Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Milwaukee Marathon distance blunder; Boston Marathon won't accept times
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Milwaukee Marathon distance blunder; Boston Marathon won't accept times [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
How does this stuff happen and two years in a row...

http://www.jsonline.com/...e-blunder/779196001/

The same way that most mistakes happen... arrogance and lack of attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Milwaukee Marathon distance blunder; Boston Marathon won't accept times [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How hard is it to ride the course with a GPS device to check for gross errors? I know that GPS isn't super precise, but good enough to notice a mile error in 26.2 miles! Normally might not be a concern, but last year the course was *long*, so one might think that special confirmation would be appropriate this year. Apparently not...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blimey, being nearly a mile short is inexcusable.

In the UK, the Greater Manchester Marathon (one of the big city marathons) was found to have been short by 380m for three-consecutive years in 2013-15; they measured it once in 2013 (incorrectly as it turns out) and then just used the same erroneous setup for 2014 and 2015 as well. You'd think these things would be recertified every time, once the course is actually laid out, especially if it involves cones and turnarounds rather than roads, trails and physical landmarks.

Anyway, given the numbers involved in that case, the London Marathon (for which there is a qualification system similar to Boston) made an exception and allowed people who were something like 5 minutes or more inside their qualification time to still use it as a qualifying race. Seemed like a fair compromise, to allow in the people who would have clearly achieved a qualification time.

It's a bit tougher being nearly a mile short though; given the small numbers involved, you'd think Boston could perhaps deal with it on a case-by-case basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was interesting how one guy says when I show someone my medal they say isn't that the race that was one mile short? Do people carry around their running medals to show they did a race? Couldn't they just wear their t shirt to the local fun run.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're just making up for having the course long the year before. I did this race the inaugural year and I thought I had basis to be pissed when they botched the licensing for the beer tent. With 2 race directors botching the race 2 out of 3 years I think it's time this race goes the way of Old Yeller. Sucks though as a Milwaukee native I was initially peeved that the Summerfest grounds CEO was giving them a hard as they initially wanted to schedule this race in the spring (contradicted with a big $ half marathon). At this point I can't see why any runner would choose doing the Milwaukee Marathon over the Lakefront Marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Milwaukee Marathon distance blunder; Boston Marathon won't accept times [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
How hard is it to ride the course with a GPS device to check for gross errors? I know that GPS isn't super precise, but good enough to notice a mile error in 26.2 miles! Normally might not be a concern, but last year the course was *long*, so one might think that special confirmation would be appropriate this year. Apparently not...

It was and it was marked the week going in. A few cones were placed in the wrong spot at the turnaround on race morning.

You can do everything and check all of your T's and one slight misplacement ruins it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Milwaukee Marathon distance blunder; Boston Marathon won't accept times [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I thought it was interesting how one guy says when I show someone my medal they say isn't that the race that was one mile short? Do people carry around their running medals to show they did a race? Couldn't they just wear their t shirt to the local fun run.

My guess is the large majority of non-BQers will now sign up for this race so they can "achieve" a new PR or just finish a "marathon" short a mile. Perhaps it wasn't a mistake by the organizers recognizing BQ pop accounts for a quarter even at the easiest of courses... I dearly hope I'm wrong

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Milwaukee Marathon distance blunder; Boston Marathon won't accept times [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
giorgitd wrote:

It was and it was marked the week going in. A few cones were placed in the wrong spot at the turnaround on race morning.

You can do everything and check all of your T's and one slight misplacement ruins it all.
Yep. At the Woodlands marathon in 2016, the biker leading out the runners took a wrong turn at the very start of the race, and cut 0.8 miles off. Same result - BAA wouldn't accept BQs. It just takes one small mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: Milwaukee Marathon distance blunder; Boston Marathon won't accept times [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

I read the article and got the impression the runner was simply using an example to express his frustration not that he actually showed anyone his medal and someone actually retorted that the race was a mile short.
Quote Reply