Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Miami 70.3 RR - 2nd Amateur/1st 30-34
Quote | Reply
Full report here:

https://smjtri.com/2016/10/25/miami-70-3/

Shorterish version:

Race morning came and I got my breakfast in consisting of 2 packets of oatmeal and a banana. I also downed a bottle of EFS Pro (6 scoops) and a couple swigs of liquid shot before the swim start. It was pretty chilly in the morning with the temps being in the high 60's. I did my best to stay warm prior to the start but after I took off my layers, I was shivering standing in my corral for the swim start. I was very fortunate to be in an early wave (wave 5 to be exact). 18 minutes after the pro men and only two female AG waves ahead of me. My goal was to get to the front of the AG waves on the swim and early parts of the bike and then eventually start catching the pro women on the bike in order to get out of site from everyone in my AG.

Swim (28:55 - 2nd AG)

I got a great start on the swim and had clear water from the get go. Myself and one other set the pace early as we swam side by side to the first couple buoys. Knowing it's a long day, I stayed relaxed and smooth in order to keep the hr down. No sense killing it on the swim to gain only 15-30 seconds. We started catching the females in the wave ahead of us before the 1st turn buoy. It was a bit crowded in certain sections but I managed the best I could. After the first turn, I noticed everyone drifted way left towards the boat and things started to get really choppy. Not sure if it was the current that pushed everyone left but I had no problems sighting the next couple buoy's and made sure I was swimming the shortest possible distance. I was hoping I would lose the other guy among the masses but he was persistent and sat on my hip/feet the entire way. We got to the 2nd turn buoy and that's when things really started to open up. I felt like we had the whole ocean to ourselves. I figured we had just swam through 90-95% of the 2 waves ahead of us and had a clear path to the swim finish. The other gentleman started to pick up the pace at the final turn buoy so I let him take over and sat on his hip/feet. I felt no need to burn any matches to win the swim. I glanced at my watch just before coming out of the water and saw 28 min. Wow.... that's slow. I usually swim 22-25 min depending on the course. I didn't feel like we were out there for that long and I felt really good that we kept the pace strong to get a good gap on everyone else. I came out of the water just behind the other gentleman and with a long run to transition, I yanked my swimskin down and started getting my Kiwami sleeved kit on. I struggled a bit to get it on/zipped up, which cost me maybe 20 seconds in transition but I feel it makes up for it by not stretching the suit out on the swim and the aero advantages on the bike.

After looking at my garmin, the course was a "bit" long (100 yards by my watch). Others have said that clocked it at 1.5 miles (mine was 1.26). I swam really good lines so I'm a bit questionable on those that got 1.5 miles. But who knows.... Garmin watches aren't always the most accurate. I honestly think the slow swim times were more attributed to the current than the distance.

I also used the new Quarq Qollector for GPS tracking so Mandy, my coach, and some family/friends could track me on the bike and run. They had some issues with it but Mandy managed to get things figured out so they could track me and see hr/power.

Bike (2:14:14 - 3rd AG)

I exited transition just ahead of the swim leader and I also saw Linda Robb coming into T1 as I grabbed my bike. I know she can swim and she always wins the swim in her AG (let alone the whole race!) so I knew right away we had swam to the front of the amateur waves. I hopped on the bike, got into my shoes and took off with the lead. I had drove part of the course the day prior so I knew there were tight turns and very questionable road conditions in/out of the city. I made sure to keep my head up and eyes open for any hazards and not to lose any nutrition. I had a hard time judging some of the turns as they were tight and/or blind so I couldn't judge how much speed I could carry so that cost me a bit of time. I looked back a few miles in and no one was insight. I managed to keep the power in check the first few miles even though there were plenty of times my body was screaming to go and push 300+ watts.

Once I got onto 22 Ave, I started to get into a rhythm. The goal was to ride 250-255 watts. I was riding right around high 240's, low 250's and my HR was finally coming down. It was a very "cool" day compared to the last few weeks so I made sure I was drinking enough EFS Pro to keep hydration levels up. I felt like was managing good time and putting more time into everyone else in my AG as I got on SR 112 and then eventually US-27. Once on US-27 I started catching a few female pro's. At mile 15, I had already drank almost all of my first EFS Pro bottle so I finished it and tossed it just before the aid station in order to grab a gatorade. US-27 first heads NW and I was riding around 24 mph on that section. It then makes a slight right and heads directly north. My speed dropped immediately to 20 mph with a direct head wind for an 8 mile stretch. I knew this is where I could put even more time into everyone else by staying low and keeping the power steady and consistence. I caught a couple more pro women just before the turn around. Once at the turn around, I quickly grabbed some water and went back to work. I averaged just shy of 250 watts on the first half and I was still feeling good.

I knew you could fly coming back south and had to take every opportunity given. For the next 8 miles, I kept the power consistent and stayed as aero as possible (I averaged above 30 mph on this section). Around mile 35, I started to get a bit nausea and I had to pee. I drank some water hoping my stomach would settle down and tried a few times to pee but I couldn't manage it without significantly slowing down. I eventually started feeling better around miles 45-50. Heading back into town, there were a few sketchy areas and one close call with a cop who didn't see me coming their way. At this point, I just wanted to get to T2 without wrecking or flatting. I biked the entire 56 miles alone. Unfortunately, I had no one to ride with. I had zero benefit from others being around me or getting the sling shot effect some of guys behind me would have gotten. I rolled into T2 fueled and hydrated with good momentum and sizable lead.

Run (1:26:41 - 5th AG)*PR

I hopped off the bike and heard Mandy yell I had a 6-8 min lead. There was a 2nd wave for my AG that started 4 minutes behind my wave which made it almost impossible to know where exactly you stood in the race. I knew I was at front but I just wasn't sure what the margin was. I had a fairly good T2 even though my hamstrings yelled at me when I bent over to put on my socks/shoes. I exited T2 just behind a pro woman but immediately passed her less than 50 yards into the run. I knew the first 5k would be the key to the half marathon. Go out too fast and I would pay for it later on. I stayed calm and collected and started running what felt like a comfortable pace. I glanced down at my watch early on and saw ~6:30 pace.... ok perfect...... just sit there...... no slower...... no faster. Less than a mile in, my legs weren't feeling that great and I had a few negative thoughts roll in. I started focusing on my form, running with my core engaged, and letting my legs just along for the ride. The weather was absolutely perfect. Nice and cool and I didn't feel hot one bit. I didn't even feel like I needed water on the first few aid stations but I knew better and took some anyway. I got to the first "hill" over the MacArthur causeway and just tried to maintain my same effort to the top and not worry about the pace slowing. Once I got to the top, I was able to fly back down by just "letting go" and let the legs do their thing. All those Cardiac hill repeats back in high school and college in Pittsburgh really paid off on how to run downhill. Once down the hill, my confidence was in the sky and my legs were feeling great. The first 5k went by real fast, much faster than Raleigh did which I knew was a good sign.

At the 1st turnaround, I took note of the time to see how much of a lead I had. On the way back, I saw some guys in my AG who I figured were in my wave and not the latter. I had a little less than an 8 minute lead from what I could tell. But not knowing who was in the other wave, it was still a crap shoot. Around mile 5, I thought the pace might have been too easy. My hr was low (low 160's which is high zone 2 for me) and I was feeling great. I figured I would keep the same pace and get to the half way point where I could reassess. I saw Mandy just before the half way mark and she told me I was doing great and to stay calm and relaxed. My coach was watching the Quarq Qollector data and told her my pace and hr were spot on. Mandy also told me to look for bib 799 (David Schmidt) as he was in 2nd.

I made the turnaround for the back half and I was still feeling good. I still had to pee but I couldn't manage to go and I wasn't stopping at this point. At this point, I had only taken on water on the run. I had a flask full of liquid shot but I didn't feel like I needed it and I was worried if I took it, my stomach wouldn't like it. I took a sip of gatorade around mile 8 or 9 which made my stomach a little uneasy so it was back to water from here on out. I had a few moments where my mind was slipping as I knew I had the AG win in the bag. I quickly got my head back in it as things can quickly change in a second. Back over causeway two more times in which the last time was a bit of a struggle. My hips tightened up and my stride really started to shorten going up the hill. On the down hill, I was telling myself to play it smart and don't do anything stupid like trip and fall or roll an ankle. My gut was getting questionable and the pace was starting to slow. I fed off some of the fans in that last mile and made the final couple of turns for the finish. I crossed the finish line knowing my first two goals were accomplished and I just had the race of my life.

4:13:26 - 1st AG, 2nd AMATEUR, 25th OVERALL including Pros

About 5 minutes after I finished, someone from the 35-39 AG finished with a 4:10 and at that point I honestly didn't care. I accomplished my main 2 goals and that was good enough for me. I have never raced more of a complete race across all 3 disciplines. This was by far my best run in any distance triathlon. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm still shocked I ran 1:26. I knew it was doable coming into the race but I guess I never felt I could actually execute it.

As I said earlier, this has been a long time coming. I've been waiting to write this race report for a few years. I know what I'm capable of when I'm healthy and on my A game but I have just never been able to show it at a race. That time has finally arrived.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 RR - 2nd Amateur/1st 30-34 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race. No way I or anyone else was catching you Sunday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and good job on your goals.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good job! Glad I didn't race it this year :). A few questions...What does your training look like? What is your weight and your W/kg? Aero set up? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 RR - 2nd Amateur/1st 30-34 [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Great race. No way I or anyone else was catching you Sunday

Thanks man. Great race to as well and it was good meeting you.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 RR - 2nd Amateur/1st 30-34 [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
good job! Glad I didn't race it this year :). A few questions...What does your training look like? What is your weight and your W/kg? Aero set up? Thanks!

I averaged 13.5 hours/week in the 9 weeks leading up to the race. Had two weeks just above 15 hours.

Swim
2-3 days/week.
10.5k yards/week avg

Bike
3 days/week (trainer on the weekdays and outside on the weekend).
125 miles avg/week (peak weeks were around 150)

Run
5-6 days a week (mostly on a treadmill).
~35 mpw
My running has been mostly slow easy running. Only did a few runs at or near race pace.

I'm 5'10" and was 162 lbs on race day. I averaged 238 W (241 NP) at Miami (3.23 w/kg). I haven't tested my FTP in a few years but I would estimate it's in the 300-315w range.

Aero setup:
Trek speed concept 9 Series
Zipp FC 808 front, Super 9 rear
Vittoria latex tubes, Specialized turbo cotton tires, silca rim tape
One standard bottle BTA and one behind the seat
Darkspeedworks bento on top tube for gel flask
Kiwami LD Aero Tri suit
LG P-09
Not necessarily aero but I run Ceramicspeed OSPW, UFO chain, and BB bearings.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 26, 16 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race, great report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race man! I am glad De Silva raced there instead of Austin 70.3, gives me a chance this weekend. Really solid bike power off not that many miles per week. Congrats.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report. Excellent race, congrats!!!

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 RR - 2nd Amateur/1st 30-34 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Great race man! I am glad De Silva raced there instead of Austin 70.3, gives me a chance this weekend. Really solid bike power off not that many miles per week. Congrats.

Thanks!

My coach and I briefly discussed my bike mileage a few months ago. If we want to see more improvements on the bike, I'm going to have to put in more time on the bike. I

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
solitude wrote:

I averaged 13.5 hours/week in the 9 weeks leading up to the race. Had two weeks just above 15 hours.

Swim
2-3 days/week.
10.5k yards/week avg

Bike
3 days/week (trainer on the weekdays and outside on the weekend).
125 miles avg/week (peak weeks were around 150)

Run
5-6 days a week (mostly on a treadmill).
~35 mpw
My running has been mostly slow easy running. Only did a few runs at or near race pace.

I'm 5'10" and was 162 lbs on race day. I averaged 238 W (241 NP) at Miami (3.23 w/kg). I haven't tested my FTP in a few years but I would estimate it's in the 300-315w range.

Aero setup:
Trek speed concept 9 Series
Zipp FC 808 front, Super 9 rear
Vittoria latex tubes, Specialized turbo cotton tires, silca rim tape
One standard bottle BTA and one behind the seat
Darkspeedworks bento on top tube for gel flask
Kiwami LD Aero Tri suit
LG P-09
Not necessarily aero but I run Ceramicspeed OSPW, UFO chain, and BB bearings.

WOW - congrats. You are my beacon, sir.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Thanks!

My coach and I briefly discussed my bike mileage a few months ago. If we want to see more improvements on the bike, I'm going to have to put in more time on the bike. I

yea really surprised at those low miles but being able to hold that power, but as you know if you add miles to the bike you take time away from somewhere else or just add more hours to the week overall. But pretty impressive on just 13.5 hours a week. I hold similar power but am putting in much higher volume then you just jealous you are doing that one 125 miles a week.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 RR - 2nd Amateur/1st 30-34 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
stevej wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Thanks!

yea really surprised at those low miles but being able to hold that power, but as you know if you add miles to the bike you take time away from somewhere else or just add more hours to the week overall. But pretty impressive on just 13.5 hours a week. I hold similar power but am putting in much higher volume then you just jealous you are doing that one 125 miles a week.

And that's exactly my battle right now. I can't give up running as I need to keep making improvements there. So I need to find a way to add a 4th bike day in or just add more miles to my existing bike days.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job man! I struggled in the water for some reason, and the headwind really killed me as I pushed too hard to keep up the speed. Personal worst across the board for that race. Great job and great times, a lot of people seemed to struggle more than not! Awesome!
Quote Reply