Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014

I am so impressed with Julie Miller's bike time at Vancouver Half Iron to qualify for ITU Long Course Worlds in Sweden I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Here is an analysis of her times, where this 40-44 female age grouper out split Andrew Russell twice, almost 10% faster on one occasion.

https://www.evernote.com/l/AQFskw4fkZFFeYBkUkynuvf8AAx7UQVPqh4

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Aug 25, 15 19:08

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]

It is very clear that she is a serial cheater, however, my question is why did it take so long to uncover this. DO people in age-groups really not know who they are competing against and keep tabs on each other somewhat in the race.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]

Was there an Astana team car out on the course at any point?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
It is very clear that she is a serial cheater, however, my question is why did it take so long to uncover this. DO people in age-groups really not know who they are competing against and keep tabs on each other somewhat in the race.

Because it is very unpopular to be so called negative. A few days ago when I first heard of this I started a thread on IM Canada FB page and it simply stated that she was DQd for apparently not completing the run course and then went on to say that I have no other information then that. I posted a pic of her results which were eliminated and showed her DQ because people didnt believe me and I was attacked for being a troll and negative and attacking her and on and on. Even now on the IM Canada FB page there is a thread about this and some people still want to defend her or simply call out anyone who thinks cheats should have consequences as the bad guys.

Post deleted by Kilgor Trout [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Kilgor Trout: Aug 25, 15 19:47
Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

The problem is it's often hard to prove.
I have raced for years against a few guys who beat me at every small race without timing mats at every turn around or only at T1/T2, but never have they come close in a IM or 70.3 where timing mats make cutting the course very tough without getting caught.
It's known they cheat and they know we all know. They avoid eye contact and talk shit but I'm ok with the psychological mind f$&k I get to have over them vs sounding like Nibale.
If it was for a KQ spot it would be much different.
For most of them it's a sickness. Calling them out won't do much. not worth the effort.

"There may be men that can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontane

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Kilgor Trout] [ In reply to ]

I wonder if the people that are supporting her, giving her free airline miles and the like have been made aware of this?

I read an interview with her that almost made me choke. She was speaking about being fair and what made her happy was, "helping others."
http://www.powherhouse.com/...-victory-whats-next/

On race day I looked around and observed those competitors with faster bikes, sleeker gear, leaner bodies, and fancier clothing. . . Julie Miller.

http://www.powherhouse.com/...triathlete-champion/
I promise myself to push as hard as possible when I can, to love as much as I can, to give whenever I can and surround myself with people who support and build others up rather than tear them down.” Julie Miller
Last edited by: Ty: Aug 25, 15 19:54

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Ty] [ In reply to ]

I for one think they have a right to know. Hopefully the local newspaper and tadio station that were supporting her will pick up the story

Team Every Man Jack

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [powerbarjunkie] [ In reply to ]

powerbarjunkie wrote:
I have raced for years against a few guys who beat me at every small race without timing mats at every turn around or only at T1/T2, but never have they come close in a IM or 70.3 where timing mats make cutting the course very tough without getting caught.
It's known they cheat and they know we all know. They avoid eye contact and talk shit but I'm ok with the psychological mind f$&k I get to have over them vs sounding like Nibale.
For most of them it's a sickness. Calling them out won't do much. not worth the effort.

I guess I just don't understand. I know I am pretty verbal at my peers during races holding them to a higher standard. In my last two races I had a pro grab my wheel as I went by in a staggered race, you can't do that, so I just straight up told him to stagger. Two other times I told my peers to stop drafting and to stagger as well to guys going in the opposite direction post turnaround. I realize I am a little more vocal than most, and sometimes that can rub people the wrong way, but ultimately I just am not going to let people walk all over me. If you don't care that is one thing or if there is nothing of value to fight for I can understand, but it seems this was not just the run of the mill type finish here as it was for age-group gold, and kona slots. Still in the grand scheme of things of life it is not that important but also isn't right - IMO cheating breeds more cheating.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

This case imparticular is definitely in need of public shaming.
And I'm shocked how many of these people there are. Seems like a new one every race.

In a race that counts (KQ or worlds) I will be very diligent to call people out. Take numbers and check splits after.

In your case as a pro it's your pay check - so every race is very important
In small local races where for AG it's just bragging rights it's not worth it to me.
I have gotten heated a bit when they talk trash after. But without splits or credible witness you look like the ass.

"There may be men that can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontane

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [powerbarjunkie] [ In reply to ]

powerbarjunkie wrote:
And I'm shocked how many of these people there are. Seems like a new one every race.

Well and that is thing. If it wasn't for the prestige of the Kona spot maybe this goes unnoticed as well along with who knows how many other mix-up further down the standings. In the end, there are more important things in life but it does kind of bother me because the same attitude can spill out into all sorts of life. I saw the same sort of stuff happen in ORs and Cath Labs when I was a medical device rep and just shook my head. In those cases, shortcuts can literally be life and death matters.

Hi Thomas

I had already chimed in on the other thread as to why I did not say or do anything in 2014. It seemed better to take the high road, particularly since I did not have access to the detailed bike splits above (which quantitatively prove what I already knew). I know how I raced that day (actually, not that well) and at the end of the day, if she wanted to stand on the podium and claim provincial champion knowing full well it wasn't honest, so be it.

I did not show up for the awards ceremony at the Vancouver half-iron, perhaps that was my personal protest. I had been told about the course cutting, and while I could not prove enough to go to the RD, did not want to stand on the podium with her.

Did it bug me? Yes. Had I had the bike splits we are now seeing, I probably would have lodged the protest.

As background, I was the W40-44 second place finisher at the Vancouver half-iron in 2014. I am chiming in now because finishing behind someone who posts an odd result is very frustrating. I can only imagine how the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place women in that division felt at IMC. Certainly you can only control yourself on race day, but you race expecting that it is a level playing field and that everyone is playing by the same rules.

I was told after the 2014 half-iron that she had cut the course on the bike and possibly the run, and in reviewing her splits, certainly the bike split stood out. Her bike split was 2:30, notable not because it is completely unrealistic but because she does not have a history of strong bike splits and because, having been out on the course that day, it was not an easy day. My bike split that day was 2:37, although I have ridden 2:30 on that course twice before (in 2012 and 2013). That being said, my ironman bike splits during the same period were in the 5:2X territory. Hers are in the 6:00 territory. The difference is that I actually have my GPS files for each race I have done, and my results are always consistent (struggle the swim, overbike, survive the run!)

So why didn't I say anything? I did not challenge the result with the race director because (a) at the time I did not have the results on paper, (b) because it makes me look like a sore loser and (c) because it just sounds crazy. I had no strong evidence aside from eyewitnesses and a hunch. And besides that, I simply gave her the benefit of the doubt on having enough integrity to not cut the course. I cannot even fathom WHY someone would want to cheat a race course. At the end of the day, we are only just racing ourselves and in my mind there is no point in racing if you are not being honest about the effort.

That experience put me on the lookout for her subsequent results. She had a similarly odd result at the 2014 ITU Worlds (running one of the fastest women's splits, even amongst the pros, and in what were apparently hot and humid conditions). Consequently, I am not at all shocked at what has transpired in Whistler.

The situation saddens and frustrates me enormously. If she in fact has cheated, and done so in a repetitive manner that is consistent with the circumstantial evidence that the results present, there needs to be a sanction similar to what happens to athletes who abuse substances. I think it is incredible that the race director at IMC has dealt with this in such an expedient manner, as it needs to send a clear message to anyone that might be considering the same - cheating must not be tolerated, and the rules (wearing a chip and a bib) are to be followed. Period.

To be fully transparent as well, I have met her and at one point we had the same coach. She has never come across as anyone other than a nice person, although I felt that the websites and canvassing for donations for ITU worlds were over the top. That is just my personal opinion. I feel a bit saddened that she may feel compelled sacrifice her integrity over something that is, at best, a hobby. I cannot imagine how you explain this to your kids, co-workers or friends. A great race result might look fantastic on paper or on a website, but at the end of the day you have to live with yourself. Getting there any way other than putting in the work and racing the full course is just not right.

In the age group she is in.. I could see it being possible because there are likely so many people mixed in with her. I think it would be impossible in an age group like the m30-34 that I compete in becsuse they'd likely have to come in the top 5 overall. And you can be damn sure if I suspected someone were doing that I'd let them know

Team Every Man Jack

I realize that this may sound idealistic, but I prefer to believe that 99.99% of athletes start a race with the intention of being honest.

Timing mats, on-course photography and GPS trackers clearly tell a story, and if it is proven that someone is not playing fair, then I also believe it is fair to call them out. However, I believe that if we let ourselves get to the point of sniping at each other and calling other athletes out on a regular basis based on hunches, nothing good comes of the sport.

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]

I saw your original response and read it completely. I lack the necessary perspective to completely understand how difficult it might be to understand or even detect those "what just happened here" moments. At the very pointy end of the race where there are significant gaps I think it is probably easier to detect when something is awry. I think back to this race at Los Cabos where Brett Carter was behind me by a good two minutes and then all of sudden he was ahead of me by two minutes. It wasn't his fault, a volunteer had directed him incorrectly and it was easy to catch as it just never made any sense and was rectified on the spot, but if there is a mass of people and you are focused I can see how things slip thru the cracks.

Well I just show up & go as fast as I can from point A to B. That's beauty of triathlon, it's a TT. I've never studied a start list in 15 years for triathlon.

bike racing I take a serious study of the start grid because it's chess.

@rhyspencer

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]

lostinT2 wrote:
I cannot even fathom WHY someone would want to cheat a race course. At the end of the day, we are only just racing ourselves and in my mind there is no point in racing if you are not being honest about the effort.

I feel a bit saddened that she may feel compelled sacrifice her integrity over something that is, at best, a hobby. I cannot imagine how you explain this to your kids, co-workers or friends. A great race result might look fantastic on paper or on a website, but at the end of the day you have to live with yourself. Getting there any way other than putting in the work and racing the full course is just not right.

you can't sacrifice something you don't have. But yes, i'm with you. it just doesn't make sense to me. maybe it's one of those pathological things, like rich people who can't help but steal things.

"DO people in age-groups really not know who they are competing against and keep tabs on each other somewhat in the race."

It's pretty much impossible in a larger 70.3 race with wave starts. You might know who much of your competition is from your local scene, but there are often people from farther afield who you've never raced against. The faster swimmers might finish with people 2-3 waves ahead than a slower swimmer, so there might be 100s of people between a slow swim/fast run-bike guy and a stud swimmer/avg bike-run guy when they come out of the water. A lot of the body marking is illegible after the swim. On a multi loop run, it's hard to tell who is on which loop.

Also, in the AG ranks, the spread in performance for each discipline is greater than what you encounter...you get a 25/2:25/1:40 guy competing against a 37/2:27/1:25 guy...The first guy starts the run ~2 miles ahead of the 2nd guy with maybe a couple of hundred people between them on the run course if they started in a later wave.

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [kdw] [ In reply to ]

I know in some of the races I've done people haven't got the age group identifier on their legs due to compression kit etc. So it's impossible to keep track of what AG they are.

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [cougie] [ In reply to ]

Yeah...I've seen people deliberately put sunblock on just their calf/arm prior to body marking, tucking their #'s into their shorts, etc.

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [kdw] [ In reply to ]

Yeah...I've seen people deliberately put sunblock on just their calf/arm prior to body marking, tucking their #'s into their shorts, etc.
---------
They should do away with putting your age on the calf now with all the compression gear.
As for sunscreen I always put it on first thing in the morning so it can get good and dry. This works well and I never get burned, even at St George and Silverman. My race numbers stay on all day too...still got to scrub them off for two days.

Train safe & smart
Bob

I know people are going to interpret my comment as defending Julie Miller but I will say this anyway. Julie Miller has a SICKNESS. Julie Miller's actions are consistent with mental illness. Many have expressed their inability to understand why she would do what she has done. That is because we all live in the realm of good mental health. She clearly does not. I completely understand the anger and frustration of those who have been harmed by Julie Miller's actions. Julie Miller is actually one of them.

To me Julie Miller's actions point up a couple of things: the need for better tracking of athletes in races; the need for better understanding of mental illness.

Shaming, public or other, does nothing to achieve either of those.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
powerbarjunkie wrote:

I guess I just don't understand. I know I am pretty verbal at my peers during races holding them to a higher standard. In my last two races I had a pro grab my wheel as I went by in a staggered race, you can't do that, so I just straight up told him to stagger. Two other times I told my peers to stop drafting and to stagger as well to guys going in the opposite direction post turnaround. I realize I am a little more vocal than most, and sometimes that can rub people the wrong way, but ultimately I just am not going to let people walk all over me. If you don't care that is one thing or if there is nothing of value to fight for I can understand, but it seems this was not just the run of the mill type finish here as it was for age-group gold, and kona slots. Still in the grand scheme of things of life it is not that important but also isn't right - IMO cheating breeds more cheating.

I'm with you 100% here Thomas. I see it at local races all the time and it makes me shake my head time and time again. In one race this year there were three guys from a Local Tri club who passed me on the bike (something that doesn't happen often) riding as a train. I screamed out at them but that didn't alter their behavior. I then pushed hard as hell and caught up only to find out that the train was now 6 deep as others latched on and followed their lead. I obviously wasn't able to catch up but I also couldn't believe my eyes. The way in which it lured others into a "better performance" shows how viral cheating can be. During the run I was happy to see that one of them had blown up (I know the tri group well) and was bent over on the side of the run course gasping for air. I made another comment to him and then at the finish line I addressed the clubs head coach privately. I know I have no sway over them but I was hoping their coach could/would. Haven't raced them since so I don't know but I hope with him being a former ITU athlete that he has a better code of ethics then his team displayed on that day. I did however hear him say "4 of the top 10 spots went to our team, excellent results" to his assistance coach, one of the perpetrators.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Aug 26, 15 8:19

kdw wrote:

I overheard somebody at Steelhead say they lied about their age (to body markers). They were bragging about it.

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Economist] [ In reply to ]

Curious as to why this would pose a serious problem? If they are still registered with their correct age isn't that what counts.

Prev Next