Friday, March 2:
1200 swim
1200 snorkel
6 x 100 @ 1:30
100-200-300-400 @ 1:30/100
5 x 200 paddles @ 3
5 x 100 as 100 free, back, free, back, free
100 easy

5600m long course, while dodging the three synchro swimmers practicing in the same lane, the only lane not rented by a hi school or USA team.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday 3/4

Going through the Guppy Challenge for a 2nd time, this time the Tarpon workouts. Did the Tuna during the challenge.

w/u
6 x 50 easy
6 x 50 bound
4 x 50 kick
m/s
Down ladder
500, 400, 300, 200, 100
w/d
200 easy

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure we're allowed to start the monthly thread. Tigerchik has the patent on that and not only did you violate that, you even modified it to include Aquatic Mammal!!! I think we have to wait for the official thread from her!
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the 4th already, 140 is coming off the bench and now a starter, literally...

Had a couple but only now remember Saturdays workout:

7x100s@1;40 (1;23 to 1;18) 3x100IM kick@2;00(1;53/52/50)
4x200p@4;00/50 all out IM order( 29.7 fly/ 36.55 back/ 37.5 breast/ 28;03 free) 200 pace for dan(2;51)
100SD
2400scy
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to steal Dr Tigerchick's thunder, and I hope she'll approve of me starting this month.

6 x 1000 (1:17s), rest :15-30 to drink and look around
200 @ 2:40
4 x 50 @ :40
200 free
200 as 25k, 25 back, 50 free
400 free

7000scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquatic mammals in the spirit of inclusion. ;)

Pick your species: marlin, mako, sea bass, catfish, flounder, scrod.... orca, dolphin, porpoise, narwhal, sea lion, seal, walrus, polar bear, otter, manatee...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my Cal Tech Pentathlon. Needless to say, I am not a sprinter. And, that’s further compounded by a lot of ocean swimming and a recent focus on trail running. And that’s further compounded by my bum hip which I’m seeing the doctor about, tomorrow, my flip turns (back & free) we’re done with trepidation, slow. Plus, on top of that, I had goggle issues; did the fly, back and IM with goggles full if water. Okay, enough “Woe is me.”
Fly 35:80
Back 37:03
Breast 35:85
Free 29:37
IM 1:16.34
I suck! LOL

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya I was checking out the results of the meet earlier, pretty tough in the 60-64. In fact overall one of the toughest AG's depth wise, and they would have crushed the 50-54 guys today!! With my times from yesterday just a bit faster I would still have been fighting for 4th overall, definitely not on the podium. And how about that battle in the 65-69 AG, 3;09/3;10/3;11, brutal competition. And they would have beaten most the guys 50 and up, except for the podium of our AG.

Way to tough it out, as you say you are not a sprinter, even on your best day!! I forget where and when it was, but they had a distance pentathlon somewhere local as I recall, not that was fun. 200 of each stroke and a 400IM!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I forget where and when it was, but they had a distance pentathlon somewhere local as I recall, not that was fun. 200 of each stroke and a 400IM!!!
A couple weeks from now, down in San Diego — Pancake Pentathlon. Choice of 50, 100 or 200 & corresponding IM. I might go. (For the pancakes, of course)

Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
monty wrote:
I forget where and when it was, but they had a distance pentathlon somewhere local as I recall, not that was fun. 200 of each stroke and a 400IM!!!

A couple weeks from now, down in San Diego — Pancake Pentathlon. Choice of 50, 100 or 200 & corresponding IM. I might go. (For the pancakes, of course)

What is the corresponding IM that goes with the 200's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:

Pick your species: marlin, mako, sea bass, catfish, flounder, scrod.... orca, dolphin, porpoise, narwhal, sea lion, seal, walrus, polar bear, otter, manatee...

I would then have to go with a limping cheetah....useless on land even though at one time I suppose I had some degree of Cheetah legs, and floundering the pool after being thrown into water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's swim was 90 minutes:

12 min freestyle warmup
600 m fins as 4x150 (25m underwater dolphin sprint-50m free hard, 25m kick on back, 25m fly hard, 25m kick on back)
30 min of 200m modified IM's (50 fly-25 back-25 breast-100 free). Generally leaving on 4 minutes
400m 50fly-50 free x 4 in 6:52.
200m easy free
30 min of dolphin kick drills with and without fins and 25m sprints in free and fly during public swim with ropes across shallow to deep end, meaning I was ducking under kids and ropes, but having fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They’re offering 100, 200 & 400 IMs (yards)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run/bike days the last few days.

Today 8.3 mi run averaging 9:05 pace, plus 350 swim/25 kick just to get in.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to the pool this morning:
500s
500p
4x125 kwf IM order
5x100@1:45 alt IM/free
10x50@1:00 25 kick/25 free IM order

2500 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not getting to the pool til tomorrow, but on Saturday I did take my 2 year old to spectate at our long course masters meet, then swam with him fur 45 mins on Sunday. I did a good bit of kicking, pulling him around the pool on a boat.

Lunch today I ran 13.6 kms. That's my longest run since 2008!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3/5

Found out, as I expected, breast stoke with a groin ull is a big no-no

w/u
50 w/paddles
100 w/paddles
150 w/paddles
6 x 100 (50 1-arm, 50 kick)
m/s
Down ladder
500, 400, 300, 200, 100
w/d
200 mixed, tried some breast stroke. Nope, not today.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced a 1650 yesterday. Went out 6 seconds faster on the front half than I did 6 weeks ago, but crashed and burned, going 12 seconds slower on the back half. It was ugly.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My kind of race, the 1650! To hell with this sprint crap going on at the moment!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing worse than going out too hot and then dying. The mile has to be respected, and a good pace sustained. Even speeding up at the 1000 means there's still 500 or 650 to go, and when the wheels start falling off, those don't come back on. EVER. And it's ugly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:

flounder, definitely flounder..
wu
5x200 on 3:30 2:40,46,7,8,8
5x100 IM on 2:15 1:41,40,42,41,40
5x50 on 50, 35,5,5,6,5
wd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced a 1650 yesterday. Went out 6 seconds faster on the front half than I did 6 weeks ago, but crashed and burned, going 12 seconds slower on the back half. It was ugly. //

Well go over and post it up with details in the swim meet thread, we need details!! And the only thing worse than what happened to you is to blow up in the 200 fly, 150 in!!! At least you get to look like you are swimming to the finish, I remember one time taking 20 strokes the last 25, up and down like a surfboard on a leash with a big hold down. Grave stoning I think the call it... )-;
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Not getting to the pool til tomorrow, but on Saturday I did take my 2 year old to spectate at our long course masters meet, then swam with him fur 45 mins on Sunday. I did a good bit of kicking, pulling him around the pool on a boat.

Lunch today I ran 13.6 kms. That's my longest run since 2008!

Congrats on your longest run since 2008!

My workout today was fun/painful. Basically an hour of doing all strokes trying to get to half way across the pool off each push off dolphin kicking and then gasping for air and finishing the other half of the length in whatever stroke I was on. Typically the way it would be is first 25m of any internval I would get to 12.5m, but the rest of the lengths, would be hard to get to 10m. Generally I'd emerge between 8m and 11m. Also did a bunch of lengths underwater 25m sprint with fins and without fins (the without fins I can't really call sprinting, but it was my version of sprinting)!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Raced a 1650 yesterday. Went out 6 seconds faster on the front half than I did 6 weeks ago, but crashed and burned, going 12 seconds slower on the back half. It was ugly. //

Well go over and post it up with details in the swim meet thread, we need details!! And the only thing worse than what happened to you is to blow up in the 200 fly, 150 in!!! At least you get to look like you are swimming to the finish, I remember one time taking 20 strokes the last 25, up and down like a surfboard on a leash with a big hold down. Grave stoning I think the call it... )-;

up and down like a surfboard on a leash with a big hold down. Grave stoning I think the call it

Hey, I resemble that description....OK, actually not any more. I think I am consistent at 11-13 strokes per length 25m SCM fly. I will need to try a 200 fly some time soon.

Congrats Garyp. I don't think a missing the final target by 6 seconds is too bad no matter how you cut it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I'm waiting for final results to be posted so I can see my splits and deconstruct the details of my implosion. Funny you mention 200 fly, because that's what I'll be shifting my focus to for the next 6 week training block.

devashish_paul wrote:

Congrats Garyp. I don't think a missing the final target by 6 seconds is too bad no matter how you cut it.

I missed my previous best by 6 seconds, but my target by 26 :(

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 6, 18 6:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next