Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Medical question, pinched nerve root @ C6-7 - update + thanks!
Quote | Reply
Update...

Thanks to those who responded - especially those who spent time on PM's and phone calls. Awesome!

I had surgery on April 20, (3 weeks ago). Surgeon advised a disc replacement - plastic disc between metal plates.
Pain from surgery was minimal, lasted 4 days. Pain from pinched nerve gone immediately. At the 2 week follow-up; the surgical scar was almost gone and strength seemed better. Tingling still present but only about 10% compared to before surgery. I got the clearance to resume SBR and have been doing so for a week. I lost a ton of fitness compared to the date the disc bulged (Feb 18) but, things seem great.
I am super happy with the results and glad that I got the replacement over fusion (hopefully I'll still be happy down the road).

I hope this info is helpful to someone. Having no pain is so cool! (original post is below)

First post - been on ST for years. Mid Feb. Neck went super sore, then arm shortly after.

PT determined bigger nerve issue than he could deal with, suggested MRI. Family Doc. ordered one. Bulge at C6-7 causing nerve root pinch. Left arm is weak (except bicep is OK - for now), fingers tingle most of the time - recent in last few days.

Finally got a surgeon appoint in 1 week. Likely to suggest a fusion. Big national "spine center" says they can do minimal procedure(s). for faster recover (more money, because not in my ins. network).

Anybody have comments? I can't ride, looking up makes my left arm worse (unsafe), swim is decent form (good range of motion, no strength - so, slow) running is actually pretty darn good.

any help appreciated.
ketih

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Last edited by: manofthewoods: May 11, 17 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Medical question, pinched nerve root @ C6-7 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds very similar to me two years ago. Woke up one morning in excruciating pain in neck and down left arm, nerve pain, and weakness in arm and hand (could not pick up a glass of water). In summary, went to MRI, had two rounds of steroid epidural shots to neck, not helpful. Consulted with surgeon, very well known in my area. So, ended up having fusion c5-6 surgery about 8 weeks after the day I woke up in pain. He was very concerned with the weakness in arm as it was getting worse. So, fast forward to now, doing great, neck strong, arm strength has come back, not 100% but improvement, and training no problem. hope that helps. You can try physical therapy and the shots before considering the surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar issue that has been getting gradually worse over the last few years. A few months ago the pain in my upper back was unbearable. Bad enough to get me to go to a doctor and I hate doctors. I have been doing physical therapy 2-3 times a week since and now have no pain. Been doing a lot of neck exercises, traction, stretching and chiropractic adjustments. My right tricep was basically atrophied but is now getting stronger. I can also stay in aero more comfortably then ever.

I would suggest finding a good physical therapist to start. Then maybe a pain management doctor (this was going to be my next step but by the time I saw him the pain was pretty much gone). I would do surgery as a last resort.
Quote Reply
Re: Medical question, pinched nerve root @ C6-7 [houtexan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
believe me - surgery of any kind is not what I want. But, I miss my left arm - I'm kinda attached to it.

I've done traction - a ton, usually feels good, tingling fades, but then comes back after I'm done. Pain is sometimes OK (during running, I block it). But, I'm wondering if anybody has experience with the "minimally invasive" surgeries. Fusion is a season killer.

I don't want to lose permanent function - and it's getting worse. PT can't fix the bulge, and was good enough to know his limits. He did help with initial spasms after the first week(ish) or two. That was really painful. now I'm "only" weak and losing feeling. time is ticking.

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have they tried corticosteriods to get the nerves calmed down? Sometimes bulges can resolve and there are specific motions that can help with that.
You might want to seek out a PT who specializes in treating spine issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Medical question, pinched nerve root @ C6-7 [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very similar to me a couple years ago. Left arm has pain and tingling in the hands. MRI shows bone spur at C7. Bone spur aggravated the tissue and the swelling pinched the nerves. I had cortisone shots in the spinal cord. Swelling went away and arm was back to normal. Before i would get surgery to fuse anything I think shots would be a topic of discussion with Dr. If you simply had some irritated tissues creating the bulge, some cortisone may help alot.

I had the same issue by trying to look forward when riding on the bars. That position really aggravates my condition. You may need to adjust and get a little higher position to be able to not look as high when in the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke C6 & C7 last year, and know that numb, tingly fingers feeling all too well. I had fusion done to C6-C7-T1, and it was a really, really tough surgery. I believe for bulging discs they can go in from the front of the neck - ACDF? Mine was done by cutting in from my back, through all those muscles and doing the fusion that way. I wouldn't wish that surgery on anyone as it's been super tough to recover from.

If ACDF is an option for you, I have friends who have done it and been back at triathlon very quickly. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot me a PM... happy to discuss with you.

I'm a neurosurgeon... deal with this every day :)
Quote Reply
Re: Medical question, pinched nerve root @ C6-7 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I broke C6 & C7 last year, and know that numb, tingly fingers feeling all too well. I had fusion done to C6-C7-T1, and it was a really, really tough surgery. I believe for bulging discs they can go in from the front of the neck - ACDF? Mine was done by cutting in from my back, through all those muscles and doing the fusion that way. I wouldn't wish that surgery on anyone as it's been super tough to recover from.

If ACDF is an option for you, I have friends who have done it and been back at triathlon very quickly. Good luck!

thanks and sorry for your tough recovery. So far, ACDF has been suggested by a surgeon who looked at my MRI, but, I thought the recovery was a pain (pun intended), not as tough as yours, but, "breaking" vertebra is kinda serious - no spinal cord damage? you are lucky. - sounds strange to say, but true.

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is completely manageable by a good PT. ACDF should be your last option. You will will do best with a mckenzie credentialed physical therapist. A good one will be able to reduce your arm pain and show improved strength in your tricep during your first treatment session. If this can be done, you have an excellent chance of recovery. Be aware that having weakness that is increasing is a red flag and will likely end in surgery. Good luck and get treated ASAP!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every case is different of course. I had a rupture of C5 and some bulging at C6. I felt the disk burst. Then I had terrible pain for about a month. Confirmed by MRI and EMG. When the pain subsided, I had profound left upper body weakness in the pecs, triceps, biceps and lats. I went from 75 pushups to not being able to do a single one. But I was not really having any pain. My neurosurgeon said that if I could live with where I was physically, that I should avoid surgery, so I did. It took almost a year for the strength to come back. I did not get all of it back but a good bit. Worked my way back to a 200lb bench press and 16 or so pullups. Previously 200 lbs would have been a warm up weight but I am OK with it. It has been 9 years now and I am 49 years old. I have a bit of stiffness in my neck but no pain. It has not gotten worse. I can run, bike, swim, deadlift or whatever I want if I am careful. No real limitations. I am really glad that I decided to avoid surgery.

I was in the Navy at the time and I found PT to be completely useless in that setting. I had to rehab this on my own. I still do some neck mobility and strength work. Seems to be working OK.

Again, every situation is different and surgery may be a better option for you than it was for me. Just sharing my experience.

Mike

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply