Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Marijuana as a PED
Quote | Reply
Interesting read on the subject. I never thought of it as something that could enhance performance.

I also like how he doesn't want his identity known but it gives his recent race results.

http://www.mensfitness.com/...etter-athlete?vfbdc=
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
Interesting read on the subject. I never thought of it as something that could enhance performance.

I also like how he doesn't want his identity known but it gives his recent race results.

Yeah. "Cliff D.", aka Clifford Drusinsky.

http://edge.raceresults360.com/...035-39:1416415291614

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this mentioned somewhere else on here. To quote whoever it was that said it there he's successful despite this rather than because of it.

Otherwise I will just say the article is BS based on this "He regularly completes Olympic-distance triathlons—which comprise a one-mile swim, 25-mile bike, and six-mile run—in a blazing two hours and five minutes"

I know they wanted to work the word blazing into there, but come on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Federally illegal no matter what your state says. Keep that in mind if you may ever want a clearance or have to answer a questionnaire about illegal drug usage for a job.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:

Yeah. "Cliff D.", aka Clifford Drusinsky.

http://edge.raceresults360.com/...035-39:1416415291614

John

While I was insinuating that he's slow at 2:05 now I see that the 2:05 is the result of what I assume is a downstream swim. Would add at least 7 minutes to that. He swam 24:00 at Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not a PED even if Cliff thinks it is. It is a WADA banned substance, like all illegal drugs it is a violation of "the spirit of sport" and a health danger but they've increased the tolerance level for testing to such a level that even if you smoked the day before your test you'd be fine.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think pot is a good ped then let me feed you some brownies about 45 minutes before we race. For science of course. Ill save mine for after :)

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [Danielg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danielg wrote:
Federally illegal no matter what your state says. Keep that in mind if you may ever want a clearance or have to answer a questionnaire about illegal drug usage for a job.

Technically, although they aren't going to challenge the states.

http://www.cnn.com/...lder-marijuana-laws/

However, even in those states, many jobs/corporations/entities will still randomly drug test so you are correct there.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why pot couldn't potentially be beneficial, other psychoactive drugs are.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From personal experience, pot is a mood enhancer, under no circumstance could I see it as a performance enhancer.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why couldn't it help with getting in the zone training or even competing? I was never much into it during exercise, but had lots of friends who smoked when mountain biking. From a quick search there appears to be some evidence it might impair psychomotor performance but lets face it, it's not exactly a high skill demand to run or ride a bike. Seems to be little to no evidence on how it would affect endurance performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Why couldn't it help with getting in the zone training or even competing? I was never much into it during exercise, but had lots of friends who smoked when mountain biking. From a quick search there appears to be some evidence it might impair psychomotor performance but lets face it, it's not exactly a high skill demand to run or ride a bike. Seems to be little to no evidence on how it would affect endurance performance.

Ok, but mountain biking? That certainly requires more skill than just pedaling around at a casual pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

In my experience it definitely helps make cards against humanity super hysterical.

I could see it helping my appetite in an ironman, normally I feel nauseated. Only in small amounts though.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Ok, but mountain biking? That certainly requires more skill than just pedaling around at a casual pace.

Yeah and it never noticeably affected their abilities, like being drunk would have. They could still drop me on an technical sections, which maybe isn't saying much:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal experience -- from a looong time ago -- is that training on pot is a great way to get injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would help me get into the Clydesdale division I'm pretty sure.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
It's not a PED even if Cliff thinks it is. It is a WADA banned substance, like all illegal drugs it is a violation of "the spirit of sport" and a health danger but they've increased the tolerance level for testing to such a level that even if you smoked the day before your test you'd be fine.

how is it more of a violation of the "spirit of sport" than alcohol? Something which has just as great a mind altering effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alcohol is on the prohibited list too for In-Competition use. That said alcohol is a legal substance, mary-J isn't (federally which is what counts). I don't make the rules, I just copy and paste them :)

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strictly from a performance enhancing perspective I think it does nothing and I have seen no scientific proof that it has PED qualities and the anecdotal evidence is based on "when I would have bailed before I wouldn't after I had some pot" is not necessarily performance enhancing. Advil has the same effect of reducing pain while exercising but that is not on the WADA list and indeed, there are not articles like the one from OP saying that Advil should be used as a PED - at least if there are they are not as fantastic as the ones we are seeing for cannabis. I don't think that cannabis should be on the WADA list, I am very public about that. We have this thing in America where we are fine with taking drugs from men/women in lab coats which have long lists of terrible side-effects (which are not on the WADA list) or drinking alcohol but the minute we talk about marijuana our whole demeanor changes. Even the second page of that article goes into long lists of studies saying marijuana is bad when realistically we see very few deaths from cannabis overdoses, if any at all. Hospitals routinely kill people by mis-dosing dangerous drugs. People drink alcohol and kill each other or themselves yet if we were to talk about drinking beers before exercise I doubt we would have paragraphs on the negative effects of alcohol on people both mentally and physically.

Back to the point though, if you want to take a little cannabis before you bike or run or climb rock faces be my guest. If we studied it scientifically I doubt that without the pot those same people would be any worse. I think that people who advocate for the legalization of pot are actually not doing anyone any favors by saying that they smoke pot and then go do something dangerous like rock climbing. The minute someone hurts themselves rock climbing, whether it had anything at all to do with pot, the conversation will lead to "well he was smoking dope so...". I reference rock climbing because someone posted a link here to an article from a rock climber who likes to have some pot before he goes climbing. The thread was similar to this one. I wish I could find that link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:

Marijuana is only banned for in-competition use by WADA.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
rbuike wrote:

Marijuana is only banned for in-competition use by WADA.

Yep and they have even increased the tolerance level and I think it's even just a competition safety rule at this point. You'd pretty much have to smoke a bowl on the event day to get dinged.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I find it rather ironic that I've noticed a lot of mainstream articles and buzz about "beer miles," but there's a bunch of hand-wringing about marijuana even though it has the same WADA status as alcohol.
Last edited by: craigj532: Nov 19, 14 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if anything it'll just make it more entertaining, if there's any actual performance enhancement it's negligible. too much effort to enforce stringent regulation on a commonly used recreational drug that might even reduce ability to perform. smoking def does not improve vo2 max. BTA BONG!!! lol
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Nov 19, 14 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:

That depends. It will vary from individual to individual, and depends on whether it was smoked or consumed, how much was used, and whether someone is a regular user. Since you never know how long you'll remain over the threshhold, I'd recommend around a week's abstinence prior to any potential in-competition test.
Quote Reply
Re: Marijuana as a PED [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Yes, I find it rather ironic that I've noticed a lot of mainstream articles and buzz about "beer miles," but there's a bunch of hand-wringing about marijuana even though it has the same WADA status as alcohol.

New sport: The "Ganja Mile." Smoke a joint between each lap.

New world record opportunity.
Quote Reply

Prev Next