Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Microsoft Band
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely intrigued by this new Microsoft "Band" fitness tracker. I'm curious to see what other ST'ers think about it. It was just announced yesterday evening and is available to buy now for $199. So far it seems be generating positive reviews.
http://www.microsoft.com/Microsoft-Band/en-us

Unlike the Garmin 910XT which I currently own, the MS Band cannot be worn in a pool and does not support ANT+ peripherals, but it seems like it may actually be a really useful device for all other types of physical activities and it adds some "smartwatch" features too when paired with your phone (supports iOS, Android and Windows). But it has an HR monitor integrated into the band which is way more convenient than a separate chest strap. Plus it would start syncing data as soon as it pairs with your phone over bluetooth, which is much less hassle than the painfully slow ANT stick data syncing.

It has its own GPS that does not rely on being paired with a phone unlike some other smartwatches that have been released (or announced) and does not need a cellular data plan (yay).
There is a sweat sensor, skin temperature and accelerometers/gyrosopic sensors for detecting types of movement). It seems like it's got a good cross-section of features to make this compelling, even though it likely won't a full substitute for a triathlon sports watch like a Garmin.

Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [busynizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested too, mainly for the sleep tracking function and the 24 hr heart rate monitoring. I may check it out over the weekend depending on how long and hard the winter storm is this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This caught my interest today for sure... I work designing health software. Another device I'm looking forward to seeing is the Leo -- jumped on that Kickstarter, and am awaiting my final product. :)

https://www.indiegogo.com/...fitness-intelligence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it has the same success as other Microsoft hardware, they will stop caring about it in 2 years and stop supporting it and move onto following the next trend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new watch and just now looked into this and... I'm impressed.

I have a windows phone and absolutely love it (even though this is supposed to work with other phones).

GPS, HR monitor, works indoors, phone integration. Very nice. And the $199 price point is perfect.

The one thing I don't think I could live without for a running watch is "current pace". Need to see if that's a possibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice little review here - http://conceptdev.blogspot.com/...-day-1.html?spref=tw

"Your pace is available by 'swiping down' on the screen while you're running. It auto-hides after a while, returning the display to the elapsed time and heart-rate."
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lifejustice wrote:
If it has the same success as other Microsoft hardware, they will stop caring about it in 2 years and stop supporting it and move onto following the next trend.

You are aware that Microsoft now owns what was Nokias mobile hardware division right? They kind of have a real interest in this now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriWithT1 wrote:
I'm in the market for a new watch and just now looked into this and... I'm impressed.

I have a windows phone and absolutely love it (even though this is supposed to work with other phones).

GPS, HR monitor, works indoors, phone integration. Very nice. And the $199 price point is perfect.

The one thing I don't think I could live without for a running watch is "current pace". Need to see if that's a possibility.

Windows phone here as well (plus 2 surfaces, multiple media center machines, server.. blah blah blah)

It has everything I want but the wake up feature that the some of the others had, which is sort of the main reason I want a device like this. The cortana connection though would be great as I have been using that more and more lately.

GF wants one too (iphone 4 user so won't even connect I don't think), she is contemplating a half next year and this would be a nice step for her since I doubt she'd commit to a full multisport watch, this would at least give her some metrics.
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What "wake up feature"?

I had a FitBit Force that vibrated for the alarm. It was ok, but was also a bit terrifying in the morning.

I got tired and bored with the FitBit and took advantage of the recall to get my money back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriWithT1 wrote:
What "wake up feature"?

I had a FitBit Force that vibrated for the alarm. It was ok, but was also a bit terrifying in the morning.

I got tired and bored with the FitBit and took advantage of the recall to get my money back.

I am blanking on which model or version but it detected when you were in a lighter sleep state and would wake you up within a set window instead of just going off at a specific time where you might be in a deeper sleep.

Two reasons I want it, first being the GF gets really annoyed at my alarm going off at 5 am to go workout or swim. She one of thos who's morning routine is about 5 minutes from dead a sleep to looking perfect (which I love about her) but it means she is passed out until well after 8. The other is I have found that I do end up having better mornings when my alarm goes off at just the right time or if a dog nudges me while I'm in a lighter sleep vs the alarm just blaring away. So wanted to give something like that a try.
Last edited by: mrtopher1980: Oct 31, 14 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I know what you mean.

Yeah, the vibrate alarm was nice for that exact kind of thing. 5 am alarm that doesn't wake up the wife. I'm searching, but haven't found anywhere that mentions a vibrate alarm feature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You can also turn haptic (vibration) alerts on or off, and set the intensity level for the vibration"

I'm guessing this means alarm alerts could be set to vibrate. Not the automatic wake up thing, but I'm thinking you could do a silent alarm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not marketed at we advanced triathletes. But definitely the type of wearable I've been waiting for someone to make. Could it be a little more slim? Sure. But that will come. I'm not going to replace my fine timepieces with an Apple Watch or a Moto 360. But I do want simple notifications that allow me not to have to pick up my phone - in addition to advanced health tracking.

The big news here is what they plan to do with the data. And because its cross platform compatible this has the potential to be a game changer in the health/fitness tracking sphere of things. It's the beginning still but the outlook is promising.

To add, I just returned a Garmin Vivosmart. And while slimmer, the Band makes it look like a toy. Garmin doesnt have the capital or developer experience to match the Microsofts, Apples and Googles of the world. That doesnt mean I get rid of my Garmin devices. Because they're still the best at their primary function. But their current experience in the wearable market is laughable at best.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
lifejustice wrote:

You are aware that Microsoft now owns what was Nokias mobile hardware division right? They kind of have a real interest in this now.

I have worked on many of their bipolar roadmaps and I can tell you how short-sighted their product intentions are. "We are going to take market share of this new area!" "And then what?" "Who cares!"

It is perfectly ok for me to be skeptical when Microsoft Hops onto a market that they have no previous background in. I will continue to do so and watch them drop services for it.
Last edited by: lifejustice: Oct 31, 14 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be looking for this one as well. Price is on the high side, but the design looks sharp and it seems to have all features, whereas other trackers always seems to be lacking one feature or another. I'll wait for solid critics on the HR, because I've been struggling with a Mio Link for a while and I'm slightly wary of HR worn on the wrist during exercise.
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Struggling with the Mio LInk? I found the Mio LInk to work very well. But the Mio is intended for training whereas the Microsoft Band or the Basis are not. THe new Basis says it should work during exercise, but I don't see the point to have devices that work during exercise when they don't have the functionality real sport watches have (like a lap button function, continuous HR display, pacing, etc).

I was planning to order an MS Band this morning but it's not available anymore online... maybe I'll check out a store this afternoon.

Quote | Reply
Completely agree with lifejustice. Like when Microsoft claimed they were going to take market share in gaming hardware, only to drop the XBot (or whatever it was called) 2 years later back in 2004 after struggling against PlayStation. And when they claimed they were going to take market share in cloud services, only to drop support for Azzure (or whatever) back in 2012 due to Amazon's dominant market position. I totally believe he "worked on may of their ... roadmaps".
Last edited by: theoMop: Oct 31, 14 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is an iphone (maybe android too?) app that does that - tracks your sleeping at night and wakes you when you're in a lighter phase of sleep (but you likely already know that?)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Struggling with the Mio LInk? I found the Mio LInk to work very well. But the Mio is intended for training whereas the Microsoft Band or the Basis are not. THe new Basis says it should work during exercise, but I don't see the point to have devices that work during exercise when they don't have the functionality real sport watches have (like a lap button function, continuous HR display, pacing, etc).

I was planning to order an MS Band this morning but it's not available anymore online... maybe I'll check out a store this afternoon.

My Mio Link works well to acquire data. But half my workouts I do with the Mio Link, I doubt the HR I get. I never doubted my strap before that, but when I look at Mio data, I either feel it's 20bpm too low or too high. It's just a feeling because I don't have a way to measure both the strap and the Mio at same time, but I often see a 150 average on what should have been a recovery run, or a 110 average on a tempo run...
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<there is an iphone (maybe android too?) app that does that - tracks your sleeping at night and wakes you when you're in a lighter phase of sleep>>

There may be others, but my wife uses http://www.sleepcycle.com/ (Android and iOS) and likes it.
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [theoMop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theoMop wrote:
And when they claimed they were going to take market share in cloud services, only to drop support for Azzure (or whatever) back in 2012 due to Amazon's dominant market position..

You sure about this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<You sure about this?>>

I'm equally sure about that as lifejustice is sure that with all other "Microsoft hardware, they will stop caring about it in 2 years and stop supporting it".
Last edited by: theoMop: Oct 31, 14 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
there is an iphone (maybe android too?) app that does that - tracks your sleeping at night and wakes you when you're in a lighter phase of sleep (but you likely already know that?)

I have windows phone there are no apps :)

Also if I plugged my 920 in and put it under my pillow I'd burn my house down.

Technically I could use an iphone or android I have laying around for something like that, but what fun is that I want to buy a new toy!
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [theoMop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(I thought I might've been a little slow on the uptake there. I was really hoping at least.)
Last edited by: TriWithT1: Oct 31, 14 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: Microsoft Band [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
Cobble wrote:

My Mio Link works well to acquire data. But half my workouts I do with the Mio Link, I doubt the HR I get. I never doubted my strap before that, but when I look at Mio data, I either feel it's 20bpm too low or too high. It's just a feeling because I don't have a way to measure both the strap and the Mio at same time, but I often see a 150 average on what should have been a recovery run, or a 110 average on a tempo run...
Obviously I can't tell you if your unit works correctly or not, but i have both a Mio Alpha and a Mio Link and have tested them a few times together with other devices. Last night on my run for example I used my garmin strap + Mio Link + Jabra pulse and collected the data from all 3 devices. For the Mio Link I even collected it both via ANT+ as well as via BLE. THe Mio data matches the Garmin HR strap data extremely well. Any chance you are have the wrong size or somehow light creeps in between the armband and your wrist? Are you collecting the data via BLE or ANT+?

Prev Next