Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border

I have a moral question to throw out to the group, I just witnessed a pro triathlete fresh off a victory get caught with syringes and unmarked vials of meds hidden in their luggage at border control... The border agent was not happy about this and the athlete made a claim that it was for a medical condition.. When pressed for the medicine name and the issuing dr., they claimed not to know and claimed it was acquired their home country... I did not see the end result of this confirmation but the athlete was visably very uncomfortable and acting as if they were in deep crap.. Should I ever mention who this was? do I have an obligation to the sport to help keep it clean, or do I mind my own business and go on my way.. I'm torn on this one..
Last edited by: Rlhyak: Jul 27, 15 21:22

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [Rlhyak] [ In reply to ]

Report it to WADA.

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]

Rumpled wrote:
Report it to WADA.

This. And you know, call him/her out on ST because I can't sleep right now and love a good internet mob.

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [Rlhyak] [ In reply to ]

You do realize that everyone is now thinking about races that were close to a border, and where there are border checks. So, it's probably not in Europe since the borders are open for the most part. It's probably not in Australia/NZ since it's winter there except north of Oz. So, it's probably NA, and there were only 2 races this weekend, with a pro field. That leaves very few possibilities...

I will be very careful, it could be simply nothing, you don;t want to call someone out here and this person will have to live with this for the rest of his/her career?

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [asianzone] [ In reply to ]

asianzone wrote:
I will be very careful, it could be simply nothing, you don;t want to call someone out here and this person will have to live with this for the rest of his/her career?
If it's nothing what would they be living with for the rest of their career?

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [Francois] [ In reply to ]

Francois wrote:
You do realize that everyone is now thinking about races that were close to a border, and where there are border checks. So, it's probably not in Europe since the borders are open for the most part. It's probably not in Australia/NZ since it's winter there except north of Oz. So, it's probably NA, and there were only 2 races this weekend, with a pro field. That leaves very few possibilities...

I thought there was only 1 race this weekend in North America with a pro field, but I see there was a 70.3 and a 140.6 both in Canada. When you leave Canada to go to the US you clear customs in the Canadian airport and then you technically walk over to the US govt part of the airport (at which point for legal purposes you have left Canada).

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [gregf83] [ In reply to ]

rumour and innuendo stick - irrespective of the truth so once someone says I saw bob with needles no matter if it turns out bob's a diabetic or takes heparin for flying or something else, it will come back to "they were found with needles, unmarked vials and looked uncomfortable"

As others have said, report it to WADA. If there was a chance that it was confiscated, WADA can look to get a sample to analyse.

Personally, I'd have no issue saying what you saw. As long as you are stating facts and not conjecture, let the pro explain why they had those items in their luggage.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jul 27, 15 21:57

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]

Andrewmc wrote:
rumour and innuendo stick - irrespective of the truth so once someone says I saw bob with needles no matter if it turns out bob's a diabetic or takes heparin for flying or something else, it will come back to "they were found with needles, unmarked vials and looked uncomfortable"
Usually that happens when someone has no way to prove their clean, I.e Froome climbing too fast up a hill raises suspicions that he can't disprove. I've never heard of a diabetic being labeled a doper.

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [gregf83] [ In reply to ]

based on the first answer to the OP, it seems that the name was revealed originally before the post was edited.

the degree of literalism constantly amazes me. if someone insinuates you are a cheat, lack integrity or says something like "I saw X do Y" which could be interpreted a completely different way - some people will never see the explanation or care if its true, they will hang on to the insinuation and the persons reputation is toast

in fact froomes a really good example - aside from a nationality bias which seems to be present every time one of these accusations is levelled - it was never LA, it was everyone else until it was Lance AND everyone else, its Katinka Hosszu, the chinese etc

that person should report it to WADA, possibly USADA, not throw them to the wolves on here

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [Francois] [ In reply to ]

Francois wrote:
based on the first answer to the OP, it seems that the name was revealed originally before the post was edited.

He didn't reveal the name.
But the circumstances and the reputation follows "him" every where. (I'm not naming names as I wasn't there to confirm what matches up with other stories)
Caron knows what I'm talking about.

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]

I heard a lot of that too...not the needle comment, but other comments.

Report what you saw to USADA. They will probably do a bunch of surprise tests. If they find nothing, good. If they bust him, good. Either way. Report.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jul 27, 15 22:57

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]

Dilbert wrote:
Report what you saw to USADA. They will probably do a bunch of surprise tests. If they find nothing, good. If they bust him, good. Either way. Report.

Edited for clarity.
But how do you know what she said was true and not really as what he said, then what she said wouldn't matter until it's proven...tested and double confirmed?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX

Post deleted by Mr. October [ In reply to ]

Report it to WADA, USAT, and, if relevant, WTC. The pro will be tested at some point in the future. If they're doping they'll be busted as they deserve to be. If they're clean then no harm done. Pretty simple really.

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]

GreenPlease wrote:
Report it to WADA, USAT, and, if relevant, WTC. The pro will be tested at some point in the future. If they're doping they'll be busted as they deserve to be. If they're clean then no harm done. Pretty simple really.

Lance never had a failed test ;)

No, it is not your job to be the governing body of triathlon.

Poster with ten posts, since 2012. Nobody wants to call it a troll?

Post deleted by xATLASx [ In reply to ]
Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]

Agree with this.

Titanflexr wrote:
As others have said, report it to WADA. If there was a chance that it was confiscated, WADA can look to get a sample to analyse.

Personally, I'd have no issue saying what you saw. As long as you are stating facts and not conjecture, let the pro explain why they had those items in their luggage.

Re: Moral question.. i just saw a pro get busted at the border [xATLASx] [ In reply to ]

xATLASx wrote:
Agree with this.

Titanflexr wrote:

Agree. If the allegation is true, the really cool possibility would be if these end up being performance enhancing, previously unknown to the doping authorities, and not testable for.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Jul 28, 15 6:26

This is a bullshit story. The idea that you saw him at the border with syringes and bottles is a lie unless you were traveling with him.

If he cheats he will probably get busted. But making up a story makes you a cheater too. Just in a different way.

Prev Next