week on Sunday mornings.
Quote Reply

Prev Next