Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses
Quote | Reply
Are there any out there that have done both of these courses and can compare them, especially from a bike perspective?
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses [iron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on both of them. LP has crummy roads & MT has nice/newer pavement. Different kinds of hills. LP seems to have more covered roads where MT has some open highway/less tree covered areas (except on one out & back which is really covered with lots of short steep hills near the end). Both are challenging & I have no preference--it's all in what you like.
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I've been on both of them. LP has crummy roads & MT has nice/newer pavement. Different kinds of hills. LP seems to have more covered roads where MT has some open highway/less tree covered areas (except on one out & back which is really covered with lots of short steep hills near the end). Both are challenging & I have no preference--it's all in what you like.

Any idea how LP or MT compare to Timberman or Quassy's 56 mile course?

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron wrote:
Are there any out there that have done both of these courses and can compare them, especially from a bike perspective?

This question is brought up on regular basis. Search key is right sidebar. Lots of info !

Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of new pavement in LP this year.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
iron wrote:

This question is brought up on regular basis. Search key is right sidebar. Lots of info !

Should I use a disc wheel at either of these??
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've done the Tremblant in 2012 and 2013, and the ha in 2014, and just finished Lake placid on Sunday. The road from Placid to Keene used to be pretty ugly but has been re-paved except for a couple of km's. The bit between Jay and Ausable Forks and back isn't new but its not too bad. Tremblant has lovely roads.

I think that the Lake Placid is significantly harder than Tremblant. How much harder depends on how good a cyclist you are. For people who can ride well in the hills, Placid is a little harder. For poor cyclists like me, it is a lot harder. In Tremblant, i rode 5:50 and 5:55. In Placid, i rode 6:30. Granted, i had a pretty lousy day, but even on a good day, i wouldn't ride Placid in under six hours.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on one loop: Quassy>LP>MT>TM.
Last edited by: spider: Jul 29, 14 2:57
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georgereid wrote:
i've done the Tremblant in 2012 and 2013, and the ha in 2014, and just finished Lake placid on Sunday. The road from Placid to Keene used to be pretty ugly but has been re-paved except for a couple of km's. The bit between Jay and Ausable Forks and back isn't new but its not too bad. Tremblant has lovely roads.

I think that the Lake Placid is significantly harder than Tremblant. How much harder depends on how good a cyclist you are. For people who can ride well in the hills, Placid is a little harder. For poor cyclists like me, it is a lot harder. In Tremblant, i rode 5:50 and 5:55. In Placid, i rode 6:30. Granted, i had a pretty lousy day, but even on a good day, i wouldn't ride Placid in under six hours.

Wouldn't you say you need to be brave to ride LP well, with the long down hills many triathletes get penalized because of fear, if you had the wet roads I know I would be riding on the hoods once I picked up some speed. Where as in a rolling course, like Tremblant most of us will fly down the hills because they are not that long so your top speed is only for a bit - just a theory.
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant vs Lake Placid Bike Courses [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure there is much difference in the two. at Placid, there is really only one long downhill, the one to Keene. I was sitting up and on the brakes on the first loop Sunday in the rain, same for most everyone around me. Second loop we just let it roll down the hill. much more fun. Now that it is newly paved, it is much safer than it was.

at Tremblant, the downhill to La Conception, when riding north, worries me as much as the Keene downhill. Its shorter but you can get just as much speed. Have had crosswinds while going down that hill, which was not fun at all.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply