Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months
Quote | Reply
Matt and I have worked together on improving his swim for the past 14 months. We got connected about 2 months before Kona of last year. He was already a tremendous runner and solid on the bike, but his weakest leg was definitely the swim. We both agreed at the time that if he could make the main pack coming out the water he could win a race. Ironman Chattanooga was his first time coming out of the water with the main pack on the swim.

Matt has been a pleasure to coach. His work ethic, character and humility are some of his greatest assets as an athlete. We are both looking forward to improving his swim further. He and I thought people would be interested to see how much he has improved in the swim over the past 14 months. I've put together a "swim analysis" of his results from his races that look at percent place in the field and time behind the first place swimmer coming out of the water. Considering that he is an adult onset swimmer and didn't pick up swimming until a few years ago his improvements have been fantastic. Also, the majority of his training has been less than 18k a week. The pool where he lives is only open an hour a day for lap swimming.

You can see the analysis here

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Tim Floyd

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Last edited by: SnappingT: Oct 2, 14 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great progress....

Why is it that some adult onset swimmers improve and others don't even with coaching?

2012 KS 'time behind' looks off.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pessimistic view: because many of them don't turn the recommendations & changes into permanent fixtures of their swim & don't spend enough time "practicing" to make things stick...so they revert &/or continue with some bad form. I've never seen someone follow the guidance, put in the work & remain slow. Not get fish-fast? Yes, it just happens, body structure, talent, etc...but never truly remain stagnant.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ding, ding, ding.

I'd actually say that, if you are an adult-onset swimmer, you can NEVER make things permanent. You can never make things "stick." You need to constantly be vigilant against reversion.

I think the best example of this was Macca, who is hardly what I'd call an "adult-onset" swimmer. But, as a triathlete, he didn't grow up swimming the same way that a pure swimmer does. And when he got lax on his swim, he dropped in Kona - out in second pack in 55 in 2009.

Andreas Raelert is another; last year, he came out of the water with me (I was shocked); year before, he was second pack as well.

Crowie seems to have slipped a bit also looking at ITU LD WC.

But none of those three was a dominant swimmer. They all had to work to get there.

Contrast with Pete Jacobs, who - by his own admission - swims about 6-8km/week.

Sutton made an observation about this at some point - talking about the "real" front pack, which Macca/Crowie never were part of and PJ never had been out of. His theory was that Kona was going to be more dominated by that swim. I'm not so sure, and certainly if Sebastian wins, that will demonstrate that it's false.

But I think the clear point is that there are guys - like PJ or Potts, and Dave Scott and Wolfgang Diettrich before them - who can do pretty much whatever they want and swim fast. And then there is 99.99% of the rest of the field (including elites) for whom swimming is a constant struggle.

I think that's why a lot of folks back off. Because it's pretty annoying that you can never really put swimming on the back burner.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KathyG wrote:
Great progress....

Why is it that some adult onset swimmers improve and others don't even with coaching?

I think a lot of AGers mistakenly attribute their slowness in the water to mainly technique limiters and fail to acknowledge how crucial the engine is. For example, if you're 1:50-2:00/100, no technique fix is going to drop you to sub 1:25/100 with no fitness gain. And a 1:25/100 swimmer could literally and realistically beat the pants off that 1:50/100 swimmer even with one arm tied to their waist AND wearing a drag suit because they are so much more powerful. Hiring expensive coaches will not close this gap in the absence of big volume or intensity unless you are talented (yes, quite a few folks on ST are quite talented for typical AGers but they are not the norm.)

I'm also curious to know if coaching was the reason for the real big improvement, which was between 2011-2012, where his swim went from MOPish 45% @ Kona to FOP top 10% in 2012. He's continued to improve since then, which is great, but the real game-changer was that first 2011-12 burst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KathyG wrote:
Great progress....

As an adult onset swimmer (started age 25) who has achieve some triathlon swim success, I attribute my swimming ability to my proprioceptive ability: I know what my body is doing, I can understand what it should be doing (when told or so informed), and I can change what my body is doing accordingly. I have seen people in the water who it is clear don't have that ability. I've worked with a couple who I told "do X instead of Y" and they immediately continue doing "Y". They will never progress past where their fitness takes them.

Running is a natural motion; biking is motion restricted; swimming motion is completely free and needs to be learned.

As Jordan said above, for us swim technique has to be worked on every single lap of the pool, else we lose it. It is called "swim practice" for a reason.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested as devil's advocate to see whether you think that your proprioceptive ability, if transferred magically to a longstanding 2:00/100 swimmer, would allow them to swim remotely as fast as you (well under 1:25/100 pace) given no transfer of additional swim technique.

And vice-versa, I'm interested to hear if you transferred your swim power/endurance to that same swimmer but left them with their same stroke, what their speed improvement (or decrease) would be.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 2, 14 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you may have replaced the 2012 Kansas "time behind" with the actual first place finishers time. Unless he had a motor on or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
But I think the clear point is that there are guys - like PJ or Potts, and Dave Scott and Wolfgang Diettrich before them - who can do pretty much whatever they want and swim fast. And then there is 99.99% of the rest of the field (including elites) for whom swimming is a constant struggle.

Dave Scott came out of the water #2 behind John Kenny at age 57 at SavageMan in 2010. Lots about Dave Scott impressed me that day, but his swim ranks high on that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will also be interesting to see the improvements that Lionel Sanders makes over the next year.....Wonder who he will be working with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Ding, ding, ding.
I'd actually say that, if you are an adult-onset swimmer, you can NEVER make things permanent. You can never make things "stick." You need to constantly be vigilant against reversion.
I think the best example of this was Macca, who is hardly what I'd call an "adult-onset" swimmer. But, as a triathlete, he didn't grow up swimming the same way that a pure swimmer does. And when he got lax on his swim, he dropped in Kona - out in second pack in 55 in 2009.
Andreas Raelert is another; last year, he came out of the water with me (I was shocked); year before, he was second pack as well.
But none of those three was a dominant swimmer. They all had to work to get there.
Sutton made an observation about this at some point - talking about the "real" front pack, which Macca/Crowie never were part of and PJ never had been out of. His theory was that Kona was going to be more dominated by that swim. I'm not so sure, and certainly if Sebastian wins, that will demonstrate that it's false.
I think that's why a lot of folks back off. Because it's pretty annoying that you can never really put swimming on the back burner.

Not to be argumentative but I don't think Dave Scott and Mark Allen are/were in the same class in swimming as Andy Potts, e.g. my understanding is that Scott and Allen swam around 16:30-16:45 for the 1650 vs Potts going 15:38 for 1500 LCM and 3:58.4 for 400 LCM, not to mention 4:22.4 for 400 IM, all swum at the '96 Oly Trials.

Also, regarding the "constant struggle", my impression is that, even among those who grew up swimming, there is a huge range of abilities, prob more of a range than in either the bike or the run. Some people just "get it" and pick up swimming easily even as an adult, and some just don't and never really "get it". Even if they started swimming on a team at age 6, they just never were fast relative to the natural swimmers; competent and respectable swimmers yes, but fast no.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm interested as devil's advocate to see whether you think that your proprioceptive ability, if transferred magically to a longstanding 2:00/100 swimmer, would allow them to swim remotely as fast as you (well under 1:25/100 pace) given no transfer of additional swim technique.

And vice-versa, I'm interested to hear if you transferred your swim power/endurance to that same swimmer but left them with their same stroke, what their speed improvement (or decrease) would be.

I'm of the belief that any healthy athlete swimming 2:00/100scy has fundamental stroke technique errors, so if such a person had good proprioceptive ability and were told what they were doing wrong and what they should be doing, they'd be down to 1:30/100 pace quickly, assuming they put in the work.

I have no idea about the second theoretical. A good bit of my swim is due to high turnover (for a triathlete); without reasonable technique, it just might induce more thrashing and more attention from the lifeguard, instead of more speed.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thnk that what Ken is saying, and I happen to agree with, is that his proprioceptive ability is what allowed him to translate the coaching into good technique. Where I might differ a bit is that I think that proprioception ability can also be trained, at least to a certain extent. e.g. dancers practicing in front of a mirror....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I can tell you from direct experience as a totally non-gifted person who took 2 years to get to 2:00/100, and now am finally down to 1:25/100 for distance -

I don't feel that is true in the slightest in that a 2:00/100scy swimmer has equal fitness/ability compared to 1:25/100. It's so far apart fitnesswise it's literally laughable. I've confirmed this with my Vasa erg, as well as the obvious monster difference in my pull at both abilities. At 2:00/100, if my arm landed on the lap lane or on another swimmer, it was like a gentle push. At 1:25/100 (which isn't even fast), it's like a punch. The Vasa erg pegs it at 3x the power for that speed differential, and it feels exactly that way in the water.

Furthermore, just watch these folks swimming at 2:00/100 - their turnover is so slow they can't go anywhere! (That was me, as well.) It's almost entirely a fitness problem in their situation - it is not because they have 1:25/100 ability that moment and just have so much drag that they can't go any faster.

I strongly suspect your perspective is colored by that of your innate ability in swimming - I'm sure you'll say you don't have innate ability, but the fact you swim as fast as you do without swimming huge volume per week is a sign you do have significant ability. (Compare to me being stuck at 2:00/100 for 2 yeras, and that was training as hard as I could in the swim - my shoulder muscles would literally give out after 10k/wk from fatigue back then.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
KathyG wrote:
Great progress....

As an adult onset swimmer (started age 25) who has achieve some triathlon swim success, I attribute my swimming ability to my proprioceptive ability:

What can an adult onset swimmer with bad preconception do? Hard when you think you are doing xxx but in reality you are not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KathyG wrote:
klehner wrote:
KathyG wrote:
Great progress....

As an adult onset swimmer (started age 25) who has achieve some triathlon swim success, I attribute my swimming ability to my proprioceptive ability:

What can an adult onset swimmer with bad preconception do? Hard when you think you are doing xxx but in reality you are not.

Like I said, proprioeption is trainable, to a certain extent at least. Video analysis is a great tool for this. I don't mean taking a video then looking at it 3 hours later. Too late then. The immediate feedback (ideally with coach) is necessary, otherwise you forget what it felt like.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice pro9gress by Matt - you can really see the improvement by comapring IMKS from year to year.

I see you already put an asterix next to IMChoo :)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Ding, ding, ding.

- Which is why it is so frustrating for us none swimmers because we end up feeling like we put nothing into our bike and run, but it is what it is. I try to tell people who aren't swimming well to take a serious focus on swimming starting immediatel. In my time as an athlete I have had the discussion with about 100 athletes or so. Ironically the only person that took my advice seriously was... Matt Hanson.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KathyG wrote:
Great progress....

If I had to guess and that's all I can do from what I see in my own sphere. It's a blend of ego and or reluctance to do things that might not *seem* right. They *think* they know and won't let go of their ideas in deference to a coach. Or they think 'I will lose too much fitness if I spend time doing this' or 'that looks like a remedial exercise I'm not doing that stupid stuff I'm way beyond that'. The same people who whined about the same things 5 years ago at the pool are still swimming the same pace......doing that same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
KathyG wrote:
Great progress....

If I had to guess and that's all I can do from what I see in my own sphere. It's a blend of ego and or reluctance to do things that might not *seem* right. They *think* they know and won't let go of their ideas in deference to a coach. Or they think 'I will lose too much fitness if I spend time doing this' or 'that looks like a remedial exercise I'm not doing that stupid stuff I'm way beyond that'. The same people who whined about the same things 5 years ago at the pool are still swimming the same pace......doing that same thing.

I think it's far simpler than that. It's that more AGers are far more willing to spend money on a coach as opposed to swimming the 18-30k per week it takes for substantive improvement. I know there are some talented folks on this forum and elsewhere that learned to swim shockingly fast on <10k/wk, but they are the outliers. If you're a no-talent guy like me, it takes at least 15k just to slightly improve and 20k+ per week to reasonably improve.

Proprioception etc helps, but it does NOT explain the massive power differential between a 1:25/100 vs a 2:00/100 swimmer. That's all about hard work in the pool to build that engine while simultaneously improving technique.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I saw he made the main swim pack... I realized he had suddenly become the favorite to win that race unless Wurtele and/or Bretscher could break away and put at least 7' into him. I figured 2:50 was that best they could do and Hanson could unleash a 2:45 easy if needed.

I love watching my 72 y/o dad just cruising at about a 1:35/100scy pace putting virtually no power into the water. He swims about 500-600y a week at most in the summer, with arthritis in both shoulders and 2 bad knees.... but you just don't lose that technique. He swam in HS & college of course.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than mileage, I think you need to more accurately count the number of yards per week spent at or above threshold pace. That's where your improvement come from. I saw improvements once my quality yards were above 10k/week. So one thing I'll try next year is further minimizing "junk" yards and really focus on quality sets. The challenge is that mentally, I find it a lot harder to motivate myself for 20x100 or 30x100 on short rest, compared to a ladder or pyramid set. Both have value, bout you really need to push your limits to improve.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
KathyG wrote:

Like I said, proprioeption is trainable, to a certain extent at least. Video analysis is a great tool for this. I don't mean taking a video then looking at it 3 hours later. Too late then. The immediate feedback (ideally with coach) is necessary, otherwise you forget what it felt like.

That was LARGE for me. Small HD waterproof cam and instant feedback. That really only took a handfull of sessions to see how bad I was at knowing where my limbs are in space. Once I was able to get my bearings a bit the curve went upwards often and quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Hanson Swim Improvement in 14 months [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
More than mileage, I think you need to more accurately count the number of yards per week spent at or above threshold pace. That's where your improvement come from. I saw improvements once my quality yards were above 10k/week. So one thing I'll try next year is further minimizing "junk" yards and really focus on quality sets. The challenge is that mentally, I find it a lot harder to motivate myself for 20x100 or 30x100 on short rest, compared to a ladder or pyramid set. Both have value, bout you really need to push your limits to improve.

I agree completely about pushing the limits. But I do think from direct experience that those quality yardage/meters are much more doable if you've already built up to the volume already with easier yardage.

For example, in my recent swim block where I've FINALLY made substantive improvement, I upped my yardage from about 8k/wk to 18k/wk, pretty abruptly. As expected, almost all of the added yardage ended up being 'easy' pace, like near recovery, mainly because I was swimming on dead feeling arms. But once I acclimated, if I pulled back to even a 12k week, I could hammer literally double the quality yards I did compared to 8k/wk, and all significantly faster as well.

I'm sure a lot of the ex-swimmers who previously did a lot more volume and pullback to like <12k/wk, pretty easily do all quality at their lower volume, but as an adult onset MOP swimmer, that totally fails for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
KathyG wrote:
Great progress....

I think it's far simpler than that. It's that more AGers are far more willing to spend money on a coach as opposed to swimming the 18-30k per week it takes for substantive improvement. I know there are some talented folks on this forum and elsewhere that learned to swim shockingly fast on <10k/wk, but they are the outliers. If you're a no-talent guy like me, it takes at least 15k just to slightly improve and 20k+ per week to reasonably improve.

Proprioception etc helps, but it does NOT explain the massive power differential between a 1:25/100 vs a 2:00/100 swimmer. That's all about hard work in the pool to build that engine while simultaneously improving technique.

There's a guy who swims in the morning in a lane next to our little masters group. He's been swimming there for the 20 years I've been there (I also have seen him on century rides and at work). He swims for an hour straight it appears, all at about 2:00/100scy. He is in excellent shape. He is working nearly as hard as I am in the pool (despite his snorkel). He will never be faster, because he drops his elbow completely and gets no actual pull from his arms. It's not about hard work to build the engine. It's all about technique.

As for this "talent" thing: when I started, I was doing all manner of things incorrectly. Nobody just plops in the pool and instantly swims optimally without having studied the stroke. "Talent" is all about how fast you learn technique; combined with how hard you work it defines how far you will get.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next