Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maryland training camp
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm looking to organize a training camp in Maryland before Eagleman and I'm wondering what is the best location to train in this state.

Thanks!
Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland training camp [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not from Maryland but the Deep Creek Area (Western Maryland) is beautiful with great hills. Not sure if you want to stay with flat terrain though since it is before Eagleman? Columbia also has beautiful rolling roads for biking and running. Not sure about swimming in either location as far as pools though. Deep Creek is a nice lake but water is probably pretty chilly in May/early June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quickguru wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to organize a training camp in Maryland before Eagleman and I'm wondering what is the best location to train in this state.

Thanks!
Fred
For Eagleman camp, go with Ocean City, MD, Dewey Beach DE, Rehoboth, DE. Eagleman is board flat with very little to do in Cambridge. The beach resort towns would give you more to do during downtime and are about an hour fifteen from Cambridge so you could do a field trip and ride the course.

The roads in southern DE are very good for Eagleman training- board flat, windy, the busier roads have a ten foot shoulder, the others have no traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland training camp [slbva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just moved to Columbia two months ago and really great riding! You can easily get out West on some true country roads and there are some nice hills. Pool situation is pretty good: Lifetime Fitness if you are already a member is in town; the Columbia Swim center has a great pool with daily drop-in rates as does the Columbia Supreme Sport Club. I have not done much running yet but Rock Creek park is a local favorite running site. And, Whole Foods just opened!
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland training camp [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBB1975 wrote:

For Eagleman camp, go with Ocean City, MD, Dewey Beach DE, Rehoboth, DE. Eagleman is board flat with very little to do in Cambridge. The beach resort towns would give you more to do during downtime and are about an hour fifteen from Cambridge so you could do a field trip and ride the course.

The roads in southern DE are very good for Eagleman training- board flat, windy, the busier roads have a ten foot shoulder, the others have no traffic.

^This. If you want the specificity of flat roads for Eagleman, Southern DE beaches are your best bet, imo. Ocean City is OK, but there are more options in Bethany or Rehoboth where you can stay on the ocean and start a good ride or run from your housing without having to navigate traffic lights. Its actually not busy down there during the offseason and really not too bad; just my preference from having spent plenty of time in both places.

Easton/St Michael's are other eastern shore options identical to Eagleman terrain (plus a nice YMCA pool in Easton) and a little nicer than Cambridge with a few more things to do, but you might get bored if you have down time and aren't on your bike 5 hours a day.

I love Maryland, but if you aren't looking for "Eagleman specific" training, there are many better places in the country to organize a training camp, so if you aren't going to the eastern shore of Maryland or Delaware, I wouldn't be set on Maryland since the rest of the state bears little resemblance to the terrain down there and is fairly congested in the urban areas.
Last edited by: LarryP: Sep 7, 14 8:44
Quote Reply