Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
May Swim Challenge!
Quote | Reply
Challenge: swim 4x a week this month.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: May Swim Challenge! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11 mi run (3 mi 26:18, 3 mi 24:22, 3 mi 23:29), 300 yd swim. Yes, short - sore muscle in my back and the twisting motion involved in swimming didn't feel good.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3300 scm this morning. Nothing too crazy but some descending 25s and 50s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3400 SCY this AM after an hour easy on the bike. Warmed up with 500 easy, 10x50yds of fist drills. Then main set of 12x200 as 2 at 1:30, 1 @ 1:40. Rests were 22.5 seconds for the 1:30.

Have started using a tempo trainer and love how much easier it is to pace these intervals. No guessing, and much less likely to come up short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 3 challenges to myself

1. 2000m IM as 10x200mIM continuous no rest
  2. 25 dolphin kick underwater no breathing with fins
  3. 25 dolphin kick underwater no breathing without fins

I am pretty sure I will fail on 3. I doubt I can get to 20 meters. 1 and 2 should be "no problem". Actually 2 should be easy. 1 will be a slog, but I think I have the skills in back and breast to do 1. I have the endurance and strength.

Bonus goal would be to get 50m fly down below 45 seconds. I doubt I can do that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4,400 yards continuous at a casual to medium pace, hard the last 200 yards. 59 minutes and 28 seconds. (1:21/100yds pace)

Did 5 days of that last week, hitting a total of 22,100 yards. Cleaned up the form reeeeeaaaaaal nice.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Challenge: swim 4x a week this month.

And for once I'm ahead of you and got it created in the Training Log. Go get 'em, swimmers!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: May Swim Challenge! [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: May Swim Challenge! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a terrible swimmer and #2 is no problem. I would caution against #3 as I accomplished that too but came close to Shallow Water Blackout. Funny how the drive to accomplish that over rode the common sense to come up for air.
Quote Reply
Re: May Swim Challenge! [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
I'm a terrible swimmer and #2 is no problem. I would caution against #3 as I accomplished that too but came close to Shallow Water Blackout. Funny how the drive to accomplish that over rode the common sense to come up for air.

yeah, number 2 should be no problem. I kind of fluked into it today before I posted this list when I pushed off the wall and started my usual 500m fins were I do half of each length under water and do the other half kick on side, or back. I just kept going and emerged at around 21-22m, so with a proper push off, and some rest should be not problem. Number 3 is a stupid human trick category, and I THINK I am smart enough to bail early enough, but maybe you are right. Today I got to around 15m without a huge issue. Adding 10 m to that is not in the real of possibility based on endurance. My thought is the only way I get close is improving my streamline and the efficiency/timing/amplitude/frequency of the dolphin kick. This is not something that I could get to based on "enhanced endurance". But maybe just strike the 25m off the list and focus on 20m for the sake of safety? Deal?

So 20 m it is? The hard part is "measuring that out" so I will need to pick the lane rope point that corresponds to 20m. This way I won't get tempted into 'black out zone"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a smart compromise.
I think I accomplished 4 swims a week in April but didn't sign up for the challenge.

This month I'm going to try to:
1. Drop to less than 20 strokes/25 yards--currently at 22.
2. Hold 1 minute 50 yards, currently at 1:05 for 10x100.
3. Add breast stroke and back stroke--haven't tried them in years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
roubaixman wrote:

yeah, number 2 should be no problem. I kind of fluked into it today before I posted this list when I pushed off the wall and started my usual 500m fins were I do half of each length under water and do the other half kick on side, or back. I just kept going and emerged at around 21-22m, so with a proper push off, and some rest should be not problem. Number 3 is a stupid human trick category, and I THINK I am smart enough to bail early enough, but maybe you are right. Today I got to around 15m without a huge issue. Adding 10 m to that is not in the real of possibility based on endurance. My thought is the only way I get close is improving my streamline and the efficiency/timing/amplitude/frequency of the dolphin kick. This is not something that I could get to based on "enhanced endurance". But maybe just strike the 25m off the list and focus on 20m for the sake of safety? Deal?

So 20 m it is? The hard part is "measuring that out" so I will need to pick the lane rope point that corresponds to 20m. This way I won't get tempted into 'black out zone"

The thing is, you won't know you are nearing "the blackout zone" while you are underwater. The blackout happens as you surface, when the partial gas pressure of oxygen in your lungs drops past that point of no return. So, knowing that, and you're willing to take the risk, the deeper you do this little challenge, the further you'll be able to get. As an aside, in my youth, my perceived unstoppable youth, I went 2 and a half lengths underwater (25 yard pool), with a kickboard - both hands on it, doing breaststroke kick.

This morning back into the pool for an easy 2000 yards after four days of competition
500s
8x100 kwf all strokes
6x100@2:00 alt IM/free
100 backstroke cool

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed yesterday's swim due to thunderstorms but swam 2700 sim today. It's a good thing my wife loves and trusts me as this is the second time in a row I ended up swimming with a buddy's wife!

700m warmup (100's and 50's)
5x(25,50,75,100,75,100,50,25)

I'm a big fan of ladders as the distance changes every time and I am easily bored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

It's a stupid human trick, it's dangerous, and it sets a bad example. Imagine kids watching you and trying to do the same thing, then blacking out. Please don't :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
My 3 challenges to myself

1. 2000m IM as 10x200mIM continuous no rest
  2. 25 dolphin kick underwater no breathing with fins
  3. 25 dolphin kick underwater no breathing without fins

I am pretty sure I will fail on 3. I doubt I can get to 20 meters. 1 and 2 should be "no problem". Actually 2 should be easy. 1 will be a slog, but I think I have the skills in back and breast to do 1. I have the endurance and strength.

Bonus goal would be to get 50m fly down below 45 seconds. I doubt I can do that too.

Don't do the stupid human tricks. Please...

https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/default-source/clinics/online-clinic-series/sports-med/12-10-14-shallow-water-blackout--bob-bowman.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was only 1200. Felt like crap.

Today 3200.
200swim
2 x100 pull
100 kick on back
2 x 500
2 x 200
C/D 50 back
150 free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to pile on and say to ditch the underwater 25s. Challenge yourself to doing a few good solid dolphin kicks off each and every wall instead.

I did an 1800m lunch swim today. Supposed to swim longer this morning but I got to the pool and only had a towel in my swim bag. :(
Quote Reply
Re: May Swim Challenge! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.7 mi run w/ 4.5 mi @ 7:41 pace; 500 yd swim as sidestroke and elementary backstroke.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: May Swim Challenge! [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3400 SCM - tired this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 hour nonstop freestyle.

4,450 yds in 59:33. Swimming casually/moderate and focusing on technique, going hard the last 100, sprinting the last 50. Took off swim cap with about 15 minutes left because water was just too hot.

Set a new PR at 1:20 per 100 yd. pace average, down from 1:25 a few months ago.

Another swim on Friday and then Rookie Tri in Austin on Sunday!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: May Swim Challenge! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on getting faster!

9.5 mi run w/ 4.6 mi progressive (8:00, 7:53, 7:47, 7:41, .6 @ 7:35)
500 yds sidestroke, elementary backstroke, breaststroke

Quote Reply
Re: May Swim Challenge! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
1 hour nonstop freestyle.

4,450 yds in 59:33. Swimming casually/moderate and focusing on technique, going hard the last 100, sprinting the last 50. Took off swim cap with about 15 minutes left because water was just too hot.

Set a new PR at 1:20 per 100 yd. pace average, down from 1:25 a few months ago.

Another swim on Friday and then Rookie Tri in Austin on Sunday!

you guys are crazy fast. Good luck in your tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's main set was

5x200 IM as 50 fly-25back-25breast-100 free

+

600m continuous as 100 fly-100 free-100 fly-100 free-100 fly-100 free

I think my catch may have gotten a bit better on fly working on breast stoke last month
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May 2
Morning ocean swim in 60 degree water wearing only T1 wetsuit top (working on acclimating) 2220 yards in 33 minutes
Lunchtime Brick with 14.2 mile bike and 1.5 mile run

May 3
Morning ocean swim. A new swell from the west and so water is warming - up to 62, but still wore wetsuit top. 2568 yards in 37 minutes
Lunchtime bike ride - part of OC Triathlon course with the nasty Modjeska Grade thrown in. 20 miles in 1:15 with 1800 feet of climbing.
Probably Dusk Patrol ocean swim tonight - back at Shaw's Cove.

There was a shark bite victim a couple days ago, fairly close by. This sent all the helicopters up to scan the local beaches and, lo and behold, they spotted 9 sharks! So now the scare factor is up and I'm being asked if I am crazy or did I see any. I replied that I didn't but I saw about ten people texting while driving.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next