Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marine Corps Marathon
Quote | Reply
Anybody running the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend? I'll be there. This will be my second marathon, and I think I can PR if I can get past the "wall" without imploding.
Quote Reply
Re: Marine Corps Marathon [speedyr1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it in the past. Make sure you get out in front (unless you really don't belong there -- sorry, don't know what splits you are trying to hit here). They don't enforce the corrals, and it is really tough to get around people. I was theoretically in the 9-min mile group, and kept getting stuck behind groups of people going at an 11 or 12 minute pace, through the whole course. Very frustrating. This would be a great race if they would start enforcing corrals.
Quote Reply
Re: Marine Corps Marathon [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only that, but make sure you leave early. I ran it in 2014, and absolutely loved it, but we didn't leave early enough. Although part of that is on me for rarely showing u to a race very early. The Metro however was a disaster. A lot of people didn't have their tickets with them to exit, and the security guards were trying to stop people from exiting without a ticket despite the clusterfuck it was.

Unlike Jelana, I want to say once I hit the 7-8 mile mark if I remember correctly, I was able to run at my pace from there to the finish. On that note however, I got to the start line I want to say almost 20-30 minutes after the official start and was stuck running 13-14 minute miles until that 7-8 mile mark. Other than that, I had a ton of fun at this race and would like to do it again eventually.

Good luck OP!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is on my bucket list, but I have heard that it is more of a scenic marathon (like a Run Disney race) than a serious marathon for the reasons noted above. I want to try & get my BQ before I invest time in doing this race for shits & giggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, first time doing this race. Logistics to get to the start line sound challenging with the metro not opening til 7. I think the shuttle bus option is going to be a cluster F so I'm just planning on walking there, made sure to get a close enough hotel to do that. Will do some recon on Saturday to make sure it will work out as planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
speedyr1 wrote:
Anybody running the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend? I'll be there. This will be my second marathon, and I think I can PR if I can get past the "wall" without imploding.
I'll be there with Canada Army Run, come check our booth by MARSOC! Also running on Sunday, super unprepared but just looking to take in the event and atmosphere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it, it's my first marathon. Using it to get a "feel" for running that distance, planning on doing my first 140.6 next year (did two 70.3's this year).

I'm staying at a hotel close by, was planning on taking the shuttle early, but It's not a terribly far walk from the hotel and, in fact, I think part of the course goes by the hotel.

Anyway, just shooting for a 4 hour run. Not sure if it has always been this way or not, but the start line is "open" from 7:55 to 8:55, so almost a "show and go" if you get there late...although you'll still have to make the time cut offs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing this weekend, (1st MCM, 5th mary)...staying in old town and just planned on using Uber. With the metro issues, I am predicting an S show. Good luck everyone!!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Marine Corps Marathon [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there! 1st MCM, but 10th marathon overall. Living in Charlottesville, VA and going up on Friday. Planning on walking to start, Metro and shuttles will be a nightmare- at least that's what the news is saying.
Quote Reply