Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most aero chainring, cranks, pedals combination recs needed
Quote | Reply
So I'm getting ready for Black Friday/Cyber Monday (in case any manufactures have some sales) so I'm getting ready...

I also upgrading with either the Tririg One or Alpha + bar set and Omega X front brakes for my Trek Speed Concept (with stock bar and Ultegra brake on it currently)
I also probably going to buy Desoto Fli suit

What I was wondering about was what is the most aero combination of chainrings, cranks, pedals (cost is no option)
(I don't care about a powermeter in this combo. I Have a powertap rear hub PM already)
I'm also going with Bont Zero + or the Bont Crono shoes.

I'm mostly asking about the chainring, etc question but feel free to comment on any of my plans above

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero chainring, cranks, pedals combination recs needed [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well you're frame is BB90 so their metron crank is out unless there's some way to make BB386 work on BB90 that I'm not aware of. You're best option is probably Rotor Flo cranks with their aero NoQ rings.

For pedals I suggest ordering you Bont Zero+ shoes drilled for Speedplay and then ordering the Speedplay aero pedals/cleats.
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero chainring, cranks, pedals combination recs needed [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Bont Zero+ shoes drilled for Speedplay and then ordering the Speedplay aero pedals/cleats.

I was very disappointed in my Bont Zero+ shoes. The pictures look good, but in practice they seemed really bulky and clumsy, and the giant flap is just hard to really get a good "sea" with. I got the standard width. Sold them on eBay after a few uses.

Vastly prefer my Giro Empire + lacecover. Even with the Speedplay adapter instead of native hole pattern.
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero chainring, cranks, pedals combination recs needed [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same experience with Rocket 7 custom shoes as you with BONT. They were ultra light (drilled for Speedplay), super stiff, but disappointed in that they fell apart on the bottoms quickly. A lot of money for them to disintigrate so fast. I went with stock Specialized TriVents & now have had 3 pair & couldn't be happier for the most part. They hold up very well and are comfortable. The issue with custom is, while everything was performed to spec for sending the size/outlines to them--when I got them, they were just too tight & couldn't return them.

When your feet swell & you get numb feet from them being tight already, you're screwed. So I've decided to just stick with stock shoes--they seem to have more flexibility as far as "room to play" once you're within 1/2 size. Socks, no socks, it all works just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero chainring, cranks, pedals combination recs needed [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy Bullet and Bora cranks work with the SC and are probably about as fast as any aero crank. ERO pretty much demonstrates that the Speedplay aero pedals will be hard to beat. The Specialized or Giro lace shoes work well and the CTT crowd seems to favor the Bont TT shoe, though DMT makes a nice alternative.
Quote Reply