Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Martindale wheels
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever heard/used/had any experience with them? It looks like they are the successor to Real Design. It looks like they are in that Boyd/Swiss Side/ Williams price point, which--IIRC--is quite a bit lower than the old Real Design.
Quote Reply
Re: Martindale wheels [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Martindale wheels [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the older RealDesign wheels (88mm) and I have had good luck with them. Their new wheels seem like a good deal, and you can get with Powertap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little Jimmy: "Say mister, my name is Jimmy, what's yours?"

TLR: "Hey there Jimmy, you little scamp, I'm Top Local Rider! Do you like cool bikes?"

LJ: "Golly-gee mister, I sure do! Say, those are some swell wheels on your bike! What kind are they?"

TLR: "Well Jimmy, you observant little monkey, those are my *wink* Martindales!"

LJ: "*wink* Martindales?"

TLR: "Yessiree-bob, you little rascal, *wink* Martindales"

LJ: "Wowwwwwwwwww........!!!"

Twenty-five years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill
of hope
For a destination
Quote Reply
Re: Martindale wheels [JacquiAndBoudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackmott and Lawhorve, thank you for the feedback.

Jacqui--I have no friggin' idea what your post is supposed to mean. Perhaps a private joke between you and Jackmott?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Jackmott and Lawhorve, thank you for the feedback.

Jacqui--I have no friggin' idea what your post is supposed to mean. Perhaps a private joke between you and Jackmott?

I have no idea what he is going on about either.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was a stretch he took to make a Wink Martindale joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plead the 5th due to a lack of air conditioning. Sorry, it was funny when I wrote it.

Twenty-five years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill
of hope
For a destination
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anybody have experience with the 9.0 CC Martindale wheels that Herbert published on the front page? Carbon Clinchers with White Industry hubs for $1,599. They appear to be assembled in Nashville (assume the rims are made overseas). Not as aero as the Zipp 808's in yaws from 15 to degrees but close enough for half the price. http://www.mc2bikes.com/9.0-cc.html
Quote Reply
Re: Martindale wheels [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My rims are "open mold" that are used by several OEMs (predominantly in Europe).

The wheels have been wind tunnel tested and directly compared to some industry leaders.
The drag numbers at lower yaws are very good (in some cases, lower at 10d and under).

With the solid aero data produced from available rim options, I decided against investing in private molds with exclusive profiles.
Instead, I've chosen to create value for my customers by building with higher quality hubs.
My carbon Powertap wheels generally run $200-$300 less than similar options in the market.

In terms of real world results, Gray Skinner raced a version of the 5/9 at Kona this year (2014) to a very respectable 4:56 bike split.

Philip Martindale
Martindale Cycling Components
mc2bikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Martindale wheels [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie - as an owner of a set of 9.0s, I have to say they are excellent. They handle extremely well and pair very well with 23-25mm tires, as the rims are 24mm wide. I am on Conti attack 24 in the front and love it, they are really fast wheels. They are top quality and the hubs are silky smooth. I have two athletes that have raced road races and crits on them and they handle really well on the road too. Can't say enough about them and at the price, you cant go wrong. I switched from the ENVE 8/9s and am very happy I did.
Quote Reply