Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance
Quote | Reply
Marijuana's effects have been discussed here before so this is nothing new, but a good read nevertheless.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-marijuana-affects-working-out-2015-1

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Last edited by: Ironwimp: Jan 21, 15 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Ironwimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news for some I guess....I've raced with a lot of stoners over the years. It never held them back.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Ironwimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wtf pot is probably as performance enhancing as music and depends on how you're taking da herbal eating=maybe blunts=no
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago I used to work on a campsite in the south of France while I was a student. I shared a tent with this guy who used to smoke weed all the time. He must have spent pretty much all his money on it. We used to go mountain biking a lot and he would always kick my arse on the mountains no matter how hard I tried. Clearly I've put this down to his "PED" usage as opposed to my lack of fitness!
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [p206751] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, maybe we see this in NBA basketball and occasionally Michael Phelps. However, it doesn't seem to be a lifestyle and training choice for a great number of athletes because being stoned might hinder planning.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anti-inflammatory

anti-anxiety

increased pain tolerance

decreased nausea

and, I've read research elsewhere, decreased tumors and increased nueroplasticity

the miracle of marijuana

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait.............. what?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by buzz [ In reply to ]
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#2 is incorrect, first hand experience here seeing the effects on my ex-roomie. It can really amplify anxiety...

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
anti-inflammatory

anti-anxiety

increased pain tolerance

decreased nausea

and, I've read research elsewhere, decreased tumors and increased nueroplasticity

the miracle of marijuana

But also a very high risk of drug-induced psychosis, which can lead to serious, permanent conditions such as schizophrenia.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Last edited by: Staer: Jan 23, 15 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:

But also a very high risk of drug-induced psychosis, which can lead to serious, permanent conditions such as schizophrenia.

Reefer Madness!!!

You obviously have never smoked pot.

Internet User
Last edited by: Dark Mark: Jan 22, 15 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Staer wrote:

Reefer Madness!!!

effects are individual and may include significant adverse effects, just like any other drug that messes with your brain.. not necessarily harmless..
http://www.drugabuse.gov/.../drugfacts/marijuana
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool gov website bro. Seriously? I've known plenty of people who smoke/consume and never heard of this.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe anything the government has to say in regards to Marijuana. That link also says that Marijuana is an addictive substance.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Scotttriguy wrote:
anti-inflammatory

anti-anxiety

increased pain tolerance

decreased nausea

the miracle of marijuana

Lol!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
I don't believe anything the government has to say in regards to Marijuana. That link also says that Marijuana is an addictive substance.

That article is too funny. Don't mind alcohol...you know that addictive, destructive, liver damaging substance millions (perhaps billions) of people love? MARIJUANA IS THE DEVIL!!!

disclaimer: I love me some booze, in moderation of course : )
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
Cool gov website bro. Seriously? I've known plenty of people who smoke/consume and never heard of this.

That is exactly the issue. A lot of other points are discussed and brought to light surrounding marijuana use, but this is one that is never talked about. There are adverse side effects with any drug, but the difference is that the issues with marijuana are not talked about. Most people have the perception that it is not bad for you, that there are generally no permanent negative side effects, but there is actually a very high incidence of drug induced psychosis.

I can source a number of studies and publications on this, but just off hand – my girlfriend runs a clinic for prevention of youth psychosis and many of her patients are suffering from psychotic symptoms due to marijuana. One patient had been smoking for about 5 years, had a bad trip one day, and started hearing voices. So yes, you can smoke for many years without any issue, just as you can cigarettes, but the risk does need to be publicized more. We all know what cigarettes can do, it's written/pictured on the box, but generally, "no one" knows about psychosis and marijuana. If you do, and still choose to smoke, well, that's entirely up to you (as with alcohol, cigs, etc, but at the least the risk is known beforehand).

Dark Mark wrote:

It can be addictive. Anything can. Marijuana may not create physical addiction, but it can become a mental addiction. You can become addicted to anything: food, sex, exercise, whatever.

Last edited by: Staer: Jan 22, 15 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marijuana is as addictive as cheeseburgers, but not nearly as bad for you.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
You can become addicted to anything: food, sex, exercise, whatever.

Which is why bringing that up is kind of a moot point. Its like people saying its a "gate way" drug or whatever. Maybe its the case, maybe not. But I firmly believe anyone who delves into the really hard drugs have had a really effed up life or are just plain stupid. Beyond stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My anecdotal experience is that consuming some form of cannabis does not have a noticeable impact on my workouts. Although I have never consumed a cannabis product and then proceeded to workout, normally it is a situation where I had a cannabis product the night before. On that note, if you are using cannabis as a sleep aide (as I occasionally do) then I would rate the "hangover" effect as minimal, in fact it is noticeably less than over the counter and prescription sleep aides that I have tried. If I take diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in 'ZZZquil') the hangover effect will last clear into the next day - so much so that a high intensity interval workout the next day is extremely difficult. I have not noticed that effect with cannabis products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure, I totally agree with that.

I think the "gateway" thing is brought up because there is a high probability that one would try other, harder drugs. It's like starting in tri - you get a cheap bike, cycling shorts, mid range running shoes, you do a few races, then you start eyeing the fancier bikes, and then five years later you're way deep into the sport and spend every waking minute thinking about optimizing your fit and aerodynamics and when the new Specialized is going to come out ;) Some just absolutely must have the latest, others can keep those urges in check or don't even them at all.

Starting in triathlon? Beware: loss of work productivity, relationships and money.

Last edited by: Staer: Jan 22, 15 7:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
Staer wrote:
You can become addicted to anything: food, sex, exercise, whatever.

Which is why bringing that up is kind of a moot point. Its like people saying its a "gate way" drug or whatever. Maybe its the case, maybe not. But I firmly believe anyone who delves into the really hard drugs have had a really effed up life or are just plain stupid. Beyond stupid.

"What was the problem with just smoking a joint, eating a couple of Twinkies, and going to sleep? Was that a problem? They say marijuana leads to other drugs. No it doesn't, it leads to fucking carpentry. That's the problem, folks. People getting high going, "Wow man, this box would make an excellent bong! *snort* This guy's head would make an excellent bong! *snort*" Relax! That's why I stopped doing drugs in the first place. Not because I didn't like 'em, but because I didn't want to build anything, ok?"
Last edited by: mattbk: Jan 22, 15 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
For sure, I totally agree with that.

I think the "gateway" thing is brought up because there is a high probability that one would try other, harder drugs. It's like starting in tri - you get a cheap bike, cycling shorts, mid range running shoes, you do a few races, then you start eyeing the fancier bikes, and then five years later you're way deep into the sport and spend every waking minute thinking about optimizing your fit and aerodynamics and when the new Specialized is going to come out ;) Some just absolutely must have the latest, others can keep those urges in check or don't even them at all.

Either way if you are "getting serious about triathlon" or "getting serious about smoking pot" you may be eyeing a move to Boulder.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana's Surprising Effects On Athletic Performance [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Staer wrote:
Scotttriguy wrote:
anti-inflammatory

anti-anxiety

increased pain tolerance

decreased nausea

the miracle of marijuana

Lol!

"We didn't have rehab back in the Seventies. Back in the Seventies, rehab meant you stopped doing coke, but you kept smoking pot and drinking for a couple more weeks."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Dark Mark wrote:
Staer wrote:

Reefer Madness!!!

effects are individual and may include significant adverse effects, just like any other drug that messes with your brain.. not necessarily harmless..
http://www.drugabuse.gov/.../drugfacts/marijuana

Lol!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next