Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Miami vs New Orleans vs Austin vs Arizona
Quote | Reply
I'm looking in to a late season 70.3. Swim is my weakest, bike and run are my strengths and I'm hoping to take a shot at an AG placing in 25-29. Race weight is 150-155. I do fine in the heat/humidity. I have friends and family in Miami and Arizona so some potential savings there but it isn't the deciding factor. Any recommendations? Experience or advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Miami vs New Orleans vs Austin vs Arizona [abetances15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did NOLA last year when it was an early spring race. I did not like the venue or course. The swim was in a harbor with water that smelled like boat fuel. The bike was just a long out and back among ugly desolation. The bike and run were about perfectly flat. The run would have been beautiful and scenic along Lake Pontchartrain if not for the weather (high wind and low cloud base). Last spring, the wind was off the charts, and that made the swim and bike unusually challenging. The chop in the water sucked. Though, the wind and weather would likely be totally different in the fall. I did not like the venue, and I will probably not do NOLA again.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami vs New Orleans vs Austin vs Arizona [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I did NOLA last year when it was an early spring race. I did not like the venue or course. The swim was in a harbor with water that smelled like boat fuel. The bike was just a long out and back among ugly desolation. The bike and run were about perfectly flat. The run would have been beautiful and scenic along Lake Pontchartrain if not for the weather (high wind and low cloud base). Last spring, the wind was off the charts, and that made the swim and bike unusually challenging. The chop in the water sucked. Though, the wind and weather would likely be totally different in the fall. I did not like the venue, and I will probably not do NOLA again.

I was there last year too, and exxxviii's summary mirrors how I feel about it.

While I'm sure the 25-30 gusting to almost 40mph winds didn't help, it was a brutal swim (I felt bad for the not-so-strong swimmers) in nasty water, followed by a flat, straight, open bike course through the 'meh' side of town followed by a flat, straight open run course on the lake. I'd give it another chance if I was still living nearby, but wouldn't travel to it again.

While I can't say I've done it, I haven't heard many good things about the Austin 70.3 course, either. Most reviews/race reports seem to harp on a marginal swim, crap quality roads and transition placement in a thorn/sticker-prone field.

If you're a local to this area, there's also Kerrville (maybe a bit early) and the Oilman in Conroe, unless you're dead set on an m-dot race.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami vs New Orleans vs Austin vs Arizona [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
If you're a local to this area, there's also Kerrville (maybe a bit early) and the Oilman in Conroe, unless you're dead set on an m-dot race.

Echoing this... if you are not set on an m-dot, check out the Lake Logan Half. That race is simply stunning. It is wetsuit legal in a beautiful mountain lake. And, the bike and run are in the hills. It is pure rural mountain beauty. The bike course is legit: I averaged 20 MPH on about 230W at a 185 lb. race weight.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 14, 17 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: Miami vs New Orleans vs Austin vs Arizona [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in WI so all of these are travel for me. I appreciate the heads up on NOLA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where at in WI? I know you said that you wanted to a later in the year HIM but in mid July there is the Door county half. If I hadn't signed up for Racine HIM I would be doing that one. From what I am told it is a great race and venue along with a great atmosphere and volunteer support.

I am in Eau Claire so it would be about a 3 1/2hr drive me to get there which really isn't to bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abetances15 wrote:
I'm in WI so all of these are travel for me. I appreciate the heads up on NOLA.

Since you're set on traveling, if I were in your shoes I'd do something fun/nuts like the SavageMan 70.3

Then you could take a shot at placing and get a brick in Westernport Wall!
Quote Reply
Re: Miami vs New Orleans vs Austin vs Arizona [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm adding in that if you can ignore a lot of the Austin "complainers" I think its a great venue. Clean lake (most-likely a wetsuit swim), a rolling hills ride, and huge support crowd on the run, you can't get it wrong with Austin. I didn't think the roads were bad and I only saw one flattened goat-head when I was parking. Plus, if you do well in hotter races, Austin should be your ticket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only comment on NO and Miami as I did both of them last year. With them being on the same day this year I am choosing to go back to Miami. In fact, before I knew they were on he same day I was planning to go back to Miami and not to NO, if that tells you more. Miami was logistically easy, a more entertaining run course with the overpass four times, and overall a very well done race. The host hotel is a few hundred yards from swim start. When I got there last year I parked my car and didn't touch it until I drove back to the airport. Bike course for both was boring and flat.

Quote | Reply
The swim was canceled at Austin last year, so there's that ;) I don't know if that was a one-off thing (it was due to fog) or if the potential exists for other years as well.

A lot of people bitch about the Austin 70.3 race course, but I actually liked it. The roads aren't really that rough (certainly no worse than other roads in Texas, and better than many) and for those who whine about it not being scenic -- it's actually kind of pretty rural areas, plus I'm busy kicking my ass, so it's not like I'm out for a leisurely cruise or anything. The run course is three loops, so lots of opportunity for crowd support, but it did get really hot last year (and I think the year before it was quite cold...).

Not saying it's the best race out there toward the end of the year, but I'd pick it over the other three you have listed. Plus, Austin is a neat city! And while the course isn't on the "cool" side of the city, it's not far and you could easily stay downtown rather than near the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOLA is a well-run race. The course is not perfect, as it's too expensive to close the roads in the touristy parts of town. That said, it is a completely closed course. If you've ever been buzzed by rednecks at races in places like FL, you know to be thankful for the closed course.

It's tough to judge the race by last year's experience. About half of the bike course is Louisiana swamp, which you can appreciate when you're not fighting a 30+ mph crosswind. That was the windiest it's ever been by a factor of 2 or 3, and it was incongruently warm.

Also, it's always been an April race, and it's usually been hot. This year it's in October, when Louisiana has its best weather of the year. If it's cool with a light breeze, which is typical for late October, this is a PR course.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Miami vs New Orleans vs Austin vs Arizona [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did NOLA in 2015 and enjoyed it. I agree the swim sucks and you inhale a bunch of gas fumes.

But the bike is flat and closed to traffic. Roads in excellent condition (at least compared to DFW where I live. YMMV). It isn't scenic, but for pure racing it's great.

Run course is also mediocre, but sufficient. Again - great for racing. I know I never am paying much attention to scenery when actually racing.

And NOLA is a fun town. I'd do it again. And probably will.
Quote Reply