Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Bend, Oregon
Quote | Reply
Moving the family to bend, oregon likely in the brookswood corridor. Been out a couple of times but still have a couple of questions:

1 - masters swimming does not seem competitive. Have heard that there are some triathletes who do their own thing but in a group setting at Juniper weekday mornings.

2 - is road biking possible in the winter? It's icy and snowy now but is it ever feasible in the winter? Or does everyone just mountain bike?

3 - I know there are a lot of great trails for running but how is road running? Training for an ironman you sometimes need to bang out a 20 miler on the road. How about local tracks and places to do hill repeats, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [jcdandkvd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a mountain bike!

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [StephanM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StephanM wrote:
Buy a mountain bike!

What he said.

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrazek and Tiddlywinks. That's all you need to know. Perhaps you already know that. Seriously jealous of folks moving to Bend. Sorry I don't know much about the community in question.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn you lucky dawg. Just spent the evening trying to convince my wife to buy a house in Bend again.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [Ironwimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTB and XC skis. One of my best friends lives there with his family. We are godparents, so we have a reason to visit often (darn). Friends from Chicago visited and immediately bought a vacation place there. BTW, road biking is doable in winter...just cold.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never gone to masters, as I am only in Bend 1 or 2 weekends per month. But I know that Matt Lieto is helping coach some of the masters workouts and I have heard they have a good evening group.

I would definitely get a mountain bike if moving to bend, the trails are too good. But the roads are pretty rideable throughout the winter. It does snow in Bend, but it often won't stick more than a couple of days. I've had some great road rides in the December-February time frame.

Plenty of great road running loops. The deschutes river trail is very long and useable year round too, the trail is much longer than most people realize. The NW side of Bend has some really great running loops, lots of new development and roads to run on that often time will have a nice running path on the side. As far as tracks go, there are definitely tracks at local schools that you'll be able to run on if you need to. Hills won't be a problem to find :)

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We moved to Bend last January and I'm still in awe that this is where we live! Get a mountain bike for sure. My road bike got very little action this year. The trails here are so fun.

The weather here varies a lot. I'm sure winter will present some suitable road riding days. It was almost 60 degrees in Bend last Christmas after hitting -22 the first week in December.

We just joined Juniper, but I'm done with racing, so any swimming I do will be just for the hell of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [benderin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great little town, with an abundant amount of activities year round. It is close to everything, including one of my favorite cities Portland. The locals can be a little wannabe yuppy Porsche Cayman look at me I'm the cool kid, but great food, beer and Sisters coffee is my all time favorite!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
Great little town, with an abundant amount of activities year round. It is close to everything, including one of my favorite cities Portland. The locals can be a little wannabe yuppy Porsche Cayman look at me I'm the cool kid, but great food, beer and Sisters coffee is my all time favorite!

The locals can be a little wannabe yuppy Porsche Cayman look at me I'm the cool kid. . .yes lol. Not just a little. But I agree fantastic town!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

1. Good masters programs and yes various groups of triathletes swim at Juniper every morning.

2. Like everyone else says. Get a mountain bike. XC skiing is awesome at Bachelor and Meissner which is only 2/3s the drive of Bachelor and it is free. We were riding at Christmas last year. Usually you can ride out east of town most of the winter.

3. You can use the track at the college. Do hill repeats on Awbrey Butte (Summit Drive is good). But you will love the trail running along the river. Also, the paths in Sunriver are great and really scenic for road running. I also suggest running up at Smith Rock state park.

There are group rides almost daily when the roads are dry. Century Drive usually opens past Bachelor end of May for long rides. Elk Lake is great for open water swims late June ish.

Welcome to Bend!

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for the info. So pumped about Bend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is a little old but did you end up moving to Bend? I'm curious because my wife and I are considering moving there as well.

If you made the jump, how has it been and are there any regrets? We're thinking about leaving San Diego so any insight would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id be curious to hear as well.

Id like to retire there sometime...

Don't slow down till it hurts. Then, dont slow down...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just made the move with my wife. We came from Portland, so not as big of a jump as coming from California. 3 months in and we are thrilled!

Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [mdub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replying in general....here for another visit, wishing it was permanent.

2 things....never visited a place with so many pro runners and triathletes on Strava segments. KOM's have never been so safe from me!

Never seen so many Mtb riders in full Lycra before. (I live in baggy-short land on the trails)

Awesome place!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [mdub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. We're going up for a test run in the next couple of months and hope it works.

I'm pretty familiar with the whole four season weather thing as I grew up in Boulder Co but have you noticed it to be very windy in Bend?

Thanks so much for any input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm here in Bend and loving it. It has been a great summer. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here right now...great place to visit, but makes me homesick for WI and can't wait to get back to SoCal. I have a few friends that moved here permanently and other that have gotten vacation homes. BTW, I've brought my road bike here and was ho-hum...MTBing and trail running kick ass! Seriously, if you primarily MTB and run, this is a great location...apart from being in a small city several hours from the "big city".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No windier than it would get up in Portland. Mornings are almost always calm, but the afternoon can pick up especially when I ride out east where it is flatter. Love it!

Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
BTW, I've brought my road bike here and was ho-hum

Where have you been riding that you feel it's just "ho-hum"? I find it's very far from "ho-hum", though I did move from a place where I had one single route to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you made the jump, how has it been and are there any regrets? We're thinking about leaving San Diego so any insight would be helpful.

I thought Bend was awesome when I first visited in '91 (Sept), when the population was ~20k. Very affordable, beautiful setting, lots of outdoor recreation.

In the following decade it had nearly tripled in population and seemed to be suffering the effects of too-rapid growth. It's still growing very fast. I suppose if you like living some place where there is a lot of stuff going on, then this would be seen as an improvement. Long cold dreary winters, but
that's ok if you enjoy skiing and winter sports. There certainly are worse places to live.

Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Bend, Oregon [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the population jump...the infrastructure can't handle it. My friend that lives there says that the tourism bureau estimates that the population jumps an additional 20K to 30K in the summer with up to 40K on the busiest weekends. Thankfully, the trails didn't seem crowded. Bend is becoming more of a summer town, especially this past year when they received about 10% of their average rainfall/snowfall.

Quote Reply