Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Most famous climbs in triathlon
Quote | Reply
... after reading of Ryder's near win today, it got me to thinking... Cycling has their Alp, Ventoux... but what are the most famous climbs in triathlon?

Not just IM distance, but in all of the sport? Some "beasts" come to mind =-) And locally, what is the climb your friends all respect and or fear?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last 10-12 miles of the IMLP bike course. I bet that section has ruin thousands of people's days

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solarerberg at Roth
The Beast at St. Croix

People are surely going to mention the Westernport Wall at SavageMan, but that is just a little stupid, human trick. However, it is the start of a 7 mile climb of Big Savage Mountain that is probably one of the only climbs in triathlon that would be categorized 2 or higher in a bike race.

Without doubt, Halvard will have a list of epics from the European extreme niche races that are surely the biggest, baddest climbs in triathlon but would not count as "famous".

Miraculously, you will find very few MDot branded races with famous climbs. Unfortunate, but true.
Last edited by: kny: Jul 25, 15 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olde Stage (Boulder Peak?)
The Beast (St. Croix)
White Lake / Richter Pass (Challenge Penticton)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Westernport Wall at Savageman in Maryland. Claim is that it is a 31% grade. Race is a 70.0 Might be doing it this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha stupid human trick?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a few folks would say "Nasty Grade" at Wildflower.

As far as locally, Donner Pass Road comes to mind for the Donner Lake Triathlon Sprint, Oly, and Half! It's really more about where it falls in the race. It's only 3 miles but it's relatively steep and begins right out of transition at Donner Lake and climbs up to Sugar Bowl and you are on very cold legs (not to mention the beginning altitude of 6,000'). The race is tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Palani Road.

The climb to Hawi.

The climb out of the natural energy lab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Metcalf Mauler (Bud Light San Jose)...no longer raced

Who Dares...Wins!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice - from promenade des anglais on the med to 1000m above seav level. I'm guessing that might count
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Rocky M [ In reply to ]
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
haha stupid human trick?

Yes, a very awesome stupid, human trick, but just a stupid, human trick. It's short. It's silly. You get a brick in the road if you make it. Do it. And afterward report back which of Westernport Wall or Killer Miller is more memorable to you as far as a climb that has been engrained in your memory banks..... :)

Needless to say, SavageMan has a lot of candidates for famous triathlon climbs. Westernport Wall. Killer Miller. The 7 miles over Big Savage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
... after reading of Ryder's near win today, it got me to thinking... Cycling has their Alp, Ventoux... but what are the most famous climbs in triathlon?

Not just IM distance, but in all of the sport? Some "beasts" come to mind =-) And locally, what is the climb your friends all respect and or fear?

Most of what is suggested are more rolling terrain than a hill.

You will find real hills at Norseman and Swissman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Westernport Wall at Savageman, The Beast at St. Croix, Nasty Grade at Wildflower, Snow Canyon at St. George 70.3, and Chalk Hill at Vineman. I have also heard IMLP has some crazy hills but don't know if they are "named" hills. I'm also sure Norseman and or Celtman have to have some nasty climbs as well but I don't know much about those courses.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

Most of what is suggested are more rolling terrain than a hill.

You will find real hills at Norseman and Swissman

In 25+ years of pretty serious cycling across N America and Europe, can attest that Norseman's course is no joke. The climb to Dyranut is a ridiculously savage way to start an IM-length bike and the final climb to Imingfjel, with a hail storm raging during that final bit last year, was something I shall not forget. Oh yeah, the, ahem, "run" up the final hill is also something quite memorable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And evergreen - morzine to cham. Bike is 5500m of climbing approximately, run is about 2000m
Quote Reply
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
The last 10-12 miles of the IMLP bike course. I bet that section has ruin thousands of people's days

I can see that from where I sit right now. I'm thinking it doesn't look that bad, I may feel different about it by the end of tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, there IS the Alpe d' Huez triathlon.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chalk Hill at Vineman??? Surely you are joking
Quote Reply
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team_Doc28 wrote:
Chalk Hill at Vineman??? Surely you are joking

At mile 100 it's short but brutally steep and painful. The crowd support is also pretty crazy. You do it twice and you dread it that whole second loop. It's a key feature of a course that has been going for 26 years. Yeah, I would put it up there.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one is going to debate that Norseman and Swissman and Embrunman and the other little niche iron-distances over there have the hardest climbs over "real" mountains. He's asking for famous climbs in triathlon. Climbs that have some history and are iconic to the sport. And, there are startling few. The Beast, Richter Pass, Solarerberg probably would top the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2013 Martis Camp at IM Lake Tahoe. The switchbacks are worse than Brockaway itself.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Col d'Izoard in Embrun.
Quote Reply
Re: Most famous climbs in triathlon [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Olde Stage (Boulder Peak?)
The Beast (St. Croix)
White Lake / Richter Pass (Challenge Penticton)

Old Stage is no joke. At least not to me :p I live in FL and just did Boulder Peak and learned a lesson in gearing the hard way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next