Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most courteous professional?
Quote | Reply
This past Saturday I had the opportunity to witness two of the most courteous pros in the business at the Thunder in the Valley triathlon. Dave Scott was on hand to run a couple of clinics and a talk the day before the event. Daniel Bretscher with the Timex Team also made the trip from Iowa. Both were so friendly and willing to go above and beyond all weekend. Both participated, greeted fellow triathletes, and went out of their way to make sure everyone had a great day. After all the participants and volunteers were gone I saw Daniel help take down the bike racks and pickup everyone's trash in transition. How many pros after winning a race would do that and not get paid a dime? Do we have a great sport or what!

Have any similar stories of pros going above and beyond?
Quote Reply
Re: Most courteous professional? [PaulAsay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe not to the same level as picking up trash in transition, but I remember in 2012 (I think, maybe it was 2011) when Craig Alexander was sick and couldn't race Ironman Australia, he put in a full shift as a volunteer instead. And not on the fun jobs either, he was hauling pallets of sports drink mix around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro cyclist rather than triathlete, but I was on the train near Matt Holmes of the Madison Genesis team just over a week ago and he was really polite.
he helped me get my bike on the train, and offered to move seats so that some bags that would have otherwise have been leant against it could go on the seat that he was on.
He showed no ego even though we were talking about bikes, I only recognised him as a member of the team because he was carrying a branded bag and what looked like team issue trainers. Googled the team photo to see if he rode for them or was just a fan of the team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Bintan Indonesia for a triathlon this past weekend. Chris McCormack was there with his family. I was walking through the pool area and his kids were running around. He was going after one of them and just about knocked me over. He very politely stepped aside with a "sorry mate."
Quote Reply
Re: Most courteous professional? [SpaceKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpaceKitty wrote:
Maybe not to the same level as picking up trash in transition, but I remember in 2012 (I think, maybe it was 2011) when Craig Alexander was sick and couldn't race Ironman Australia, he put in a full shift as a volunteer instead. And not on the fun jobs either, he was hauling pallets of sports drink mix around.

I once saw Paula Newbie Fraser picking up trash in transition at Oceanside. Probably the nicest big name I've met in the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having known Daniel for about 6 years, it doesn't surprise me..as I'm sure you weren't surprised either, Paul.

"Grounded" is the word I'd use to describe him.

With regard to picking up trash..my guess is he was looking for unused Gels...jk!

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chrissie Wellington came to the Columbia Triathlon at the height of her fame. I don't know that she handed out medals to EVERY finisher, but it was most. She was still there when I finished having gone in the last wave and taking forever to do the race.

I saw a few people ask if she had won and she was kind and said something like "It was a tough day for me." I figured it was an olympic distance and she probably didn't care too much about the win - but reading her book a few years later apparently it was bothering her a lot but she was still out there.

The few I have met all seemed nice, but she just took it to another level or something - I reckon she must really like people.
Quote Reply