Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Millennials at the gym
Quote | Reply
They're all texting for their whole workout. I just joined the gym after over a decade not stepping foot in one. They're all on their phones. All the time.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised there is no "Strange denizens of the gym" thread. I see far weirder and much more irritating behaviour there than I do at the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. I get home before they even get warmed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of dudes with hipster lumberjack beards as well. Not judging, just observing.

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
They're all texting for their whole workout. I just joined the gym after over a decade not stepping foot in one. They're all on their phones. All the time.

I just started lifting again after a few years. I see this to. And even less putting ones own weights away. Annoying.

With that said, in seeing more chicks in the weight room. I don't know if that is millennial or regional. But I like it.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I am too, except it's because I use a lifting log app. Enter my weights, reps, etc, after every set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least the Mun is not in style anymore. I saw a lot of those paired with the Mumford beard the last couple of years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually had to honk at a pedestrian yesterday. Young woman on the left sidewalk waiting for me to slow down before crossing. She was looking at her phone the whole time though. I stopped, she started walking, made it about 3/4 of the way across the street - so directly in front of my car - and stopped to start typing a message. Stopped. I beeped (quick one) and she jumped a little and finished crossing. Idiot.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I see a lot of people using lifting apps.

Plus, what else are you supposed to do for 90 seconds between sets besides facebooking and twatting?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Plus, what else are you supposed to do for 90 seconds between sets besides facebooking and twatting?

Move and allow someone to work in with you. In my experience, Millennials come to the gym to reorganize their 500+ song playlist while you wait on them to move, particularly if it's any equipment that could conceivably be used as a chair.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Move and allow someone to work in with you. In my experience, Millennials come to the gym to reorganize their 500+ song playlist while you wait on them to move, particularly if it's any equipment that could conceivably be used as a chair.
And we tied onions on our belts, which was the style back then.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay focused! Don't let them crush the podium dreams later this year.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
I'm surprised there is no "Strange denizens of the gym" thread. I see far weirder and much more irritating behaviour there than I do at the pool.

Funny you should say that, I wrote a blog about the weird people at my gym you may enjoy

https://talesaboutlemurs.wordpress.com/2016/04/20/sights-and-sounds-of-the-gym/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I text between sets while I'm waiting...but usually I don't to keep focused. But I ALWAYS pay attention to make sure no one wants to work in, etc. I've started bringing a small notebook to detail workouts instead of apps on my phone. Then update my spreadsheet when I get home.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I downloaded an app for my phone, but a little notebook is so much quicker and easier to use. Once the routine is set, just need a little check mark or quickly write down a new weight / reps

There might have been one guy in there using a weight training app. Everyone else was texting.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started PPL so it's a little more complicated than the 5x5 I was doing prior. I love the notebook. You're absolutely right, it takes less time to scribble!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
I actually had to honk at a pedestrian yesterday. Young woman on the left sidewalk waiting for me to slow down before crossing. She was looking at her phone the whole time though. I stopped, she started walking, made it about 3/4 of the way across the street - so directly in front of my car - and stopped to start typing a message. Stopped. I beeped (quick one) and she jumped a little and finished crossing. Idiot.

Keep in mind that in many locals, pedestrians IN the designated crosswalk HAS the right of way and by law the driver must allow the crossing whether texting or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn kids! Get off my lawn
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're basically becoming our parents :)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

'Sup Bro? They have lots of business to do and are probably finalizing multi-million dollar deals.

Stop hating, Brah.
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

Eh, it's the way of things. The millennials are already starting to complain about Gen Z, and their rantings are just as baseless and anecdotal as the older folk complaining about them.
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Eh, it's the way of things. The millennials are already starting to complain about Gen Z, and their rantings are just as baseless and anecdotal as the older folk complaining about them.

Yep. It cracks me up. I am Gen X, and when I was younger, people just hung out at the gym talking face-to-face. They sat on the equipment and got pissy if someone interrupted their conversation so they could work in a set. I don't see how people on their phones are any worse. If anything, they are better, because I don't hear the texts, and 20 years ago, the men lifting weights thought nothing of having raunchy conversations.

I also see a lot of old people in the pool "exercising" while they just sit on pool noodles (what are those for, anyway?) and talk. They each think they need a lane, and can get pretty angry when expected to share. Also, if I am wearing earplugs, goggles, and a cap, do NOT interrupt my workout to tell me about your grandkids.

So after Gen Z, what will they be called?
Last edited by: happyscientist: Jun 10, 16 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: Millennials at the gym [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:

Let's pick up this discussion when the millennials stop talking about all their feelings. #HTFU is still a thing, but millennials are too busy with their noses in their apps, or trimming their beards, etc., to realize it.

Also, what's "Gen Z"? Did you mean GenX? GenY? 'cos a "Z" would a/k/a millennial.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 10, 16 5:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not just them,

I was chugging along on the TM the other day, and there was a cute woman about my age, on the stationary bike beside me, slow pedaling while typing on her phone

I was killing it, sweat was rolling off my brow and dripping on my spex, and she was just having a lovely time, barely working, BUT making good "conversation" with her friends

When we got home, I had a little chat with her

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next