Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mechanics: help! (hydraulic coupler)
Quote | Reply
here is what came out of the box:

i don't know if the cable unintentionally fell out of the coupler or if it's designed to come this way and then i shorten to suit.

the cable appears to have a compression insert already in it. mind, i'm entirely naive to bike hydraulics (i suspect i'm about to learn some), but in copper compression fittings (where i am not naive) it seems like the same sort of dynamic is in play.

if so, then i would stick the cable (if it's the correct length) into the fitting, screw down the fitting until it's tight and then whammo i'm good. except that i may then need to bleed the line.

yes?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanics: help! (hydraulic coupler) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a Shimano easy joint.

I don't like the way they look, so I completely replace it with a new line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot to answer your question...

Yes, you should be able to simply insert the hose, tighten, and bleed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are the parts that should be visible.

what I'm not seeing is the "olive" (the brass compression fitting in the middle of the pic) that is likely in front of the black threaded thingy). It looks to me that you inadvertently pulled the line out of the fitting and will need to reinstall these parts in the proper order. I mean you might be able to wedge all that crap in there and it "might" hold but if it's your brake line you'll probably want to err on the cautious side.

edited for less derp.

You probably won't be able to slide the olive over the hose as the other insert part expands the hose with the idea of it preventing what has happened from happening. I've sliced the hose down and reused these things before but I can't say that you have enough hose to do that.

Last edited by: Tim_Canterbury: May 17, 17 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanics: help! (hydraulic coupler) [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could it be the olive is embedded in the fitting? i'll look around, but i don't see it as of yet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, if you remove that threaded thing I'd bet $$$ the olive is hiding out there. Most shops have the olive and the insert available for a few bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanics: help! (hydraulic coupler) [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i unscrewed the compression fitting, looked in there, and there is what appears, from the outside looking in, something like a ferrule. so i threaded it back in, stuck the cable in there, it felt like it went all the way in the ferrule type dealie, and then tightened down that compression piece. it's snug. the cable aint coming out.

but when i depress the brake lever nothing happens, at which point i either did something wrong or i reckon i need to bleed the line.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you need to bleed again. With an opened connection, air gets in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, the Shimano olives and inserts are not designed to be re-used again, even though I have seen others do it, I myself have always erred on the side of caution and replace it when I disconnect the cable. They are cheap enough from LBS or Jenson.
Quote Reply