Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg
Quote | Reply
From this CyclingTips article, we can see that using a skinsuit instead of a regular cycling jersey and shorts saves 134 seconds over just 40 km. I would expect this time savings to be even greater over using a tri suit since there is a lot more exposed skin in tri suits than in regular cycling jerseys and shorts. Bare skin is known to be slower than Lycra.

https://cyclingtips.com/...ime-trial-equipment/

So let's estimate that the time savings of a good skinsuit over a tri suit to be 145 seconds over 40 km. This is a huge amount of time savings that I don't think triathletes are taking advantage of. Even if you account for the time needed to change into and out of the skinsuit in T1 and T2, you still come out way ahead.

For example, let's estimate that it would take you 30 seconds to change into and out of the skinsuit at each of the T1 and T2.

Then the net time savings for each of the distances would be:

Standard distance triathlon: 40km, 85 seconds
Middle distance triathlon: 80km, 230 seconds
Long distance triathlon: 120km, 375 seconds
Ironman distance triathlon: 180km, 593 seconds

As you can see, the net time savings are huge, almost a 10 minute time savings for the Ironman distance after accounting for the time needed to change into and out of the skinsuit.

I don't see any draw back to this and probably triathletes are just behind the times in terms of aerodynamics. Most pro cyclists have switched to skinsuit like designs even for road racing since they recognize the inexpensive and big time savings instead of being silly and spending $10,000 on an "aero" bike with a box shaped downtube and disc brakes.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Sep 9, 17 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd imagine bare skin is faster than a flappy, loose jersey.

So not sure your time savings estimates are quite on the mark.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to run after the bike in a triathlon.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regular cycling jerseys are not flappy and loose. You are describing the flabby skin of the age groupers. Bare skin is known to be dramatically slower than Lycra:

http://alphamantis.com/why-is-skin-slow/
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Sep 9, 17 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
You have to run after the bike in a triathlon.

The net time savings already subtracted 30 seconds at T1 and at T2 to allow for time to change. T2 is easy, just rip the skin suit off and you are good to go, won't even taken 30 seconds, probably more like 10 seconds.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Sep 9, 17 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fake news....

Really I would think by now you all would have figured out that these type of claims are just stupid. Add them all up and someone is riding 40mph for a 40k.. There are just too many overlays in each individual item to sparse out what that item actually saves...But no where near what they claim, that is for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to see somebody get into a high end skinsuit in 30 seconds, by themselves, wet. (also, you can't "rip it off, or be overly hard on it putting it on... look at pictures of body paint skinsuits/similar that have had very little wear time...most are shredded... they are way too fragile to be heavy handed with)

Also, some of the nice half sleeved tri skinsuits are on par with the majority of cycling skinsuits (from what I've seen) and you don't have to change into them. Of course, skinsuits are HIGHLY personal so ymmv on everything dealing with them.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Sep 9, 17 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
I want to see somebody get into a high end skinsuit in 30 seconds, by themselves, wet.

That's not an issue. Just sprinkle some baby powder on the inside of the skinsuit before hand. And there is likely for a market for easy to wear skinsuits that hasn't been addressed.

And I highly doubt regular Tri faux skinsuits are as aero as real skinsuits. Real skinsuits can cover the whole arm and can use front fabrics that are not as breathable that you would not want on the run or swim. And you are just not going to have a good fit with one Tri faux skinsuit that is used in 3 totally different body positions. A cycling specific skinsuit is cut much more differently than one meant for running.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Sep 9, 17 11:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Sep 9, 17 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5/10, not your best work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

Body paint 2.0 or Cuore tri skinsuit... 2 watts. YMMV as always.

But then you have to ask yourself, what is the negative impact of that Tri faux skinsuit going to be in the swim and on the run? That Tri faux one is going to restrict upper body movement in the swim and pull on you in the run. Not to mention that wearing a skinsuit on the run will make you lose massive amounts of time because of overheating and losing freedom of movement. This is especially true with the new rule that you cannot unzip your suit to below your nipples.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Sep 9, 17 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the dumbest posts I've ever read on here.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you even tried to put on an actual skinsuit that fits properly?

If you do own one please do a fit test being wet with your baby powder suggestion and tell us how long it really takes. Even better do it after a pool or lake swim to simulate being tired.

I have to be careful when I put on my full sleeve skinsuit. Lest I move my shoulder into a position it doesn't like. Those with shoulder issues trying to put on a full sleeve wetsuit know what I'm talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Have you even tried to put on an actual skinsuit that fits properly?

If you do own one please do a fit test being wet with your baby powder suggestion and tell us how long it really takes. Even better do it after a pool or lake swim to simulate being tired.

I have to be careful when I put on my full sleeve skinsuit. Lest I move my shoulder into a position it doesn't like. Those with shoulder issues trying to put on a full sleeve wetsuit know what I'm talking about.

Yes, I do own a skinsuit. No, I'm not going to make a mess with baby powder.

There are design changes that could easily be done to make skinsuits far easier to wear. Like for example, make them out of more stretchy fabric with more than one zipper and put a Teflon impregnated coating on it so it slides easily no matter the conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
One of the dumbest posts I've ever read on here.

Dumber than disc brakes on a tri bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:

But then you have to ask yourself, what is the negative impact of that Tri faux skinsuit going to be in the swim and on the run? That Tri faux one is going to restrict upper body movement in the swim and pull on you in the run. Not to mention that wearing a skinsuit on the run will make you lose massive amounts of time because of overheating and losing freedom of movement. This is especially true with the new rule that you cannot unzip your suit to below your nipples.
Please stop posting about things you don't understand

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Hybridlete wrote:

Please stop posting about things you don't understand

Please, let's see how hot you get in a tri faux skinsuit on the run versus singlet and shorts. It is dumb to wear a skinsuit for a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you even race triathlon?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

No, I can't swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
BryanD wrote:

No, I can't swim.

Then don't talk about things you don't understand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Hybridlete wrote:
BryanD wrote:

No, I can't swim.

Then don't talk about things you don't understand.

I understand biking and running. I understand enough that a skinsuit restricts your movement and is a stupid thing to wear on a run because you will over heat. I understand more than you realize.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Sep 9, 17 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See my A2 wind tunnel thread (I'll post a link later if you can't find it). Skin isn't always slower. There was only a 1w difference between a sleeveless tri suit and my fastest sleeved tri suit. I'm not unique in that finding either. I believe Cody Beals had the exact same result.

Once again, everything works together in an aerodynamic system: tires, rims, spokes, hubs, forks, downtubes, apparel, helmets, etc. The only way to *know* what's fastest for an individual is to test. There are some best practices out there but surprises show up all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I call bullshit on putting on a skin suit while wet from a swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Time Savings Using a Skinsuit Instead of Tri Suit on the Bike Leg [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
See my A2 wind tunnel thread (I'll post a link later if you can't find it). Skin isn't always slower. There was only a 1w difference between a sleeveless tri suit and my fastest sleeved tri suit. I'm not unique in that finding either. I believe Cody Beals had the exact same result.

Those socks you are wearing in those pictures should be illegal. There are some things you just don't do because it's just too ugly despite whatever advantage. And why were you even wearing such knee high socks anyways? You actually stop in T1 to put on a long socks but think it's a problem to put on a properly designed skinsuit for Tri? And are those compression socks? That would make it even more hilarious.

And did you test out how hot it got on the inside of your skinsuit during a marathon? You lose a lot more time on the run than on the bike if you wear the same skinsuit for both events. Use the right clothing for the right discipline. I would never even consider it an option to run in a skinsuit, the idea is so stupid.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Sep 9, 17 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You clearly found the wrong thread because I never wear socks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next