Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MovesCount Calorie Estimation Question
Quote | Reply
Thanks in Advance.

I am testing a new Suunto Run 3. I wore my HR monitor and targeted 125 HR bouncing between 115 - 135 HR. I went on a mid-distance run and stopped at 1,000 kcal according to my watch. My export for a tcx file format, when re-imported into TrainingPeaks showed 1,440 kcal, while the fit file format export showed 1,000 kcal when re-imported into Training Peaks. The two files appeared to agree with each other on distance, time elapsed, and heart rate. When I used several online calculators, they average around 1,380 kcal.

I checked the settings in MovesCount, and everything seems accurate. Does anyone know what would cause the watch metric during the run and the fit file format to be 44% different from the tcx format?

By the way, I will change the auto-lap from .5 miles to .1 miles in case large sampling rates are aggravating an underlying calculation problem.

Kind Regards,
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: MovesCount Calorie Estimation Question [Napoleonsfool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best guess would be that your watch is using different physiological measurements for you than the other estimates. E.g. Some or all of your weight, max HR, resting HR, age (if it's using age to estimate max HR) are wrong or at least different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience is that the figures are grossly overestimated, during a one hour tempo run, according to movescount and my ambit I’ve burned around 1500kcal while the real figure is probably 2-300 less.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually, unless the course is particularly hilly, distance in km x weight in kg = kcal burnt on your run. Pace does not matter much.
There are multiple models for calorie expenditure but the one above is simple enough to give you a pretty close estimate and figure out
what calculator is correct.
Quote Reply