Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Motivation for solo training
Quote | Reply
Was doing great. Getting to the pool 5 days/week, getting my diet clean, etc. Then this week I went on a work trip Monday and Tuesday. Could have hit the hotel mill, but didn't. Indulged on food with clients. Got home tired. Wed-Fri I just did nothing. No reason, just didn't. This afternoon I'll hit the pool, then ride in the evening with my wife, so I'm not dead just yet. However, this happens a lot. I'm firing on all Cylinders, and then, BAM, I just fall apart like a little bitch.
When I lived in Santa Cruz I had great training partners. Now, I'm pretty much on my own. I get pissed at myself for COMPLETELY getting off track so often. I have a race next month that SHOULD motivate me, but when this happens, I feel like just throwing it out the window. I'm like this with bass practice too. I did CrossFit for a few years, but once I got gear and set up in the garage, doing it solo just lacked the energy that I got from group classes. Any tips on getting more disciplined and consistent?

Michael
Last edited by: mpderksen: Jul 23, 16 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe follow some friends on Strava, so keeping up with them becomes the motivation? And posting maybe gives you some accountability, although in the end it's just you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drink more coffee and find friends on starva, hell you don't even need friends on starve find rivals, when you see there workouts go out and do more. I do about 85% of my training alone.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off congratulate yourself, you are sticking to an active lifestyle and although you slip, you seem to get back up.
Also, really get it in your head that consistency/discipline > intensity. When it sets in that you don't want to do that 10 miler today (or whatever it is intervals etc) just go out for a relaxing jog. Sometimes I like to just run and not record any metrics when I'm feeling out of it. I just enjoy it more.
Lastly see if there are any tri groups that you can join around you. You might find 1 where you just meet up once a month to keep focused. Anyway that's my 2, good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
Was doing great. Getting to the pool 5 days/week, getting my diet clean, etc. Then this week I went on a work trip Monday and Tuesday. Could have hit the hotel mill, but didn't. Indulged on food with clients. Got home tired. Wed-Fri I just did nothing. No reason, just didn't. This afternoon I'll hit the pool, then ride in the evening with my wife, so I'm not dead just yet. However, this happens a lot. I'm firing on all Cylinders, and then, BAM, I just fall apart like a little bitch.
When I lived in Santa Cruz I had great training partners. Now, I'm pretty much on my own. I get pissed at myself for COMPLETELY getting off track so often. I have a race next month that SHOULD motivate me, but when this happens, I feel like just throwing it out the window. I'm like this with bass practice too. I did CrossFit for a few years, but once I got gear and set up in the garage, doing it solo just lacked the energy that I got from group classes. Any tips on getting more disciplined and consistent?

Michael

This is not a new problem and my peers talk to me about it all the time. They say how do you find the motivation. Ironically they won't get it, I do so many things like run places or commute doing errands. Heck right now I am riding on my bike typing this out. All my easy stuff is done like that, ie serves a dual purpose. Then I save the real work (and mental energy) for the really hard stuff where the gains comes. Motivation for me is different, I find people use 'group' training as a crutch and then when the stimulus is absent they can't do it. For me I limit myself to group training for this specific reason. You become dependent on it like a drug and it can lead to injury and overtraining for triathletes. But this is just me. It is up to you to find a situation that works for you.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good stuff guys. Thanks. I like the idea of doing "something" even if I miss a day on the "schedule". I have a friend doing the Aquathalon with me next month and he's swimming HARD lately. In the past he wasn't a threat, but...... That's a little friendly competition to get me in the pool right there.
Even though it's 104° today and the garage is an oven, maybe getting back on Zwift again would be fun.
Bottom line, I guess, is that TODAY, I will train. And I also need to realize that I'm not a single college kid anymore and let my family and job be important too.
Thanks for the encouragement. Sounds like at least I'm not alone in my struggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife, 3 kids, fulltime job, & Ironman training means I have no time to exercise with other people. Suck it up for awhile, & then you willbe on here typing "How do you train with other people?". I think the solo training hardens you mentally, & makes youmore competitive when you race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people thrive on solo training, others need a group to train with. I think it depends on personality.

Im a pretty big introvert (I do love people and crowds/parties at times), and find that training solo is the only way to go for me. I do 100% of my running/riding alone, and half of my swimming alone. It's just who I am.

The key to being good at this sport, or any endurance sport, is consistency. If that means that you can be consistent alone, do it. If that means you NEED to find a consistent group to train with, that's on you. Find consistency in a group or on your own and you are good to go.

A coach might also be a good idea. Accountability is huge if you have a hard time keeping on schedule.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, if you can't motivate yourself to train, why do it? I definitely have days where I feel like garbage, but I still get up when the alarm goes off, and I almost always feel better after a workout.

The only workouts I do with others are when I'm sharing a lane at the pool or during a race. I don't train with others for a few reasons. I need to get my workouts done early, and meeting up with others would slow things down. On the bike, most folks would slow me down. Swimming is the only area where it would probably benefit me - I did masters swimming several years ago, and there was way too much sitting around waiting for others to finish their sets than I cared for.

Set some goals or think of setting some PR's (age grades if needed) - if you don't have anything you are specifically training for or goal times, I'd think it would be in motivating. Set goals and try to meet them!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the same, pretty much 100% solo. I also get interruptions to my training, in fact I'm at the back end of one right now. I've had an excruciating migraine headache for the last 5 days, vomiting, thumping head, bright lights hurt etc. never had one before and damn sure I hope I never get one again. For me it's mainly sickness/illness that interrupts my training, I just try to look at it as two steps forward one step backwards and realise that it's unrealistic to think I'll be able to nail my training all year round when I work full time and have a young family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some say get a coach- that is a good idea.
But barring that do you at least plan things out in advance?
Deciding what to do on a daily basis (right before you do it) can lead to a lot of missed workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as "why do it" is because most of the time, I really dig it. This is a general personality issue, not with just this. Was looking for ideas to keep at it, or to get back quickly after a missed day or two. Trying to shorten the gaps since I do agree with everyone that consistency is king.
I don't really plan too far ahead. I've got the swimming schedule in Outlook through August 28th, which is the next event. My Gamin pushes the data to Training Peaks, which I really like. i tend to plan my months based on my copy of the Training Bible (supplemented by his PowerMeter book). I think a goal is a really great start. Nothing too far out though, since I do better when there's a shorter gap between now and the event. When I signed up for the Catfish event in January, I still didn't get serious about swimming until last month when it got close enough to scare me. Nor Cal has enough going on that I can probably find an Oly in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
As far as "why do it" is because most of the time, I really dig it. This is a general personality issue, not with just this. Was looking for ideas to keep at it, or to get back quickly after a missed day or two. Trying to shorten the gaps since I do agree with everyone that consistency is king.
I don't really plan too far ahead. I've got the swimming schedule in Outlook through August 28th, which is the next event. My Gamin pushes the data to Training Peaks, which I really like. i tend to plan my months based on my copy of the Training Bible (supplemented by his PowerMeter book). I think a goal is a really great start. Nothing too far out though, since I do better when there's a shorter gap between now and the event. When I signed up for the Catfish event in January, I still didn't get serious about swimming until last month when it got close enough to scare me. Nor Cal has enough going on that I can probably find an Oly in October.

already lots of good advice. as others have pointed out consistency is key and taking an easy day is okay. Totally agree with that. I think if you can get motivated to get a training session started (which can be hard) on those days when you don't feel like it then that can be half the battle. Once a workout gets started I find the motivation often comes. Other times I may cut a workout short if I really am just not feeling it.
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Honestly, if you can't motivate yourself to train, why do it?!

I don't think it's clear cut like, half the problem is getting out the door, once you get going it's fine.

I mostly train solo, but i much prefer to train with brother, you always push harder when you don't want a younger sibling to beat you lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was racing I did the bulk of my training solo. I tend to be pretty introverted and didn't mind the occasional long run/ride with friends, but found I preferred going solo since it helped with the mental aspect of race day. I still ride solo now, good way to clear my head.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the peace and quiet of training alone. I'm an introvert; YRMV.

Waiting to be motivated is like waiting to get struck by lightning. It is unlikely to happen with any consistency. However, you will probably feel like training... once you are training. Tell yourself you only have to run for 10 min. If after 10 min you want to go back to the couch, do it. Chances are you will keep running.

also, suck it up princess.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I like the peace and quiet of training alone. I'm an introvert; YRMV.

worth keeping that in mind (the preference / type part). I know guys who always want to be riding with someone else. I'm more of an introvert too, and need my time away from people. After a day of work in particular, I want nothing more than to go ride alone. Even if it is a hard session on the bike, it is my personal recharge time from all the energy spent interacting with people.
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

also, suck it up princess.
Best advice so far....

Not saying I WANT to train with others, just noticing there was better consistency when I know I'd be asked why I missed the track workout on Wednesday. The point of the post is that currently, I'm solo. Looking for alternative ideas to stay on track. Got few here, so thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use Trainingpeaks or Garmin Connect to motivate you. Don't allow yourself to miss any workouts. If you set up you graphs right, it can be extremely rewarding/motivating. Using BarryP's plan as a foundation , I have missed very few runs over the last 2 years. I know the FREQUENCY is necessary to build fitness & to stay injury free, so I rarely miss one of my 6 runs a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a classified as a recreational roadie, but my preference for the last three years has been to ride solo on a tri bike. I train solo almost all the time now because riding with others frustrates me. I still ride on occasion with just a few friends, but I tend to get frustrated with inconsistent pacing, frequent stops or excessive talking. There are a number of other reasons I prefer to train alone.

The one thing that motivates me to stay at it consistently with both weekday indoor training and weekend outdoor training is how hard it is for me to regain fitness. Sometimes I go on vacation with my wife where I cannot take a bike and on the return it feels like I lost everything and it takes many weeks to get back to what I feel is my base level. (My genetics lean more toward strength than endurance so when I lose endurance it is hard work to get it back. When I take a week off from lifting I am right back at former strength levels after one bad week.)

I get kind of freaked out about losing fitness and how hard it is for me to get it back. That keeps me motivated.
Keeping decent fitness keeps me motivated. Training is my drug of choice for feeling good and relieving work place stress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My take is that you need to be motivated by having a healthy fitness lifestyle, not "training." When that becomes intrinsic in who you are the question then doesn't even make sense. I am in my 35th consecutive of racing triathlons and rarely take a day off. Up at 4:20 EVERY morning to go swim. Really, it takes no motivation at all (discipline maybe). The reward is a healthy fitness lifestyle that really feels good - and, I want to feel good today, tomorrow, when I am on the road for business, when I have a crazy day, when I don't feel good, etc. The bonus is racing, although that honestly isn't the daily focus (or I wouldn't have lasted this long). On the outside people often *see* and *think* competitive and performance based, and certainly the juices flow on race day; but, again that is the result, not the motivation.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your goals need to be bigger to get you focused and that training solo no longer becomes an issue. Goal races should have an element of "scare" in them.

You mentioned work, don't under estimate that a busy 2 days of work can have equal if not more stress on the body than the actual training itself.

If enjoyment disappears then try something different, life is too short.

https://ascentsportscoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Heck right now I am riding on my bike typing this out.

You read slowtwitch and type long comments like the above while riding your bike?! Please tell me that's on a trainer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer riding (and training) primarily by myself.
Cycling indoors is obviously tough.
I find plenty of motivation for the indoor cycling from NetFlix, Prime and especially Youtube.
Anyone with a data connection has instant motivation there.
Crossfit video "Fittest on Earth" is now on NetFlix and is great.

There is so much motivational content on Youtube, it keeps me going forever.
I find IM Europe's mini-episode endlessly entertaining
WTC pulls down a lot of the old pirated Kona broadcasts, but they usually come back and are obviously great.
Never get tired of "How Bad Do you Want it?"

Once you watch that, you can bounce from all similar content they recommend for you

For all the crap on the Internet, we are so blessed with instant motivation.
NBC's new Katy Perry video, Rise, is pretty inspiring:

Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Heck right now I am riding on my bike typing this out.

You read slowtwitch and type long comments like the above while riding your bike?! Please tell me that's on a trainer...

Yes all the time. I spent $60 a Medical Overbed which I have my laptop on. Best $60 I ever spent.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next