Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness)
Quote | Reply
Due to a lack of "run" it has to be moved from California...I humbly recommend Pure Austin Quarry Lake...
Quote Reply
Re: Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Due to a lack of "run" it has to be moved from California...I humbly recommend Pure Austin Quarry Lake...

Since USAT has not put much if anything with Nationals on the West Coast, sure hope this time they replacement is still on the west coast.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I humbly nominate somewhere very close to me - plenty of lakes in Michigan. Plenty of run this spring, water levels are high.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

more details? i was actually planning do to this since i can drive to san louis obispo.

if anything they can do it in san diego... la jolla shores where the tri club does 5 aquathlons in the summer of 1k swim 5k run. good turn out numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's plenty of water in the Pacific. Maybe an opportunity for a real Cali rough water event... OWS rules, no drafting, no wettie ;-) But seriously, while I do not live on the west coast, they deserve a Championship or two out there, and there are lots of great venues.
Quote Reply
Re: Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness) [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wild Horse wrote:
There's plenty of water in the Pacific. Maybe an opportunity for a real Cali rough water event... OWS rules, no drafting, no wettie ;-) But seriously, while I do not live on the west coast, they deserve a Championship or two out there, and there are lots of great venues.

I agree

The USAP race at Oakland has a festival event with the Aquathlon already on July 31st. Water. Easy cheap airports. If USAT wanted to make it happen there, they can.
And talk about right in the middle of the West Coast.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

more details? i was actually planning do to this since i can drive to san louis obispo.

if anything they can do it in san diego... la jolla shores where the tri club does 5 aquathlons in the summer of 1k swim 5k run. good turn out numbers.

Just my opinion, but an aquathlon should never be wetsuit legal. I know the World Championships have been in the past so... but that is what I think.

Anyhow: details is the race has been canceled. They have to move it from SLO due to drought. I don't know how this works precisely (I think Dave might) but at this point I think USAT is willing to move it anywhere that is willing to host it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Just my opinion, but an aquathlon should never be wetsuit legal. I know the World Championships have been in the past so... but that is what I think.

Anyhow: details is the race has been canceled. They have to move it from SLO due to drought. I don't know how this works precisely (I think Dave might) but at this point I think USAT is willing to move it anywhere that is willing to host it...

There are specs for water temp whether a wetsuit is legal or not. I know at Gold Coast Worlds they violated these rules and paid the price and have never made that mistake again.

I know USAT is working on trying to find another local. I am trying to support it being with USAP in Oakland on July 31st. Race is already set. USAT can make it happen there if they want. They can also find reasons why it cannot work if they want. We shall see what happens. Ryan has said he would host it.

Quote Reply
Re: Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone from usat on this board? i hear restrictions that the race needs to be inland swim and what not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
anyone from usat on this board? i hear restrictions that the race needs to be inland swim and what not.

I know that USAT will only consider using an RD that is currently certified. :(

Yep, IMO, it needs to be a non open water ocean swim. Lots of the folks who do Aquathlon are older and IMO, a rough ocean
swim would be neither safe, or attractive for them to want to do.

Quote Reply
Re: Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Yep, IMO, it needs to be a non open water ocean swim. Lots of the folks who do Aquathlon are older and IMO, a rough ocean

Are you serious? Aquathon should probably not even be a national championship event, it is almost never raced. But to suggest they should make the swim easy because there are old people that want to do it?

It should absolutely be an non-wetsuit swim (regardless of temp), preferably in the ocean, so it is an actual serious event, not an excuse for a bunch of old people to call themselves "USAT national champions"

It's like saying, "Yep, IMO all high school diplomas should be GEDs. Lots of folks who want to graduate are feebleminded and lazy and IMO attending class for 4 years would be neither possible or attractive for them to want to do."

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Move USAT Aquathlon National Championships to Austin (Pure Austin Fitness) [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Are you serious? Aquathon should probably not even be a national championship event, it is almost never raced. But to suggest they should make the swim easy because there are old people that want to do it?

It should absolutely be an non-wetsuit swim (regardless of temp), preferably in the ocean, so it is an actual serious event, not an excuse for a bunch of old people to call themselves "USAT national champions"

It's like saying, "Yep, IMO all high school diplomas should be GEDs. Lots of folks who want to graduate are feebleminded and lazy and IMO attending class for 4 years would be neither possible or attractive for them to want to do."

Yep, 100 % serious

I know a lot of "young" folks who will not swim in ocean surf either.

IMO, if all swims for Triathlon were non wetsuit, and ocean surf, we would have no sport. Open water swimming, as is posted all the time, stops many from doing our sport. Ocean surf open water swimming would seal the deal, including me.

I hear they are going to make a decision Tuesday.

And how "old" are you?

Last edited by: h2ofun: May 29, 16 4:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Yep, 100 % serious

IMO, if all swims for Triathlon were non wetsuit, and ocean surf, we would have no sport. Open water swimming, as is posted all the time, stops many from doing our sport. Ocean surf open water swimming would seal the deal, including me.

And how "old" are you?

there are also many calm bay areas... such as chula vista marina. the RD stipulation.. well fly one down here then! I think the wetsuit issue, if ows in ocean waves should be allowed for sure... that is more a safety issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Yep, 100 % serious

And how "old" are you?

there are also many calm bay areas... such as chula vista marina. the RD stipulation.. well fly one down here then! I think the wetsuit issue, if ows in ocean waves should be allowed for sure... that is more a safety issue.

I agree many ocean swim can be in a bay or harbor. When I did the Aquathlon at Half moon bay a month ago, the swim was in the harbor behind a break water.

Water suit issue follows the normal USAT rules. Under 78, wetsuits are legal so ANY ocean swim has legal wetsuits.

Quote Reply