Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Metatarsalgia- how long to recover
Quote | Reply
I've just been diagnosed with Metarsalgia. I had pain in my feet for a while and finally went to get it checked.

Doc said no stress fractures so 2 weeks aleve, rest, and ice and I should be fine to get going again but make sure I'm pain free walking before I run.

Pain really went down a lot and most of the time I'm pain free except when I'm barefoot. I thought I would be better by now as its been almost 3 weeks of no running.

Anyone have experiences with this?

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsalgia- how long to recover [TriMatt18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this for a while - tried many different shoes, orthotics, etc. Saw a surgeon who also ruled out a stress fracture. Didn't run for several months (although in all fairness, that was due to a raging case of ITBS). In the end, I found a pair of shoes that worked for me and I've stuck with those. I stopped running on concrete and other hard surfaces except races and the occasional long run. I do 90% of my run training on the treadmill.

Have you tried changing shoes? Mine are actually a full size bigger than what I normally wear - having plenty of room in the toebox helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this last year and was pretty much zero running. Somebody smacked me down and told me to lose 10 pounds and wear those round jelly inserts under my forefoot AFTER I shed the weight. I lost 12 pounds and did the jelly inserts and am now fine. Honestly, for me it was losing the weight that made the biggest difference. The jellies just helped me get it all back.

Also, since then, my outer three toes are spread further away from big toe and next toe, requiring me to go with a bigger toe box.

Now, I run faster and jelly free, but am very careful to not aggravate it. I walk around barefoot all the time, wear NB Minimus Trail Shoes sz9.5 and Altra Superior sz10 trail shoes. I run on all different surfaces (asphalt, concrete, trail, single track, fire road) up to 1/2 marathon distances. Though I just recently did a 25K trail run and was fine.

I'd suggest finding ways to soften the impact on the inflamed area. For me, the jellies worked. Try whatever inserts you can. It won't last forever. It is just completely debilitating when it is aggravated.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsalgia- how long to recover [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had it for two years now. I continue to run on it. What has worked the best is the Hoka Bondi 4, the new Clifton 3 isn't bad either. The design of the shoe rolls you onto your toes. I also remove the full inserts and replace with an insole that has the metatarsal pad that spreads the toes. Go 1/2 size larger so your toes have room to spread out with the new insole. Replace shoes every 300-400 miles and use the old ones for work, home, yard work, when ever you need to wear shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Metatarsalgia is a catch all diagnostic... He's basically saying he has no idea what you have. Did he also rule out a neuroma?
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsalgia- how long to recover [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We ruled out a neuroma. Actually it was the 2nd opinion that the doc said metatarsalgia. My 2nd toe starts about 9mm higher then 1 and 3. Inflammation is right in that spot.

Matt
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMatt18 wrote:
I've just been diagnosed with Metarsalgia. I had pain in my feet for a while and finally went to get it checked.

Doc said no stress fractures so 2 weeks aleve, rest, and ice and I should be fine to get going again but make sure I'm pain free walking before I run.

Pain really went down a lot and most of the time I'm pain free except when I'm barefoot. I thought I would be better by now as its been almost 3 weeks of no running.

Anyone have experiences with this?

Where exactly is your pain with your foot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search forum rroof and I have written tons on this subject. Get shoes that are low on the flexibility scale and likely stability. Saucony Mirage, though discontinued, are easily found. The latest shoe that works for many is the NB Vongo. A more rigid shoe should ease the metatarsal break. Also consider a good orthotist or podiatrist and to change load, some will want to cutout, I prefer to shift load to first met head with small post or wedge. If you are midfoot-forefoot striker an inverted orthosis often is effective. Lots of other variables to considered, it likely will come back unless you address the mechanics unless you had a major training error or acute injury. Do not ignore it if you want to run long-term, chronic cases often end up with plantar plate tears.
Last edited by: ktm520: Sep 25, 16 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: Metatarsalgia- how long to recover [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's right at the base of my toes where my foot starts. The worst spot is at the 2nd toe.

Matt
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother had this and it is only just cleared up after months. He used these pads. which really helped him with his metatarsalgia.
Last edited by: theJames93: Feb 20, 17 6:37
Quote Reply