Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mid-Atlantic Triathletes...(2nd UPDATE, even better news!)
Quote | Reply
Got two emails this evening within the space of an hour.

1) Piranha-Sports is calling it quits at the end of the season, after 17 years in business. I know, I know...but let's not dance on their grave.

2) Racine Multisports reduces pro/elite/open amateur prize money ($5000 total => $3200) due to lower registration numbers.

Hope to see VTS-MTS expanding into some of the venues vacated by Piranha-Sports. Also, hope some of you will consider coming out to Luray for a couple good races that deserve a look if you haven't tried them before. I generally don't race in July or August, but after having been talked into giving Luray a try, I've made it the exception the past 4 years.
Last edited by: gregn: Aug 30, 17 16:44
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racine is a pretty good organization in my opinion wish they would put on a longer distance race somewhere here in the tri-state I think there is a market for at least an early season one. Lake Raystown is the only one I know of and I am not sure how well it is run. I made a remark about there being no Ironbrand races in PA in another thread....
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Racine is a pretty good organization in my opinion wish they would put on a longer distance race somewhere here in the tri-state I think there is a market for at least an early season one. Lake Raystown is the only one I know of and I am not sure how well it is run. I made a remark about there being no Ironbrand races in PA in another thread....

It's my understanding this past year was the last year for Raystown 70.3.
Was piranha Sports the one that put on the Dewey Beach try or was that someone else? I just participated a few weeks ago in Perryville Maryland diamond in the rough put on by piranha Sports. That was a decent Olympic race
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Piranha did the Bethany beach? not sure about Dewey. That's a shame to hear about Raystown. I really wanted to do that one. Good course - good area just too far out of the way I guess...... I think May is a Little bit early as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this year was it for Raystown. Loved that race. I did it every year she had it. Someone should really consider picking it up. Absolutely beautiful venue. It's a shame.

I always said it could be the Wildflower East. You can camp or rent a cabin 50 yards from transition. Early season leads to potential for cooler weather / water, but that race went off every year without modification of any kind. Water will usually be low 60's which I think is ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dewey Beach Triathlon is one of the independently owned races currently produced and directed by Set Up Events along the East Coast. Don't know who holds the permits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the Bethany beach tri this year on 9/24...pretty sure that's Racine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize that was what that email was about. One thing I will say for Piranha is they put on a good event for new people.

Before it folded and when they ran it, Tri for our Veterans was a good event.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [SBRmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRmd wrote:
I'm doing the Bethany beach tri this year on 9/24...pretty sure that's Racine

Bethany Beach Triathlon is owned by Focus Multisports, timed by the Racine crew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are any of you guys thinking about doing the Outer Banks 70.3 this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not on my schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell me more about VTS-MTS. How competitive is it?

What about Delmo Sports picking up Lake Raystown?
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

VTS - MTS is pretty competitive
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake Raystown was dropped due to a lack of volunteers. Two years ago it featured a 57F swim and 43F air temperature. Even had a snow blast on the higher elevations on the way home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peterszew wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Just like with any race, it depends on who shows up, they put on a lot of races and I've done some with very competitive fields.
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [SBRmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRmd wrote:
Peterszew wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Just like with any race, it depends on who shows up, they put on a lot of races and I've done some with very competitive fields.

Amen to that - my local tri was always dominated by USAT's 2015 triathlete of the year
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Competitive enough I'd say, most of the time. What VTSMTS does very well is serve two very distinct markets in a way that allows both to have the day they are looking for. Racers get to compete hard and those who are there for mostly the personal challenge or the fun...they can do their thing as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peterszew wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Last VTS/MTS race their were three all-Americans and one honorable mention in my age group, I finished 5th.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading the first post, I thought ''what us VTS-MTS?''

After scanning the rest of the thread, I still don't know.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out vtsmts.com

Then sign up for Savageman
Last edited by: TerpFan: Aug 11, 17 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
After reading the first post, I thought ''what us VTS-MTS?''

After scanning the rest of the thread, I still don't know.

http://www.vtsmts.com/

Virginia Maryland Triathlon Series

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes... [TerpFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TerpFan wrote:
check out vtsmts.com

Then sign up for Savageman

Well played!!! Great race(s).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
Got two emails this evening within the space of an hour.

1) Piranha-Sports is calling it quits at the end of the season, after 17 years in business. I know, I know...but let's not dance on their grave.

2) Racine Multisports reduces pro/elite/open amateur prize money ($5000 total => $3200) due to lower registration numbers.

Hope to see VTS-MTS expanding into some of the venues vacated by Piranha-Sports. Also, hope some of you will consider coming out to Luray for a couple good races that deserve a look if you haven't tried them before. I generally don't race in July or August, but after having been talked into giving Luray a try, I've made it the exception the past 4 years.

UPDATE

Just got this email about an hour ago and it's great news for the local triathlon community. Kudos to Greg Hawkins for picking up and continuing these races and hope to see more of this in the future.

Message from Greg Hawkins, new owner of North East and Diamond in the Rough Triathlons:

“We are excited to continue the legacy started by Neil Semmel 17 years ago with the incorporation of the Northeast and Diamond in the Rough Triathlons into the Virginia-Maryland Triathlon Series for 2018. Many of our team will be racing Northeast this year and look forward to bringing them into our series in 2018. The Northeast Triathlon was the first triathlon I ever did back in 1995 and the both the town and the race are very special to me. On behalf of the athletes of the Mid-Atlantic we want to thank Neil and the Piranha-Sports team for all their hard work and early mornings that they put into the regions multisport races and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.”

Registration for all Virginia-Maryland Series races will open November 1, 2018 atwww.vtsmts.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg does a great job with his races! I'm glad to see him step-up to keep local races local... Now if I can just figure out how to get a free race since that's my picture on their trailer in the background!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Atlantic Triathletes...(UPDATE, great news!) [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm based out of Hagerstown, MD (where Racine Multisports is located) and had no idea they even had a pro payout. Unless this is another Racine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next