Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:26 bike
Quote | Reply
Edit: 4:26 bike...I heard 4:24 at the finish line...finally figured how to change subject line on my BlackBerry Q10

This just deserves its own thread. I got to talk to him on Thursday, and he was super low key about his chances. That bike split on this course in Tremblant is on the "unreal side". And he was riding totally solo, nose in the wind, with no one around. Basically a 140.6 ITT. I should have taken pictures of his Dimond beam bike on Thursday...aside from the coolness factor of beam technology he has done a ton of nice tinkering to improve the aerodynamics and his position.

Well done TJ....a well deserved win in a solid field. Enjoy the road to Kona now. We need an "ask TJ about this win a Tremblant 140.6 thread"!!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 17, 14 19:56
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 .. we need an Ask TJ thread :)

Happy for him. He always seems to fly under the radar!

Would be cool to see his power file.. TJ is known -IIRC- to be pretty slippery riding quick times on low watts.

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [steve_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 incredible performance!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I still want to know if that round helmet really tests best on him =)

great advertising for his bike!

Speaking of the bike... Anyone know what that bad boy retails for?

Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you have to ask...
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said in the range of a P5. I told him that it is tough to compete exclusively on aero because everyone has it and Cervelo certainly has the numbers to back it up. The big differentiator is comfort coupled with aero, allowing the rider to actually stay aero constantly....certainly something he should market to middle age guys with deep pockets and reduced flexibility/mobility. My take is that it is hard for a small brand to compete on the same metric/attribute that everyone has...While TJ rides a bullet fast Tremblant, each time Fabian Cancellara rides fast on a Speed Concept, Trek will win the marketing war...my 2 cents is that Dimond can/should win/differentiate on the beam feature. Sheeesh...I think I brow beat Rob Gray into getting one on a run in San Jose back in June! I really should have brow beat him into getting a Cervelo P5 though given what is in my signature block, but for what Rob was interested in objectively it seemed like a good option given the stack and reach was what he needed....sorry for hijacking my own thread...back to TJ now!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to find photos somewhere... is he still running a mantis position?
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Looked like it when the TJ version of the Japanese Shinkansen (bullet train) went by the other way!
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:26 bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can ride! A few years ago at a shoot out ride in Tucson i ended up on his wheel at the front. He was riding Specialized Transition and me a R3. After 5 minutes at 400W on his wheel I was like.......ok, so this is what front guys can ride in Ironman. (Note, me road bike he all preymantes aero but surely he was drilling 300+)

Humbled. I went back to my place in the group. We rode pretty swift but never saw him again.

Great exhibition he put on today too!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The big differentiator is comfort coupled with aero, allowing the rider to actually stay aero constantly....certainly something he should market to middle age guys with deep pockets and reduced flexibility/mobility./
Quote:

I love beam bikes and think TJ's bike is awesome but is it really more comfortable? From what I have read the beam does not deflect very much at all. Certainly nothing like a Softride or Zipp. The guys that own them think they ride more like a regular frame then an old school beam bike. I would love to own one but more for its look and aerodynamics.
Last edited by: AG: Aug 18, 14 2:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Falco V looks a lot more refined and seems to be considerably cheaper though.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Massive props on an epic ride! When I was checking out the course for the 70.3WC, I considered my road bike for a moment over my p5. Impressive time!! I am assuming the 70.3 is a similar route (i.e. Ironman is 2 loops?...on a side note...I watched my race entry fee vaporize for this very race...I had paid for it before I qualified for the 70.3!

As for the comments on aero/pros/comfort...I agree with the overall feel of this thread....guys like TJ Tollakson could ride a fixie faster than many on TT bikes! So it really does come down to comfort/fit as the most important differentiator of high-end bikes. As for Cervelo's claim to "Simply faster," I think it's more marketing than reality....still not a very easy bike to do anything on...but yes...things are moving in the right direction on that too.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
The new Falco V looks a lot more refined and seems to be considerably cheaper though.

I just bought a dimond and for a second considered the falco. The biggest difference to me was the made in America and the ability to speak to someone directly. The guys at dimond/ruster were awesome to work with. While I certainly spent more money, it seemed to be a better value overall for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
Massive props on an epic ride! When I was checking out the course for the 70.3WC, I considered my road bike for a moment over my p5. Impressive time!! I am assuming the 70.3 is a similar route (i.e. Ironman is 2 loops?...on a side note...I watched my race entry fee vaporize for this very race...I had paid for it before I qualified for the 70.3!

As for the comments on aero/pros/comfort...I agree with the overall feel of this thread....guys like TJ Tollakson could ride a fixie faster than many on TT bikes! So it really does come down to comfort/fit as the most important differentiator of high-end bikes. As for Cervelo's claim to "Simply faster," I think it's more marketing than reality....still not a very easy bike to do anything on...but yes...things are moving in the right direction on that too.

Tri bike all the way for 70.3 WC...you will ride 85k out of 90k bolted to the aerobars...there is barely 5k where you will sit up or stand....let me see if I can track down TJ in the village today and see if he is willing to divulge his power/file
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
everyone jackin it to the bike split time but no love for the run, where technology only goes so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
everyone jackin it to the bike split time but no love for the run, where technology only goes so far.

Sub 50 swim and 2:54 run. Solid all around!
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buck_shot11 wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

I just bought a dimond and for a second considered the falco. The biggest difference to me was the made in America and the ability to speak to someone directly. The guys at dimond/ruster were awesome to work with. While I certainly spent more money, it seemed to be a better value overall for me.

I am looking at Falco but def would need to TEST RIDE it first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

After owning an Argon 18 E-116, I'll never own another bike with horizontal dropouts and TRP brakes, both "features" of the Falco V.

The Dimond is on my purchase list for next year, besides just the coolness factor and aerodynamics, but because it doesn't have these two "features".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Sub 50 swim and 2:54 run. Solid all around!

I mentioned this in the other thread, I don't think he is just another "barely sub 3 guy" He split the first 20 miles or so at 5:55 to 6:20 (AFTER the bike and swim) and then shut it down to finish in 6:39 average. Of course the sports stats mat data is gone today. Interesting to see what he can do in the heat.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My QR with TRP brakes was a nightmare. I never had any issues with the horizontal dropouts, but I do remember David explaining why the vertical dropouts were a better choice.

I think anyone looking at buying a superbike right now owes it to themselves to at least contact the Dimond guys. How rare is it to be able to talk to the designer, manufacturer, and owner? I had a ton of questions before I got on board and they really took the time to answer all my questions.

The images I saw from the race, TJ looked pretty sad during the marathon. Great race, TJ! Congrats.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mantis position confirmed:

Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxtri wrote:
Quote:

After owning an Argon 18 E-116, I'll never own another bike with horizontal dropouts and TRP brakes, both "features" of the Falco V.

The Dimond is on my purchase list for next year, besides just the coolness factor and aerodynamics, but because it doesn't have these two "features".

Two things I'm also not a fan of.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Props to TJ Tollakson @ Tremblant 140.6....8:16 4:24 bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Yes. I think that's why he likes tailless helmets. I think he rides a lot head mostly down and can tuck his head almost behind his hands. I suspect he's getting a lot of bang for his buck out of his wattage.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero shoe covers?
Quote Reply

Prev Next