Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More precise way of figuring out max heart rate?
Quote | Reply
Is there a more precise way? Something a bit more precise than the 220-age formula?
Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Either get a BL test done by someone knowledgable or do what is called a field test. Search the Google for Heart rate field test

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, actually going riding or running and see what your max HR really is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question I'd ask is why bother?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because some of us use Heart Rate to train with. You obviously don't so that's cool for you.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A threshold field test is going to be more accurate than a "text book formula". The field test results can change with fitness levels, environmental conditions and "other". Good luck. Keep it simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:
Is there a more precise way? Something a bit more precise than the 220-age formula?

that "formula" is nothing of the sort, it simply describes a very general trend from a large population sample. As noted by others, you can get a lactate threshold test done and that will tell you a lot but it requires the appropriate lab equipment and a trained operator. Based on my experience (not corroborated by lab tests), you can get a pretty good idea of your heart rate zones and targets simply by doing one of the following:

1. Run a 10k race that you've previously done (so you know the course). Run it competitively, but leave enough in the tank that you can really sprint the last 400 meters or so. Your average heart rate through the event is going to be pretty close to your lactate threshold rate; and the heart rate you get at the end of the race is going to be pretty close to your 'maximum', if you really gave it all you had.

2. On the bike: Find a hill of 6 percent or so that takes about 10 minutes to climb. Warm up at about 6/10 RPE for 15-20 minutes and then hit the hill with all you've got. If the last 1/3 of the climb makes you feel like you're breathing blood, then the corresponding heart rate is going to be pretty much your maximum.

Maximal tests should not be done too often because they hurt a lot and they can impact your training activities... as others have said it's probably better to search out any of the 'threshold' test methods and do those a few times until you get the hang of it, then see what the data looks like and how the corresponding zones work out.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, 211- 64% of your age.
The old 220-age equation is notoriously inaccurate, by up to 35%. Especially in older individuals, >30yrs old.

The 211-64% of age is far more accurate, but not perfect. Developed from a study of 3,000 men and women aged 19-89 and published in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports this year.
Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [tittelba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except I'm a 31 year old male with a max of 202...

Field test or blood work.

Then after that make sure you know how to apply it. Google Joe friel training zones. By far the most accurate for me. Emphasis on the for me part. Friel spells out how to field test for max hr and lactic threshold as well
. Use it.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
Because some of us use Heart Rate to train with. You obviously don't so that's cool for you.

I suspect you are talking well beyond your knowledge. Tell us, why is max hr relevant?
Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [tittelba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest forgetting the formulas.

I'm 35 with a max of 204.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
tkos wrote:

I suspect you are talking well beyond your knowledge. Tell us, why is max hr relevant?

Back in the day I (not the OP) calculated my zones based on a % of max HR. This was back when VO2 max metrics were something people paid to have tested (side note: I tried to a couple of years ago and most places said they had moved on to lactate threshold testing).

Also, he could just be curious. I've wondered what mine is but I'm not going out of the way to figure it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the best test I've ever found. http://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/hrmax-info

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
tkos wrote:

You gather that I am an idiot because of what I wrote?

I answered a question that was asked, did you? Was my response incorrect?

I also didn't tell the poster that they were dumb, but yet you came to his defense and called me dumb.

I owe you nothing, so please leave it at that. This whole Slowtwitch my cock is bigger than yours behind the keyboard thing is just plain idiotic. You prove that.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: More precise way of figuring out max heart rate? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
tkos wrote:

Sorry--or can't we just say to the OP that max HR really isn't a useful metric for setting training zones because of individual variances and that some simple field testing might be more useful in achieving his goal? I think that the OP's post came across as snarky, but why poke?

I came across as snarky? There is nothing worse than coming into a thread were a polite question is asked then getting a stupid vague answer. This happens a lot on this site. Care to add to the conversation rather than saying "that's dumb:" well then great, otherwise why bother?

Ian
Quote Reply