Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
More Kona slots added to IM CdA
Quote | Reply
Just got an email saying they are adding more slots to CdA, bringing the total to 65. I guess they are having trouble filling a race that traditionally sold out easily. Did they seriously not see this issue coming when they moved it to August and right in the thick of the rest of the IM events in North America?
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I have no doubt its having troubling with the new date, it actually has had trouble selling out the last several years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure it will work, if it is still open in May and I don't make the KQ in Texas (with 75 slots) this becomes the next best shot.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say it had trouble selling out, I think most years it was open through October or November. Not a red hot sell out like IMAZ, but you weren't able to stroll into registration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have thought or hoped they would have bumped up IMNC from its current 30 spots. Last week it did not have even 1,000 people registered for the race. Of course having several races in the Southeast US within two months is a healthy supply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks tempting but my wedding is on Aug 27th so might not be the best idea. Anyone here do an IM the week before their wedding?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe it sold out last year and if it did the year before it was VERY late ... entries for this year were very "low". On the west coast there is Vineman, IMC, Boulder, and IMCDA within 3 weeks of each other.

I think you'll see a number of folks who don't qualify at TX / VM / Canada (maybe even Boulder) go the late entry route and ride fitness into CDA

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Looks tempting but my wedding is on Aug 27th so might not be the best idea. Anyone here do an IM the week before their wedding?

I defended my doctoral dissertation one week before my wedding. I would have much preferred doing an Ironman.

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope this is a wake up call for WTC. They need April-June IM distance races in North America. It's been said before, but with IMTX moving back, that leaves a gap of 13 weeks from 4/22 (IMTX) to 7/23 (IMLP and IMC) with nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
I hope this is a wake up call for WTC. They need April-June IM distance races in North America. It's been said before, but with IMTX moving back, that leaves a gap of 13 weeks from 4/22 (IMTX) to 7/23 (IMLP and IMC) with nothing.

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Such a great race. I'd love to do it again (really like the swim), but life balance keeps me to 10-12 hours a week.
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our American brothers down south should really consider this event. Especially with our low Cdn dollar. Everything will basically feel like it's on sale. That's one way you can look at it.
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [Cdn750rr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cdn750rr wrote:
Our American brothers down south should really consider this event. Especially with our low Cdn dollar. Everything will basically feel like it's on sale. That's one way you can look at it.

Ahem... CdA... Coeur d'Alene is in Idaho...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooops! Big oops. I was thinking the IM in British Columbia. My
Mistake.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh-oh. "Just as I think I'm out they pull me back in..." Two IMs this year?
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CDA allows a very large number of entrants- around 3000, it's always got good number of entrants- it has a pretty high rate of entrants that don't show up- almost 20%, in 2015 the did not start percentage was quite high because of the weather.
I just don't understand their real logic behind the date change- a deal with the city? I have gone there 9 times for the race(7 times competing) but not this year with the new date- the hotel I usually stay at even called me to see if I was coming for the race- I bet the city is also noticing the drop off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real problem here might be exchange rates.
It's brutal expensive for Canadians to travel to the USA right now... and likely will be for a while.
Historically, a lot of Canadians do this race.

I think WTC is also still trying to kill Challenge Penticton.
You can do CP for half the price and get an ITU LC world's spot for next year.
Still much easier to get a world's spot than KQ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand WTC can and will do whatever it wants to maximize profits, but this business of holding back slots and then tactfully allocating them stinks. I already am signed up for IMLP. I might have considered IMCdA had I known there would be 65 slots vs. LP's 40. So the least popular races get the most slots? People are rewarded for not committing early?

Before the next year's KQ cycle, the race by race slot allocation should be set in stone. If you have spare slots to reallocate, do it evenly across all the races.
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my guess is that this race will end up being more competitive than some races with only 40 slots. So the logic of I'm more likely to qualify since there are more slots is thrown out the window. Is this flawed or are chances better even if you have more competition in the age groups?
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the thinking was, but I survived last year's Sufferfest and am considering going back this year. No way it'll be as hot as last year, even in August. It'll be my 7th time and its kinda nice not having to register right away and being able to get hotel rooms a few months before the race (as opposed to a year ahead.) I think they'll be lots of confused residents for the 70.3 who are expecting a full. I imagine a few will show up for the midnight finishers and everything will be gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God I didn't even think about this becoming a tactical Kona slot allocation methodology going forward. That really gets under my skin. As you said people sign up for races depending on the number of slots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holding and allocating slots is a really interesting take on it, and one I hadn't figured on. I know there's a couple of IMs that have been cancelled this year (Melb and Japan having their 2015-16 slots reallocated into this seasons remaining Aus-NZ IMs) and more races that have had their allocations dropped, but I felt they were being recycled into new races. I guess they aren't mutually exclusive though.

Where's 50 women to Kona asking where their extra 15 slots are? They seem to be a little quiet at the moment (apart from the Sara Gross episode).

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
IronStork wrote:

x2

x3
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be a polar bear. It was 57 degrees the year I did it. Hands turned into frozen claws on the second loop!
Quote Reply
Re: More Kona slots added to IM CdA [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
IronStork wrote:

x2

X3

They should have lleft this one in June and put Muskoka in June rather than cancel. They coulld even move IM Tremblant to June now...water is plenty warm!
Quote Reply

Prev Next