Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Messed up on FTP test, how much rest before I retest?
Quote | Reply
After 10 minutes of the actual test (not the warm up portion), I realized that I couldn't hold it for another 10 minutes. On top of that, I was riding at around same or lower power from my previous test. I just finished sweet spot II on trainer road and was getting ready for the build. I was feeling off all day, possibly a little bit sick, and I had some mild soreness from a 10k run.
Assuming that I feel 100% tomorrow, how soon can I retest? I don't want to fall too far behind my training schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: Messed up on FTP test, how much rest before I retest? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
After 10 minutes of the actual test (not the warm up portion), I realized that I couldn't hold it for another 10 minutes. On top of that, I was riding at around same or lower power from my previous test. I just finished sweet spot II on trainer road and was getting ready for the build. I was feeling off all day, possibly a little bit sick, and I had some mild soreness from a 10k run.
Assuming that I feel 100% tomorrow, how soon can I retest? I don't want to fall too far behind my training schedule.

Testing IS training. If you feel good, go for it. That 10 minutes was not enough to put you in the hole.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Messed up on FTP test, how much rest before I retest? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Prevost wrote:
hubcaps wrote:

Testing IS training.

Heck yes. I did a swim and 7 mile run yesterday morning, and a leg/glute strength workout in the afternoon. Did the 20 minute test today. While the legs felt tired, I still gave it a go because that test is a good training session. My FTP ended up being the same as my test 4 weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Messed up on FTP test, how much rest before I retest? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are different, nobody knows the answer to that question better than you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just catch it after your easier week, until then keep training away, it's not like some sort of moon rocket launch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obree set his hour record after screwing up the first time, but he had rented the track out for 24 hours so he made another attempt early the next morning. He improved.
You'll be fine.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:

Less than 24 h...but only if you stay up all night eating cornflakes and drinking lots of water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done an FTP test but just go by long intervals and feel on intervals. High CTL is what gets you fit, nothing else. Hear me now, believe me later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I retested after about 3 hr break and dinner. Definitely felt better. Maybe I needed a longer warmup. However, my FTP was exactly the same. I had dramatic change after sweet spot I (176 to 191). Got 190 after sweet spot II. Not sure what that means. My best guess was that it was over estimated after sweet spot I because it was really hard to complete sweet spot II (I had to add an additional rest day some of the weeks). Well, on to base build. Thanks for all the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Messed up on FTP test, how much rest before I retest? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
hubcaps wrote:

Less than 24 h...but only if you stay up all night eating cornflakes and drinking lots of water.

Obree!!

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply