Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mavic r-SYS SLR wheels
Quote | Reply
I know I may get blasted here as they're not the usual tri specific deep section wheels but has anyone tried, got or ridden the Mavis R-SYS SLR wheels?
Are they any good? They look very light but are they any good for a generalist wheel? They have carbon spokes too, any opinion or experience of these please?
I'm looking to get some new wheels for my roadbike.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic r-SYS SLR wheels [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would pass on those wheels as an every-day wheelset. I'm not a big fan of the plastic sleeve in the freehub body, it requires regular maintenance/lube, and I'm not a fan of proprietary spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbon spokes, what could go wrong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are bigger than average, stay away.
Spokes explode and rims crack.
The bush in the freehub is no real big problem if you maintain them.

They are in now way classed as an aero wheel though and they get blown around in cross winds more than a Zipp 404.
Last edited by: lyrrad: May 15, 17 19:51
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic r-SYS SLR wheels [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know they're not aero and I'd be surprised that they'd get blown around more than Zipp 404s. Surely not. They have 25mm rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair - they came with my Canyon CF SLX. I am 90-95kgs and have not had any problems with exploding spokes or hubs, and the maintenance of the bushing in the freehub is pretty easy. I live in the UK so plenty of water about...

Pros
they are super light for a mainstream clincher
they are crazy stiff and responsive - make for great climbing wheels
exalith braking performance is excellent
they all-black look is badass

Cons
pretty expensive as a standalone purchase
it's difficult to see how they could have made them less aero - you can feel the resistance coming up from the spokes on long descents
in combination with the SLX they might almost be too stiff. fairly easy to get the rear to skip about on hard uphill efforts
I had a coming-together in a road race which resulted in someone's front hub meeting my driveside rear spokes. result was 5 broken (zicral) spokes and the rim going out of true immediately. had to be sent back to Mavic for repair - 3-4 weeks and £450 for a single wheel...

It's this last point that makes me think that they would not be ideal for an everyday wheel. in the unlikely event that something happens to the driveside rear then they are basically unrideable due to the tension that those spokes are under (throws the rim out of true). and your LBS/wheelbuilder wont be able to repair them either. I still want to take them to the alps though!

as an aside I also have a pair of Zipp 404 Firecrests and they are more susceptible to crosswinds than the mavics. but both are manageable - most wheels are at 95kgs ; )
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic r-SYS SLR wheels [Sloggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks that's a v useful reply. I thnk the main common negative on these is the price. Yes they are a bit pricey!!
From an aero point of view, are they any different/worse than any other 24mm rimmed wheel though?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno, they very well could be but for me the weight/stiffness more than makes up for the lack of aero - in road races and group rides all the attacks come on the hills here.

its the proprietary parts that make this perhaps unsuitable for an everyday wheel. for that I'd get a really nice set of handbuilts.
Quote Reply