Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race
Quote | Reply
Today mechanical doping was detected during WC cyclecross Heusden-Zolder ladies U23 at the bike of Femke van den Driessche.
The UCI is testing an app on a tablet to quickly scan a bike to see for any irregularities.

More to follow.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/uci_detains_bike_cyclocross_worlds_394233_394233
Last edited by: Livio Livius: Jan 30, 16 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The investigation is still underway.
Your conclusion is premature and your post title is misleading.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
Today mechanical doping was detected during WC cyclecross Heusden-Zolder ladies U23 at the bike of Femke van den Driessche.
The UCI is testing an app on a tablet to quickly scan a bike to see for any irregularities.

More to follow.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/uci_detains_bike_cyclocross_worlds_394233_394233

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/...#llQbc6Q4mhF1ix45.99 [quote/]

"The race was battered by drenching rain and blustery winds, Van den Driessche did not manage to crack the top 10, and abandoned the race with one lap to go."

It's interesting that she was suspected and the bike impounded. I wonder if something shorted out due to the heavy rain and steam started coming out of embarrassing places.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jan 30, 16 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those understanding dutch

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/2.25755/VeldrijdenWK/1.2559751?playlist=7.51343

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/2.25755/VeldrijdenWK/1.2559749?playlist=7.51343

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:

More to follow.

I hope she is banned for life if true.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [alex_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_m wrote:
The investigation is still underway.
Your conclusion is premature and your post title is misleading.

I do not see any misleading. It is confirmed by Peter Van Den Abeele UCI Coordinator.
It is clear that the bike was not as per UCI standard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard that the bike wasn't one of her race bikes - but a friends bike who had brought it into the pits where he was mechanicing.....

I'm sure all will be revealed soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the article you linked-to:

"Although the UCI confirmed the ongoing investigation and the bike, it did not confirm the details of the issue or how the issue was detected. Officials said in a brief statement to the press that the investigation would continue."

Nowhere is mechanical doping mentionned.
Your title is misleading.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [alex_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_m wrote:

"Although the UCI confirmed the ongoing investigation and the bike, it did not confirm the details of the issue or how the issue was detected. Officials said in a brief statement to the press that the investigation would continue."

As per belgium cycling union: a electrical device was found in the seattube and crank.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Livio Livius wrote:

More to follow.

If whats true? You don't even know whats being alleged yet. Could be as simple as a tire that measured large or as egregious as an ebike. Lets hold the judgement until more details are released.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The official statement by UCI

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) confirms that pursuant to the UCI’s Regulations on technological fraud a bike has been detained for further investigation following checks at the Women’s Under 23 race of the 2016 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships. This does not concern any of the riders on the podium. Further details will be shared in due course.
Last edited by: Livio Livius: Jan 30, 16 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_m wrote:

"technological fraud" is mentioned. That's one thing, so far:
http://www.evolutionary.org/...g-introduced-by-uci/

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea, we should band everybody for life that breaks any rule!!!!

even when we dont know what the hell we are talking about.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now they are just checking her bike out which is the equivalent of taking a blood or urine sample.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Livio Livius wrote:

More to follow.

From the article:

"According to UCI rules, technological fraud is punishable by disqualification, a suspension at least six months, and a fine of up to 200,000 Swiss francs. A team found guilty of mechanical fraud also could face a suspension and a fine as large as one million francs."

This should be a 4 year ban for the individual with the team immediately suspended for an entire 365 days
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Belgian tv (Sporza) says the UCI commissioners were testing bikes with a Tablet. Apparently their scan found something on this bike. After that they took of the saddle and saw wiring. Then they tried to take of the crankset, but this was somehow not possible ( so they think the engine is there).
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [PietvdZw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PietvdZw wrote:
Belgian tv (Sporza) says the UCI commissioners were testing bikes with a Tablet. Apparently their scan found something on this bike. After that they took of the saddle and saw wiring. Then they tried to take of the crankset, but this was somehow not possible ( so they think the engine is there).

This is just as bad as EPO. I actually feel it is worse. At least the dopers are screwing up their physiology and messing with nature....mechanical dopers, get to keep their natural health and steal wins.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
yea, we should band everybody for life that breaks any rule!!!!

even when we dont know what the hell we are talking about.......

If it turns out there is a small motor that adds additional watts, then yes, I would support a lifetime ban from this sport although they cannot impose that under the current rules. Really, she should just go out for motocross if that's her thing and race others on similarly powered vehicles. Why is it wrong to throw people out of sports (assuming she is guilty) when their fundamental character is revealed that they would use a device that so profoundly alters the essence of a level playing field as well as being expressly against the rules? We should not ban folks for life for every rule in sport (e.g., littering on the bike) but definitely should when someone seeks an unfair advantage. You might say that is the case with drafting, but unfortunately, we cannot always attest to motive especially with things like a slow pass or failure to pass and falling back out of the draft zone. On the contrary, chemical doping and mechanical doping reveal intent and an absolute lack of concern for the spirit of competition. And if a lifetime ban is too much for you, then let's go with 6 years ... long enough that someone might find an alternative sport in the meantime.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [PietvdZw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is true then it's quite remarkable and shows the UCI's suspicions are well founded.

I know it's not very logical but for some reason I also find this far more egregious than biological doping; even though they're both deliberate and premeditated transgression of the rules, at the very least dopers are still using their own legs to turn the pedals.
Last edited by: aw3: Jan 30, 16 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Right now they are just checking her bike out which is the equivalent of taking a blood or urine sample.

Not quite the same. I think you'd know pretty much on the spot if someone had a motor. Unlike taking samples. The UCI does these checks all the time, and they've never, to my knowledge, detained a bike for further investigation and issued a press release with the term "technological fraud" in it.

It's reasonably safe to say something very much out of the routine has happened.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 30, 16 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
If this is true then it's quite remarkable and shows the UCI's suspicions are well founded.

I know it's not very logical but for some reason I also find this far more egregious than biological doping; even though they're both deliberate and premeditated transgression of the rules, at the very least dopers are still using their own legs to turn the pedals.

I can't wait to see what excuses she comes out with!

First of all, the only reason doping is against the rules is because the authorities want to save stupid athletes from themselves and have them race in a safe natural way rather than dramatically altering their physiology to the point that it can become dangerous (both short and long term). This is the fundamental reason why we don't allow a free for all on drugs. The dopers who use pharmaceutical aid, at least they are playing russian roulette with their health (either short or long term). Mechanical dopers keep their health and steal the prize. I am not saying I support chemical dopers but at least they are willing to risk their physiology for glory. To me they deserve a lower penalty than mechanical dopers....so yes, 4 years for chemical dopers, life for mechanical!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:

Yes, it will take weeks of careful lab analysis to tell if there is a motor in the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cougie wrote:
I've heard that the bike wasn't one of her race bikes - but a friends bike who had brought it into the pits where he was mechanicing.....

I'm sure all will be revealed soon.

From the article

"A report in the Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad, meanwhile, quoted her father as saying that the bike in question was not used in competition.
“It’s not Femke’s bike,” he reportedly said. “Someone from her team, who sometimes trains with her, brought the bike to the pit. But it was never the intention that she would ride it. … Femke has absolutely not used that bike in the race. We are strongly affected by what’s happened. Femke is totally upside-down.”
Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/...#AXDWGMYhsW1OR3if.99"

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical doping World Championship Under 23 cyclocross race [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next