Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Maximum Trainer - Question/Bug thread
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I received a few request to start a support thread on MaximumTrainer, so here it is!

If you are trying the beta and have any suggestion/question/complain/bug, just post it there!
Thanks,

Latest version note

Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Last edited by: MaximumTrainer: May 14, 15 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: MaximumTrainer Question/Bug thread [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
finally got my ant+ usb stick in the mail. its a garmin mini and works. although I have a power2max which paired properly on maximum trainer (for power). power2max also has cadence but won't pair with cadence sensor when I hit search it says it hasn't found a cadence sensor. idk if its because my pm is already connected (for power sensor) but cadence doesn't show during a workout. I also don't know if power2max is the only pm with in built cadence that doesn't seem to work for both power and cadence on maximum trainer. I don't normally use cadence in workouts anyways but just thought I would let you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nevermind I fixed it I had to change source of cadence from cadence sensor to power meter . great program, just as good as trainerroad yet it is free!
for some reason cadence isn't being displayed at the blue gear when doing my workout but I know it is connected because the workout started and is set to start when I pedal over 50rpm. Any reason as to why this might be. I'm really enjoying playing around with this software
Last edited by: fruity: Oct 17, 14 21:29
Quote Reply
Re: MaximumTrainer Question/Bug thread [fruity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have enjoyed playing with Maximum Trainer for a bit. It seems very good and very comparable to trainerroad yet it is free. I managed to display cadence by going to settings and I changed the cadence under "display" from minimalist to detailed. Shows interval and workout average and interval and workout max, current cadence, and how far below or above target you are. The power works as well as heart rate. Everything works as it should just. The only thing I don't know how to do (or whether it is possible) is to calibrate my power meter. On my garmin 500 go and calibrate my power meter before every ride, I am not sure if it is possible to do on maximum trainer. Also, I still wish it would be possible to create an option to determine power targets as an exact wattage rather than percent of ftp when creating workouts. Perhaps another thing to consider is minimizing the workout screen in order to enlarge the media that would be playing otherwise the movie screen is very small on a laptop. Is it possible to change current power from let's 1sec average to 3sec average ect...
Last edited by: fruity: Oct 18, 14 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fruity wrote:
I have enjoyed playing with Maximum Trainer for a bit. It seems very good and very comparable to trainerroad yet it is free. I managed to display cadence by going to settings and I changed the cadence under "display" from minimalist to detailed.
Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated! I have found the problem with the "minimalist" display, it will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, the other display option should work fine.

fruity wrote:
The only thing I don't know how to do (or whether it is possible) is to calibrate my power meter. On my garmin 500 go and calibrate my power meter before every ride, I am not sure if it is possible to do on maximum trainer
Not yet possible to calibrate inside the software, will see what is possible to do.

fruity wrote:
Also, I still wish it would be possible to create an option to determine power targets as an exact wattage rather than percent of ftp when creating workouts.
Still on TODO list :)

fruity wrote:
Perhaps another thing to consider is minimizing the workout screen in order to enlarge the media that would be playing otherwise the movie screen is very small on a laptop
Like this? https://www.dropbox.com/...seMovieSize.png?dl=0
You can move the splitter around to increase the size of the media

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to save a workout that you cut short? All I got was a message saying something like: "exit the workout and discard you progress?".
Quote Reply
Re: MaximumTrainer Question/Bug thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Is there a way to save a workout that you cut short? All I got was a message saying something like: "exit the workout and discard you progress?".

Currently the workout history is saved only when it is 100% completed (it create a .tcx file inside your history folder)
In the future I want to change that, so that you can leave before and still save what you have done (and also integrate the .fit file format)
Adding to my list of things to do :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another thing to potentially add to the list is normalized power for the workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fruity wrote:
another thing to potentially add to the list is normalized power for the workout.

Hey fruity, I've been reading on NP, IF and TSS, i'm quite new to theses metrics.
I found a good explanation here on Slowtwitch :
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ng_the_Data_302.html

Would it be interesting to also know the IF and TSS of your workouts before doing them?

Note to self, check if theses formulas are good:
Normalized Power
1 -Calculate the average power every 30secs,
2 -Put the value of step1 ^4
3 -Average of all values calculated in step2
4 -Fourth root of step3 value
**What if the workout can't be divided in 30secs segments?

Intensity Factor
IF = NP/FTP

Training Stress Score
TSS = (IF^2) * DurationHrs x 100

Last edited by: MaximumTrainer: Oct 21, 14 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes it would be interesting to know the if and tss before the workout.
no idea about the formulas though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC for TSS, there is a 30-second rolling average smoothing applied to the data prior to the 4th order application, not simply average power across the interval.
Quote Reply
Re: MaximumTrainer Question/Bug thread [fisherman76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fisherman76 wrote:
IIRC for TSS, there is a 30-second rolling average smoothing applied to the data prior to the 4th order application, not simply average power across the interval.

Hey, I'm guessing you mean for NP? I'm still trying to figure the exact formula, by the way, I have power data for every seconds of the workout.
Thanks for your help!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you saw my edit last time:
Is it possible to change current power that is displayed from let's 1sec average to 3sec average ect...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fruity wrote:
Not sure if you saw my edit last time:
Is it possible to change current power that is displayed from let's 1sec average to 3sec average ect...

Hey Fruity,
As of right now, there is no average on the data shown, it is the real-time value coming from your ANT+ sensor (maximum 4 values per second)
I could make an option like "average power data display" that you can activate or not, and specify the length in second (1 to 5 secs) maybe?

Quote Reply
Re: MaximumTrainer Question/Bug thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

This has been fixed in 1.04, you will still get your activity file even if you leave before the end of the workout.
Just released it, you can play around with it :)

Next I'll be working to integrate the new metrics (NP, IF, TSS,..)
Have fun!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool man! I'll be playing around with it soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An option to enable average power over 3-5 seconds would be great. I used the software last night and really enjoyed it and everything worked as expected. My only issue was controlling the real time watts number within narrow watt banding.

Thanks for the great product and I plan to continue to use it this winter.
Quote Reply
Re: MaximumTrainer Question/Bug thread [bigsur28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigsur28 wrote:
An option to enable average power over 3-5 seconds would be great. I used the software last night and really enjoyed it and everything worked as expected. My only issue was controlling the real time watts number within narrow watt banding.
Thanks for the great product and I plan to continue to use it this winter.

Good! I'll check to implement this function next (averaging power on 1 to 5sec intervals). I don't currently train with a power meter, with calculated power, it's not too hard to stay inside the band but I guess it's harder with a power meter. You can try to increase the accepted power range on your intervals while I add this :)

Good to have you with us for the winter!

fruity wrote:
yes it would be interesting to know the if and tss before the workout.
no idea about the formulas though
I've almost finished adding NP, IF, TSS, you can see current test version here : https://www.dropbox.com/...ricsExample.png?dl=0
One thing I'm not sure for calculating the NP, if some intervals have no power target, it can screw the number for the NP, so i'm thinking assuming a certain %FTP on theses intervals (60%FTP for example), because people are actually pedaling and not at 0%FTP.
Wow, I never noticed most of my workouts are under 150 TSS, which is supposed to be easy to recover from?! Guess my recovery time sucks compare to normal people ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You typically don't have a target of 0% - that's technically stopped. Instead, your interval target for a recovery interval would be 40% or something like that.

Don't forget how TSS works - 100 in 1 hour is the max, so a 150 TSS workout is just dandy. Not 'easy' to recover from, just means you 'can' recover before the next day.

In the 'questions' folder - when I start up the software, there are no options at all, no menu, nothing. Am I doing something wrong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fisherman76 wrote:
You typically don't have a target of 0% - that's technically stopped. Instead, your interval target for a recovery interval would be 40% or something like that.
Don't forget how TSS works - 100 in 1 hour is the max, so a 150 TSS workout is just dandy. Not 'easy' to recover from, just means you 'can' recover before the next day.
In the 'questions' folder - when I start up the software, there are no options at all, no menu, nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah that's what I thought, I calculate with 55%FTP if you don't have a power target on an interval, so if you want accurate NP,IF,TSS calculation, I recommend that you put a target even on your "rest" interval.
Yeah for TSS, I do mostly < 1h30 workouts so that is probably why it is lower than 150 most of the time.

What do you mean with the "questions" folder? When you start the app you should have the login page like this : https://www.dropbox.com/...g/loginPage.png?dl=0
That being said, if you downloaded the software last week there was a problem with the last release, I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall with the one on the website (1.04).
If you still have problem, just send me a screenshot of the problem at max@maximumtrainer.com and we can have a look.
I put a new version yesterday, thanks to Mr. Claude who found the problem in the last one, inside this one there is NP,IF,TSS, but ignore it at the moment, the value shown is just for test and not accurate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Translation issue ;) Just meant the equivalent of 'here's a question'

I'll check my version when I get home tonight, but I installed it Saturday morning, if that helps. I'll uninstall\reinstall regardless tonight. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I was literally looking for a folder named "question" in the program, I feel dumb :P
Yeah i'm pretty sure you have the bad version, I updated it right just after Saturday morning.

The version online now does have the AP,NP,IF,TSS calculation right even if I didn't release an official new version.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MaximumTrainer wrote:
Like this? https://www.dropbox.com/...seMovieSize.png?dl=0
You can move the splitter around to increase the size of the media

That's definitely nicer. Could you even take it a step further to allow for the video to be on a separate screen in a dual monitor setup?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: MaximumTrainer Question/Bug thread [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when I make the graph/ media smaller, and enlarge the space for metrics (i.e. cadence, power ect..) is it possible to actually enlarge the words on the screen. i.e. if I made the whole screen just the power and cadence data, the words/numbers are still so small its hard to read. is there a way to make the words/numbers (especially the small ones like avg power for the interval) bigger?
Quote Reply
Re: MaximumTrainer - Question/Bug thread [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any plans for Kickr/CT support in the future?
Looks great otherwise!
Quote Reply

Prev Next